i hate the "sproing!"

i have an AR15. it has a recoil buffer in the stock, with a spring that goes "sproing!". i dislike the "sproing!", intensely. it makes the rifle seem cheap and flimsy, especially if i'm wearing muffs, which touch the stock. what can i do about it?
a quick search reveals hydraulic buffers and captive spring buffers.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Re: i hate the "sproing!"

You can:

1) pack the spring in lithium grease (I did this and it works, but it's messy)
2) Buy a JP enterprises captured recoil spring ($150-$200)
3) buy a solid wood stock from boyds to dampen noise
4) trade you current lower for a Fightlite SCR lower
5) Buy a Mini 14.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

senorgrand wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:18 am You can:

5) Buy a Mini 14.
considering in the 20+ years i've had the rifle, i've never taken the stock apart, maybe i should try option 1. #3 has appeal, also. wood, mmmm.. why does the room suddenly feel warmer?
senorgrand wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:19 am I hate "SPROING" too. It's the exact inverse of the M1 "bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang...PING"
yes, after shooting a real rifle, it just seems unnecessary. after the music that is "chinng-clang!", or as you put it, "ping!", the sproing is just cacaphonous. yes, sounds like caca.
Last edited by lurker on Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

I fired tens of thousands of rounds out of M-16s while in the Army and honestly never noticed the sproing. It was never something talked about by soldiers. It’s just the way that particular weapon/mechanism operates. IMO, complaining about it is sort of akin to buying a turbo charged vehicle and then complaining about turbo whine.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

senorgrand wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:18 am You can:

5) Buy a Mini 14.
Or just buy better earplugs. Custom fitted ones are great. They filter noise and keep water out of your ears when you swim.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

The “sproing” is transferred from the cheek-rest to your cheek-bones, grating its way up your jawline to vibrate the small bones in your eardrum.

Unfortunately, earplugs won’t do a damned thing.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Could switch to an A5 receiver extension / spring / buffer. It produces less "sproing" (noticeably so), and you'll also get a smoother recoil impulse and reliability across a broader range of gas pressures.

BCM is out of stock of their kit but you can find it various places online: https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Int ... te-shk.htm

Note that there are various buffer weights (A5-0 through A5-4 IIRC) and the kit comes with a -0. If your gun isn't tuned to have minimal gas pressure, you might want a -1 or -2.

OK. Here's another take: A much worse "sproing!" is when you're disassembling something, especially with tiny parts, and the "sproing!" means at least 1, probably 2, possibly 3 tiny parts, one of which is a spring, have taken a flying leap in some direction you missed, and, unbeknownst to you, has rolled under something VERY heavy with no clearance for your fingers.

After that, the "sproing!" in a working firearm will be a relief! (as long as no parts go flying!)
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

since you mention it i have a flat wire spring on order from KBI ($15) right now, expected to arrive tomorrow or tues. also a used but "excellent" hammer for the c96, which is having sear engagement issues. wouldn't want it to go full auto, now would we?

My Winchester 52 has a "sproing" as well - a cheap, nasty little "sproing" from the bolt. However, it fills my simple little heart with joy as I know it can STILL shoot little tiny groups with iron sights far better than many other guns half its age can achieve with a scope.... It is currently a young 70 years, and counting..... :D
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

it's all well and good to note a problem, and it's fun to complain about, but that doesn't fix it. i originally intended to do this at the range so i could immediately enjoy the instant gratification, but that hasn't happened. so, to make one less problem in the world, let's fix this thing, ok? ready?
here's the new flatwire spring, $15.99 from KBI.
first, make sure there is no ammunition in the rifle.
IMG_0447.jpg
lay the rifle on its right side. see the pin "A' there by the "go/no go" button? push it in, with a cartridge, screwdriver, fingertip, whatever.
IMG_0451.jpg
great, now flip the rifle over, pull the pin out as far as it will go, and open up the receiver.
Last edited by lurker on Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

good. now we can see the spring-loaded detent (B) and the recoil buffer(C). using some sort of skinny pointy tool, press the detent down into its hole, which will release the buffer and spring. you may have to cock the hammer to wriggle and cajole them out.
IMG_0453.jpg
IMG_0454.jpg
IMG_0455.jpg