A new Swede for the Safe

I have many problems in my life. One is my addiction to trying to find deals on internet gun auctions, the other is my unhealthy lust for 6.5x55. This was most evident a few weeks ago when I was trying to win a Trapdoor Springfield (see my other post . . .) and somehow won an auction for a 96/38 Short Rifle Swedish Mauser. For $300 this feels like a good deal. It was cheaper than the model 1896 I got from Classic a few years ago and in way better shape.
IMG_20200307_143611.jpg
This particular one is a 1908 Rifle that started out as a long infantry rifle. In the 30's these were cut down to match the 1938 pattern rifles.
IMG_20200307_143623.jpg
This one had the always helpful armorer's inspection disk.
IMG_20200307_143628.jpg
Level 1 rust, 6.51 bore and it should be vertically zeroed.

Re: A new Swede for the Safe

This one also has one of the later sight conversions. I think this is the m41 pattern sight for use with the new spitzer bullets, not positive as I'm still digging a bit on that.
IMG_20200307_143638.jpg
Another cool addition: Threaded barrel and thread protector! This was so you could thread on a blank adapter. Swedish blanks have a wooden bullet, the blank adapter basically shredded the bullet. All this makes me want to do is mount a suppressor on it.
IMG_20200307_143702.jpg
And finally a family portrait with my 1903 m96
IMG_20200307_144019.jpg

Sadly this seems to be a looker on the outside but not the inside. I could barely get it on paper at 100 yards, it seemed to be shooting way left and maybe high or low as well. I need to take a 2nd look at the rifling and crown and take it back to the range to shoot at 50 yards and see if I can figure this out.

offensivename wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:49 pm Sadly this seems to be a looker on the outside but not the inside. I could barely get it on paper at 100 yards, it seemed to be shooting way left and maybe high or low as well. I need to take a 2nd look at the rifling and crown and take it back to the range to shoot at 50 yards and see if I can figure this out.
why does this seem familiar? :wall: i'd start by giving that fancy rear sight a long hard look.
Last edited by lurker on Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

My guess is someone disassembled, cleaned and just reassembled without regard to the torque, order of torquing, alignment of Sweden to Venus, and humidity of the action screws themselves. Well the first two at least... but don't discount the last ones either.
Be sure to make good choices when you're being stupid...

lurker wrote:
offensivename wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:49 pm Sadly this seems to be a looker on the outside but not the inside. I could barely get it on paper at 100 yards, it seemed to be shooting way left and maybe high or low as well. I need to take a 2nd look at the rifling and crown and take it back to the range to shoot at 50 yards and see if I can figure this out.
why does this seem familiar? :wall: i'd start by giving that fancy rear sight a long hard look.
I did some double checking. The sight is correct for a 96/38. If you look closely at it it actually uses the original ladder, the elevation is just controlled by a screw instead of a . . . Pushy sight thingy

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

foghorn wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:00 am Lightly snug the action screws, drop rifle on its butt several times to seat action firmly, tighten front and then rear screw to 60 in-lbs
Tried this out, the front action screw was fairly loose, probably only 25ish inch pounds. Tightened it up to 60inch pounds then tightened the rear screw to around 50 inch pounds at which point the flathead driver I was using on my FAT torque screwdriver broke. I'll take it to the rifle range sometime this week and see if that helped things.

Took the rifle to the range again today. Set up a target at 50 yards this time. Rifle was top of the paper when aiming at the center (the high part isn't surprising, the sights are zeroed at 250 meters). After dialing in the height aiming at the bottom middle of the paper the shots were landing center left (so maybe 8" off the center mark). Groups weren't terrible for me shooting unsupported off a benchAt this point I think the next step would be to just drift the front sight a bit to the left and try and get the groups centered. Thoughts?