Re: Recommendations

kronkmusic wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:41 pm
ARC1107 wrote:The other hard part about this is breaking the news to my dad that I will be an AR15 owner. lol
Just tell him it's a competition sporting rifle, like a really fancy road bike for cycle racing but in gun form
yeahhh I don't think he would fall for that one lol

ARC1107 wrote:
ARC1107 wrote:The other hard part about this is breaking the news to my dad that I will be an AR15 owner. lol
Just tell him it's a competition sporting rifle, like a really fancy road bike for cycle racing but in gun form
Well it's pretty true, might help him understand. At the end of the day the only thing that really separates an AR-15 from any other semi-auto rifle is ergonomics. A Ruger Ranch rifle does the exact same thing: picks up .223 rounds out of a thirty round magazine and sends their projectiles down range with each trigger pull. They're essentially the same thing, one just looks like your grandpa's coyote rifle and the other doesn't.

kronkmusic wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:07 am
ARC1107 wrote:
Well it's pretty true, might help him understand. At the end of the day the only thing that really separates an AR-15 from any other semi-auto rifle is ergonomics. A Ruger Ranch rifle does the exact same thing: picks up .223 rounds out of a thirty round magazine and sends their projectiles down range with each trigger pull. They're essentially the same thing, one just looks like your grandpa's coyote rifle and the other doesn't.
My dad isn't a big fan of the mini 14 either. the only semi auto's he wants are either a m1 garand or m1a. It would just be a little easier to get him around on the mini 14 than an AR

ARC1107 wrote:
kronkmusic wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:07 am
ARC1107 wrote:
kronkmusic wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:41 pm Just tell him it's a competition sporting rifle, like a really fancy road bike for cycle racing but in gun form
My dad isn't a big fan of the mini 14 either. the only semi auto's he wants are either a m1 garand or m1a. It would just be a little easier to get him around on the mini 14 than an AR
Gotchya. Well, he'll come around. Take him shooting, I've yet to see somebody shoot an AR who didn't enjoy it, even if very reluctantly.

So I did some 308 reloads yesterday and I made my dad go out and shoot a couple with me to make sure the loads were going to work. And he was telling me about how on the job site he is working there are a couple of guys who are braggarts and basically are lying about stuff they supposedly have. Like one guy tried to tell my dad that he spends 10k a month on guns. For him to do that he would have to have a job that paid him at least 120k just to buy guns and you figure another at least 60k to life on.

so anyway he was going off on this rant about how these guys are typical right wing nuts and braggarts and shit and then he went off on a tangent about AR15s and I didn't say anything other than when he asked me what someone would use it for and I just kind of said to add to the collection or just plinking and that sent him off on another tangent about how anti AR he is.

This means that when my new AR gets done its going to be a lot hard to tell my dad I have one than I thought lol. I think I would have an easier time telling him I have some kind of bastard child out there or that I was gay than to tell him I am going to be an AR owner lol

bajajoaquin wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:43 pm How old are you?
Its not an age thing, its just about the only thing that my dad and I have in common so we share a lot of our guns and accessories and I just know anti AR he is so I can just hear the comments I am going to get from saying I have one.

and for the most part I was just joking about the easier to tell him about having a bastard child or being gay.

and if it means anything important I'm 34

lurker wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:19 pm
bajajoaquin wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:44 pm Not you, Lurker.
:cry:
;)
it might actually be more relevant to ask how old his father is. if he's a vietnam vet, for example, he may have personal experience with, and strong feelings about the platform.
He's not a vet of any kind but, he grew up in a house where you hunted to fill the freezer. I mean they weren't completely reliant on hunting but, it helped fill the freezer. His dad was one of the efficient type that he would get you a box of shells and expect one shot, one kill. So, having that mentality my dad views the ARs and similar style guns as nothing but lead throwers. There is no practical use for them other than to throw lead and be an assault weapon.

His favorite quote is that when the shit hits the fan and sides start clamoring to each other its not the guy that shows up with an AR he is going to be afraid of its the guy who shows up with the bolt action rifle. The guy with the AR is just going to let lead fly and may hit someone or something but, is gonna miss a lot more. The guy with the bolt action is going to be the one who takes his time and is going to hit more than he misses.

Hey, my 30's were my best decade! I met my wife when I was 30, and "met" my first son just before I turned 40.
(Other than ruptured disk at 35, that was just shy of needing surgery). Still, better than my 20's.
Still, had plenty of good times in my 40's and 50s. Now things are showing up in my 60's, though life is still good, despite the Orange Ogre/Blob and this Covid shit.
It's not the getting old that's bad, it's all the parts going past their "Use By" date! Or, in the words of Indiana Jones: "It's not the years, it's the mileage!"
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote:Hey, my 30's were my best decade! I met my wife when I was 30, and "met" my first son just before I turned 40.
(Other than ruptured disk at 35, that was just shy of needing surgery). Still, better than my 20's.
Still, had plenty of good times in my 40's and 50s. Now things are showing up in my 60's, though life is still good, despite the Orange Ogre/Blob and this Covid shit.
It's not the getting old that's bad, it's all the parts going past their "Use By" date! Or, in the words of Indiana Jones: "It's not the years, it's the mileage!"
I aged 30 years through my 20s, and my 30s have been much better so far. Hell, I feel much healthier at 35 than I did at 25, without a doubt. With any luck I just delayed the bell curve of aging, but I'm pretty sure that's not how that works