Re: .45 ACP Mauser Conversion, it could be yours!

Didn't end up starting the bluing process this weekend, had family in town and I started a new job on monday so the scheduling just hasn't worked. I might try again this weekend but I have to find that 10-12 hour window where I'm going to be free at the beginning as well as the end.

I have started work on polishing the bolt. Its not going to be perfect as there was actually a bunch of pitting under the remains of the bluing/rust. I could have gone over it with some more aggressive grit but decided to just deal with it as is. Went up from 120 to 480 grit brushes, next up I'll have to buff it.

Sorry for the lack of in progress pictures, the new job is keeping me busy.

Anyway this week I made some mauser soup:
PXL_20201106_042106525.jpg
After 3 runs through the bluing process I called it good enough. Bluing the big parts is actually slightly easier because you can hang them easily. I used layer of cheesecloth which retained moisture and made things a little harder than they needed to be but they came out fine. There was actually less of that red mottling you can see in the receiver, not sure what that was but you get what you pay for.
PXL_20201106_050120569.jpg
Up next I have to get the sanded areas of the stock matching the rest of the stock.

So I've been meaning to update for a while with the progress on the handguard wood. I've stuck in a picture of the color difference. At this point there are 4 options:

1) Keep adding more BLO and hope it gets darker, I'm not sure its ever going to get that red hue though.
2) Sand down the other wood to match the BLO color
3) Try and find some red dye or something that matches the red.
4) Just say this is good enough.

What say ye.
Attachments
PXL_20201202_032802556.jpg

I'd say option 4. In the end the winner can try options 1-3 if they so desire.

Option 1, could easily make a fun project a chore for little impact.

Option 2, could remove the stock's character for some.

Option 3, could end up with you wanting to toss the stock and try again if it goes pear shaped on you. Dye and stains can end up funky from my experience(DIY job trying to fix a floor board that got scratched to heck)

Update. We decided to just leave it as is. The sanded and BLO'd wood isn't terribly out of balance from the rest of the wood and I'm ready to get this done.

I was putting everything back together and found a few odds and ends I forgot to blue. Gonna fire blue them this weekend. Also got some M4 screws to build a new set screw for the rear sight which needs to be a bit longer to stay in place, just need to cut off a mil or two from the screw and fire blue it with the rest and everything should be good to go. Then need to reattach the remaining bits and bobs.

Talking with the powers that be about how we'll do the sweepstakes.
PXL_20201208_194110364.jpg

lurker wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:17 am i'm having trouble imagining how to explain a .45acp kar98 at the range.
I think that depends on the person you are explaining it to.

Range officer: I know I know its 45 acp but I didn't lube it with any tigers blood this trip so it shouldn't destroy your range.

Milsurp Purist: What you never heard of the 45 acp variant of the k98! [Insert dramatic gasp preferably from a friend] I thought you knew military history. You should probably read up a little more and we can talk.

The What's It's Purpose Guy: It's a 1911 magazine holder and in a pinch it will even shoot them. :tongue:

Anyone else: It goes pew pew...