Re: Is this Norinco SKS legal?

This. If it's not defined here as a prohibited weapon, then you can have one.

https://law.justia.com/codes/tennessee/ ... 9-17-1302/
2010 Tennessee Code
Title 39 - Criminal Offenses
Chapter 17 - Offenses Against Public Health, Safety and Welfare
Part 13 - Weapons
39-17-1302 - Prohibited weapons.
39-17-1302. Prohibited weapons.

(a) A person commits an offense who intentionally or knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs or sells:

(1) An explosive or an explosive weapon;

(2) A device principally designed, made or adapted for delivering or shooting an explosive weapon;

(3) A machine gun;

(4) A short-barrel rifle or shotgun;

(5) A firearm silencer;

(6) Hoax device;

(7) A switchblade knife or knuckles; or

(8) Any other implement for infliction of serious bodily injury or death that has no common lawful purpose.

(b) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the person's conduct:

(1) Was incident to the performance of official duty and pursuant to military regulations in the army, navy, air force, coast guard or marine service of the United States or the Tennessee national guard, or was incident to the performance of official duty in a governmental law enforcement agency or a penal institution;

(2) Was incident to engaging in a lawful commercial or business transaction with an organization identified in subdivision (b)(1);

(3) Was incident to using an explosive or an explosive weapon in a manner reasonably related to a lawful industrial or commercial enterprise;

(4) Was incident to using the weapon in a manner reasonably related to a lawful dramatic performance or scientific research;

(5) Was incident to displaying the weapon in a public museum or exhibition;

(6) Was licensed by the state of Tennessee as a manufacturer, importer or dealer in weapons; provided, that the manufacture, import, purchase, possession, sale or disposition of weapons is authorized and incident to carrying on the business for which licensed and is for scientific or research purposes or sale or disposition to an organization designated in subdivision (b)(1);

(7) Involved acquisition or possession of a sawed-off shotgun, sawed-off rifle, machine gun or firearm silencer that is validly registered to the person under federal law in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Records. A person who acquires or possesses a firearm registered as required by this subdivision (b)(7) shall retain proof of registration; or

(8) Involved the manufacture and sale of an automatic knife; provided, that the sale of such knife was limited to:

(A) Retail establishments that represent in writing under oath before a notary public that they only sell the knives to law enforcement officers, military personnel and emergency medical technicians;

(B) Law enforcement officers;

(C) Military personnel; or

(D) Emergency medical technicians.

(c) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under this section that the person must prove by a preponderance of the evidence that:

(1) The person's conduct was relative to dealing with the weapon solely as a curio, ornament or keepsake, and if the weapon is a type described in subdivisions (a)(1)-(5), that it was in a nonfunctioning condition and could not readily be made operable; or

(2) The possession was brief and occurred as a consequence of having found the weapon or taken it from an aggressor.

(d) (1) An offense under subdivision (a)(1) is a Class B felony.

(2) An offense under subdivisions (a)(2)-(5) is a Class E felony.

(3) An offense under subdivision (a)(6) is a Class C felony.

(4) An offense under subdivisions (a)(7)-(8) is a Class A misdemeanor.

[Acts 1989, ch. 591, § 1; 1990, ch. 1029, §§ 2, 11; 2001, ch. 375, §§ 3, 4; 2002, ch. 849, § 5; 2006, ch. 798, § 1.]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short-bar ... s%20length.

It doesn't for the definition for a short barrel rifle (SBR) either.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

mcdev wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:45 pm Cool, thanks everyone. I was concerned because a quick Google showed that there were pre-ban versions and then the waters got muddied by me not actually not being familiar with that kind of gun.

Anyway, when I asked about its lineage he got PO'ed and went away. Oh well.
You quite likely dodged a jammed bullet. I think those AK mag mods rarely work well. Look for an un-bubbad one. No shit of goat for you!
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

mcdev wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:45 pm Cool, thanks everyone. I was concerned because a quick Google showed that there were pre-ban versions and then the waters got muddied by me not actually not being familiar with that kind of gun.

Anyway, when I asked about its lineage he got PO'ed and went away. Oh well.
"pre-ban" just refers to before the 90s "assault weapons" ban.

I have never heard of any SKS rifles manufactured after the early 70s, so they would all technically be "pre-ban".

If you're after an SKS, get one that hasn't been molested by someone trying to turn it into something "tactical". They will all have wood furniture, and I've owned a good number over the years. Russians tend to be the most desirable, but I have owned very nice shooting Nornicos, Yugos, and they all do the job very well. If there was one gun I needed to have in a SHTF situation, it would be an SKS, just make sure you have some extra small parts like extractors and firing pins...

If it's a real MC-5D, it's worth a bit than $2-300, closer to $500.
The "Monte Carlo" stock sucked. That's why I have the same Tapco stock. If it is a real MC-5D I have a stock I'll make you a deal on.
Mine runs perfectly, but it took a bit of work, and the AK mags I use (like 10 + the 75 rd drum) have
all had the feed lips modified slightly. The only mag that worked was the 5 rounder that came with it.

But from the photos, something just looks wrong with this one...
"I hope ever to see America among the foremost nations in examples of justice and liberality" - George Washington

Yeah, that was a rarer SKS (Sporter or D or something) in an aftermarket stock. They had shorter (16") barrels vs the standard 20" SKS barrel. The bayonet lug is also removed on those models. It would say "Sporter" or whatever model on the receiver. They use AK mags and shoot like champs.

I have one in original condition and it is worth quite a bit compared to a Shockwave. I don't know what it is worth in bubba condition. That one is compliant with all Federal laws regarding parts (922r compliant).

I am a fan of the SKS but not the Shockwave, but everyone has different tastes.

This is what the Sporter looks like in the original stock:
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Attachments
sks0336.jpg
sks0335.jpg

Yeah, original receipt from 1993 when I spent all the money I didn't have on it (almost $400). She still looks near perfect.

And normal unissued Chinese SKSs were overpriced at $99 back then.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

There were definitely 2 different "sporter" styles made.
The thumbhole "Sporter", like yours, having the AK-style mag release, shortened to 16" and the lug for the cleaning rod.
Nice you still have the original box! I finally tossed mine last year. Bought it new in 95?

The MC-5D had a more hunting style "Monte Carlo" stock, the SKS sliding mag release for the 5-rd mag and no cleaning rod lug.
So the one in the photo is an MC-5D, but has a milled trigger group. Nice touch.
"I hope ever to see America among the foremost nations in examples of justice and liberality" - George Washington