Re: Henry lever-action .22LR

I have been a gunsmith for just about 30 years, and its exceedingly rare to find a .22 that actually has been damaged by dry firing. If you did it like 20k times, you could peen the firing pin at the stop...but I have never actually seen that happen in all my years gunsmithing.

The no dry firing without snap caps is a holdover from a long past era. I can't think of a single modern firearm made in the past 50 years that would actually incur damage from dry firing.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

FrontSight wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:34 pm I have been a gunsmith for just about 30 years, and its exceedingly rare to find a .22 that actually has been damaged by dry firing. If you did it like 20k times, you could peen the firing pin at the stop...but I have never actually seen that happen in all my years gunsmithing.

The no dry firing without snap caps is a holdover from a long past era. I can't think of a single modern firearm made in the past 50 years that would actually incur damage from dry firing.
Thank you for that.

Too much of what we think we know is based on lore that itself is based on prior information that is based on old metallurgy...
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

20190415_123404_compress41.jpg
This is from my wifes 10/22 Tac-Sol barrel from about a year ago. A 10/22 is not supposed to do this, but here it is. This is the only time I have ever had an issue and I have a lot of rimfire guns.

I agree it is rare, but I can't discount the desire to use a snap cap either.
Old School
The best upgrade for you firearm is always instruction and practice.

It was/is an entire Tac-Sol gun, expensive but my wife was excited about Appleseed and I didn't have time to build her a 10/22 before the event.
Anyway, it got sent back several times and returned still having major FTF issues. They finally resleeved the barrel after trying to fix the misshapen chamber by reaming it, which made it sloppy. They replaced the bolt first, saying tollarance stacking from older batch caused the damage. The trigger had problems after they replaced the bolt, and since they no longer made them i had to switch to another brand. They were nice, every time, but I am scared off the brand now. No excuses for sending an entire rifle back saying it is fixed when it obviously isn't twice.

Anyway, don't want to trash talk them entirely, I know many people love them, we just got a lemon. It is now reliable and accurate.
Last edited by Oldschool on Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Old School

Thanks. I was mostly gut punched watching my wife trying to qualify and getting FTF every magazine after I told her it was a premium brand. She refused to switch rifles with me. She finaly managed to qualify, but it was painful to watch.
Old School

Bucolic wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:15 am One word: Kidd. I have never heard a complaint about their stuff.
I have a lot of Volquartsen firearms and parts and feel the same way about them. I hear a lot of good things about Tandemkross as well. Definitely some solid choices in the 10/22 camp.
Old School