Shooting Happened - and it was good!

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, Paco, ForumModerator, Marksman Mods

AndyH
Verified Member
Verified Member

Shooting Happened - and it was good!

#1 Post by AndyH » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:48 pm

My son and I got to the range on Monday the 5th and did some shooting. The planned two hour time at the range stretched to four as an RSO and a couple of other shooters joined up for 'show and tell' and story telling. It was a fun afternoon! We fired a couple of hundred rounds through the new barrel Beretta installed on the M9A1. It's a sweet shooting gun and my son spent most of the time grinning. I brought my G17 for a second try with the Vortex Venom. The red dot is sorta 'kludged' onto the slide with a cheap dovetail mount that loosened up last time I tried it. This time it was well tightened and there was a sufficient amount of blue Loctite. Oh, this trip I also had new glasses...and I could even see the target. :lol:

I'm pretty near-sighted. As my eyes have aged, the focus has moved out to the front sight, which makes shooting without lenses pretty easy. It's fine for 7 yards, and defensive shooting to about 20 yards (minute of man...) but if the astigmatism isn't corrected, a 3 MOA dot grows to a really funky 8 MOA blobmonster. That Venom, though, allows shooting with street glasses. The dot is a perfectly round 3 MOA and seriously - an NRA pistol target at 15 yards has rings and lines and stuff on it! :lol:

A couple of folks tried out the Vortex. In exchange, we got to fire an FN Five-seveN and something I didn't know existed - a .22 TCM. This little monster lives in a cut-down 5.56 case and sends the 40 grain hollow point down range at about 1800 FPS from 4" barrel. And damn, the fireball is legit! :shock:

After shooting so well with the Venom at 7 yards, I went back today to shoot at 15. The attached red target is from earlier in the year - irons, no glasses, 15 yards. The NRA target is from today using glasses and the Venom. 30 rounds into 6 inches is some damn good pistol shooting for me. Bring on the next postal match! :lol:
Attachments
15ironnoglasses.jpg
15RedGlasses.jpg
Last edited by AndyH on Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.” Heinlein
You can’t take the Razorback! She is gone and gone and gone!

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Shooting Happened - and it was good!

#2 Post by YankeeTarheel » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:52 pm

Nice!
"Fascism comes along when the rich people get the generals to help them stay in control." -- Woody Guthrie
My son says: "Don't argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!" -- YT

AndyH
Verified Member
Verified Member

#3 Post by AndyH » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:15 pm

I guess it's time to send the slide away to have it milled for the Venom. I'm hooked!

Bisbee
Carpal Tunnel

#4 Post by Bisbee » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:09 pm

Be a man. Dreamel that slide then hand file to get the detail edges.

I’m curious. How does the .22TCM feel next to the FN? I’ve fired the FN a long time ago and recently picked up the .22tcm 1911. They should be similar but always wanted to shoot them back to back like you did, Andy.

It’s fun and weird to see the fireball and feel the concussion but not a big recoil that one would suspect from such a fireworks show. And from shooting at old style tractor engine cover (thick) I can attest that that amazing little bullet penetrates like a mosin!
64B9E464-6CCD-4417-9962-B1F00C2C1C32.jpeg
895CF492-B041-48CD-A4A3-8E4131687441.jpeg
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

featureless
Verified Member
Verified Member

#5 Post by featureless » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:30 pm

Fun times, Andy!

AndyH
Verified Member
Verified Member

#6 Post by AndyH » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:18 pm

Bisbee wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:09 pm
Be a man. Dreamel that slide then hand file to get the detail edges.
LOL I do have a drill press and a couple of end mills. I just don't want the cuts to look like crap. :lol:
Bisbee wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:09 pm
I’m curious. How does the .22TCM feel next to the FN? I’ve fired the FN a long time ago and recently picked up the .22tcm 1911. They should be similar but always wanted to shoot them back to back like you did, Andy.
Very little recoil for both. No fireball from the 5.7, though. We laughed that the .22 TCM wasn't the round to use for night vision ops. :lol: Enjoy your new fire breathing dragon!

Bisbee
Carpal Tunnel

#7 Post by Bisbee » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:47 pm

Night-ops! :laugh:

I thought it’d work great as a hand-held mini flash-bang device. Breech the door then stick the pistol inside to scare the hell out of everybody in the room.

If you have a “vertical mill” setup already, you’re more than half way there! The finish work is done slowly by hand with a file. Look on YouTube to see how folks have done really fine dovetail sight cuts with for their barrels and slides at home. What you are cutting for your red-dot is a helavalot easier than a dovetail. Hell if it were me I’d try it, especially on your slide!
:w00t:

Make a tutorial for the forum!
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

AndyH
Verified Member
Verified Member

#8 Post by AndyH » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:16 am

Bisbee - have you been talking to my son? On the way back from the range when I told him that I was going to send the slide off to be milled for the red dot, he said it was a waste.

He thinks I should mount the Venom on a real gun. :lol:

Bisbee
Carpal Tunnel

#9 Post by Bisbee » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:51 pm

Whaaaat?
Your kid’s on drugs.

Bucolic
Verified Member
Verified Member

#10 Post by Bucolic » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:56 pm

Tell him that my Venom is on a .22 handgun...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Neverthless, she persisted.

AndyH
Verified Member
Verified Member

#11 Post by AndyH » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:20 pm

It's ok guys - he was teasing me. He really likes 'his' Beretta and metal guns in general. It was a really good day.

Also...I'm going to have to spend a bit more time shooting before I get faster at 'find the dot'. :lol:

AndyH
Verified Member
Verified Member

#12 Post by AndyH » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:50 pm

Bucolic wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:56 pm
Tell him that my Venom is on a .22 handgun...

How's the battery life, Bucolic?

Bucolic
Verified Member
Verified Member

#13 Post by Bucolic » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:54 pm

I’m still on the first battery though it’s probably only been on for less than 20 hours or so.

AndyH
Verified Member
Verified Member

#14 Post by AndyH » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:15 pm

Bucolic wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:54 pm
I’m still on the first battery though it’s probably only been on for less than 20 hours or so.
Thanks!

Hmmm...you said 'on'. I've been treating it like my Primary Arms red dot that doesn't have an 'off'. (Holds 'dim' for 5 seconds...) Holy cow - this thing can be turned off! That should certainly reduce the battery swapping! :roflmao:

Bucolic
Verified Member
Verified Member

#15 Post by Bucolic » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:49 pm

Lol. Press the down arrow for four seconds and it will turn off.

AndyH
Verified Member
Verified Member

#16 Post by AndyH » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:18 am

Back to the range today for more red dot practice. I'm really liking this thing! Erasing the center of the target from 15 yards with el-cheapo ammo is really satisfying!

Buccolic - no battery change this time, either. :lol:
Attachments
bullicide.jpg

Bucolic
Verified Member
Verified Member

#17 Post by Bucolic » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:16 am

Nice! Well erased.

featureless
Verified Member
Verified Member

#18 Post by featureless » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:58 am

How has it been learning to acquire the dot? I've read mixed reviews. I have a Delta Point Pro I've been considering mounting on one on the M&PS but am worrying about the height.... What's it shoot like with the dot off and no cowitness?
Last edited by featureless on Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

#19 Post by CDFingers » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:06 am

Oh, yeah, I like that center cut out. Older eyes always seek better views. I know.

CDFingers
ImageImage
Ship of fools on a cruel sea
Ship of fools sail away from me

AndyH
Verified Member
Verified Member

#20 Post by AndyH » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:24 pm

featureless wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:58 am
How has it been learning to acquire the dot? I've read mixed reviews. I have a Delta Point Pro I've been considering mounting on one on the M&PS but am worrying about the height.... What's it shoot like with the dot off and no cowitness?
I initially got the Vortex for an AR and mounted it with a lower 1/3 cowitness. It was comfortable shooting with the dot and/or the irons. On the G17, I bought a cheap dovetail mount from Amazon so I can try the dot - there's no cowitness there. I'd also heard that it might be challenging to find the dot, but I'm finding that when I push the gun out to shoot the dot is where it belongs, no problem. I do plan to send the slide away to have it milled, though I don't currently plan to have suppressor-height sights fitted. With the dot off and no cowitness, it's basically point shooting. While combat effective at 7 and 15 yards, it's not a bullseye league contender in that configuration. ;)

It was another fun range day. I haven't loaded 9mm for a bit, so the son and I visited Academy on the way for some white box, then spent some quality time with the -17 and M9. Some of the scattered holes are from some 'playing' (I'm still getting used to the DA pull on the Beretta when my son lets me shoot it), and from some rapid-fire 'threat' drills, so that target wasn't just subjected to slow, focused fire. This was the first time he erased the bull at 7 yards - he's come a long way this year. You're right, CD - shooing stuff is fun!
Last edited by AndyH on Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

featureless
Verified Member
Verified Member

#21 Post by featureless » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:31 pm

AndyH wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:24 pm
featureless wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:58 am
I initially got the Vortex for an AR and mounted it with a lower 1/3 cowitness. It was comfortable shooting with the dot and/or the irons. On the G17, I bought a cheap dovetail mount from Amazon so I can try the dot - there's no cowitness there. I'd also heard that it might be challenging to find the dot, but I'm finding that when I push the gun out to shoot the dot is where it belongs, no problem. I do plan to send the slide away to have it milled, though I don't currently plan to have suppressor-height sights fitted. With the dot off and no cowitness, it's basically point shooting. While combat effective at 7 and 15 yards, it's not a bullseye league contender with the dot off. ;)
Thanks! Precisely what I was wondering on the suppressor sights that look like snag city! I'm used to red dots on carbines, just not on a handgun. I understand ATEi is the place for milling.

AndyH
Verified Member
Verified Member

#22 Post by AndyH » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:32 pm

featureless wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:31 pm
Thanks! Precisely what I was wondering on the suppressor sights that look like snag city! I'm used to red dots on carbines, just not on a handgun. I understand ATEi is the place for milling.
Yeah, this is primarily a range and hunting gun so Vortex-only is fine. I'm leaning towards BattleWerx for the cut at the moment (without the front dovetail) as it's shallow enough to not get into the 'plumbing' in the slide. Pocket carry with suppressor sights...hmmm...we should coin a term of art. Laurel and Hardy? Keystone cops? Oooohhh...the three stooges draw? (Hey Moe - hey Moe - it's still stuck!) :lol:
battlewerx.jpg
Source: http://www.battlewerx.com/vortex-venom-cut-for-glock/