Public Range Experience

The Olympics started this week, and it turns out the "7-yard mag dump into a backstop with or without a target" event was being held at my local unregulated DNR range this afternoon.

When I saw these three kids wasting ammo, I just picked a spot on the other end. We were far enough away from each other but maybe not...so I was thinking about leaving.

Anyway, as I'm setting up (and thinking about leaving) one of the kids walks over, discusses range etiquette with me, confirms who's shooting where, and returns to his group.

Knock me over with a feather. As I watched them, they were actually being pretty careful. But damn they went through the ammo.

So good for them, they had a good time. And I'm the judgmental old fart with the single action revolver who got a pleasant surprise today. Life is good.

Re: Public Range Experience

cooper wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:39 am Yeah, it was good to see. I mean, I can be a judgmental asshole at times, but in my own defense I pretty much expect bad behavior at this public range. Based on experience. So, nice to be proven wrong yesterday.
I can be judgmental too, we make assumptions based on our experiences. There is a lot of mostly federal lands near where I live and shooting is allowed. Some places I won't go because they attract yahoos especially on the weekends and holidays. And they don't pick up their litter or brass.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: Public Range Experience

Nice.

I've longstanding issues with unsupervised ranges. Not personal experience, but close enough.

I've shot enough Bullseye to recognize that the time between shots has no positive correlation with my accuracy. My worst rounds are invariably slow fire. I won't judge anyone for shooting fast. It isn't wasting ammo if you're hitting what you're shooting at. Still, I'm always happier shooting on my own.