Lonestar Gun Club & Redneck Resort (really)

I had a fun and productive half day of outdoor shooting at "Lonestar Gun Club & Redneck Resort". My shooting buddy B, who I became acquainted with at my usual indoor range invited me to Lonestar as his guest. We arrived at 8:00 am, checked in, and set up in one of their tactical bays. We were able to back our vehicles right up to the open end of the bay which made set up very convenient. Earth berms on 3 sides, compacted dirt under our feet. A couple plastic picnic tables for staging, plus a few rebar target hangers and PVC stands to attach backers. We warmed up with some pistol drills at 30 feet, then practiced drawing from holster and firing. My accuracy is pretty good, but my speed with multiple shots is nowhere near B's. I was able to try walking up to a target while firing for the first time. Fun to be able to move while shooting after so many years of static indoor range practice. B's shooting coach was able to join us. He gave good instruction on walking while firing, plus how to shoot from a barricade. I shot my HK USP9 exclusively for the pistol part of our session. The temperature kept creeping up as we shot. By noon it was over 100. I kept a water bottle hooked to my belt and was able to stay hydrated. I'm so glad I thought to wear a wide brim hat that fits over my ear pro. The other 2 guys were getting fried by the brutal sun. We called it quits by noon and went down the road to a cafe that served up awesome chicken fried steak.

The range bills itself as a "redneck resort" as well as shooting range. They host country music concerts, and they have an above ground pool that overlooks the shooting bays. Their facilities are definitely a work in progress though. Their "shoot house" for Airsoft just opened this week from what I was told. My check in as a guest this morning was basically me handing over 20 bucks to a bearded bubba behind the counter. No forms to fill out, no ID required.

It's not that expensive to join Lonestar. I may give it a try in the fall when it's cooler to shoot outdoors. Only 40 minute drive on weekday mornings. Such a liberating experience to be able to move while shooting.

http://www.lonestargunclub.com/

Re: Lonestar Gun Club & Redneck Resort (really)

highdesert wrote:Sounds like a fun day, I like ranges with different bays. So it was 100 degrees with a humidity level of ????
Maybe around 50 - 60%? The range is in a low lying area close to a river, but it felt like a dry heat to me. And we had a nice 10 mph breeze that made it over the berms once in a while. I'm usually good to go in triple digits as long as it's not too humid and I stay hydrated by drinking sips of water every few minutes. The wide brim hat was a huge help. My shooting buddy is a fair skinned heavy set white guy. He was really suffering by noon and was pretty wasted. I laughed and told him I could easily go a few more hours.

Re: Lonestar Gun Club & Redneck Resort (really)

Simmer down wrote:I think that used to be called Gibson Range. I've never been but heard stories of the unstable owners. Sounds much better now.

EDIT:
https://www.google.com/search?q=gibson+ ... e&ie=UTF-8
Not the same place but nearby.

I was out there in the 90's, at the time it seemed like an OK Gun Range, ammo was high priced but then it's convenience.
Nothing like breakfast at The Waffle House then off to a morning of shooting, you can practically shoot outside year round in the DFW area.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.