Brand New Smith & Wesson 586

So my local Gun Store/Range had a Smith and Wesson day. They brought in the corporate sales staff and had several new models out for display. Overall about 20 guns between revolvers, semi-autos, and rifles. You could even fire any one of them for $5 for five shots. They were also having a 10% off promotion. I really shouldn't allow my self to go to these events. This is why I don't go to gun shows. Long story short, I am now the proud owner of a brand new S&W model 586 with a six inch barrel. I only had three revolvers up to this point, a Ruger New Vaquero in 45LC, a Ruger Security Six in .357, and a Heritage Mfg .22 combo. My reasoning was that I do not own a S&W yet and that the revolver shelf was a little empty. You can stand behind that logic, right? :whistle:

With every purchase you get a free hour at the range, I don't know why I happened to have my Range bag with me in the Jeep or even why I just so happen to have 50 rounds of .38 spl and .357 mag ammo with me. Just my luck!

I hit the range all giddy like. Hung my target and sent it out to a respectful 7 yards and started shooting. Let me tell you, this thing is a dream. I like to start single action. The trigger was so smooth, almost liberating. Because of the size of this beast, sending .38 down range was like shooting .22 but with more noise. after a couple of rounds of .38 I switched to .357. The first rounds always are a little shocking. But, I have to say, tolerable. The grip on this frame size is large and fits snugly into me bear paws. the only thing I could not figure out was while shooting the .357's it felt like I was being hit across the face with little bits of something.

Anyways, here are some photos of the trip.
1. Here it is in it's loving blued gorgeousness...
S_W 586.jpg
2. My First Six shoots with .38 spl at 7 yards. I numbered the shots. I walked that puppy home!
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.
Attachments
1st six at 7yds.jpg
1st six at 7yds.jpg (19.34 KiB) Viewed 3354 times

Re: Brand New Smith & Wesson 586

Sorry hit the wrong Button...

3. This is my second round of .38 at 7 yards...
2nd six at 7yds.jpg
2nd six at 7yds.jpg (10.22 KiB) Viewed 3351 times

4. He is the outcome switching to .357...
1st 357 at 7yds.jpg
1st 357 at 7yds.jpg (20.23 KiB) Viewed 3351 times

5. Tried my hand out to 10 yards with both ammo's...

6. Final picture is both types out to 15 yards.
That 6 inch barrel is like cheating...
Six each at 15yds.jpg
Six each at 15yds.jpg (11.65 KiB) Viewed 3351 times
So, that it it for now. Thanks for letting me share.
Last edited by FlyGuy on Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dang, Fly, that's some really good shooting. I think you'd clean up in the Bullseye matches with that revolver. Even at single action at 15 yards, I find that impressive.

I hear you about gun shows. Today I read a review about an S&W Model 69 that I don't need. I have to stay away from one. :ugeek:

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

FlyGuy wrote: the only thing I could not figure out was while shooting the .357's it felt like I was being hit across the face with little bits of something.
That's called "spitting lead". When you feel like you can do without the gun for a week or two, send it back to S&W with the simple comment "Spits Lead", and they will fix it. The gun will shoot even more accurately after they are done. Mention to them whether you are shooting jacketed or lead bullets. The guns ship set up for shooting jacketed, and SOMETIMES if you tell them that you are shooting lead they will do something special for you. The gun should be dead nuts accurate at 200m, as drigeba discovered with his.

I like the fact you knew damn good and well you were going to buy a gun--and came prepared. Beautiful revolver.
I dearly love the state of Texas, but I consider that a harmless perversion on my part, and discuss it only with consenting adults. --Molly Ivins

if they give you lined paper, write sideways.--Juan Ramon Jimenez

pokute wrote:
FlyGuy wrote: the only thing I could not figure out was while shooting the .357's it felt like I was being hit across the face with little bits of something.
That's called "spitting lead". When you feel like you can do without the gun for a week or two, send it back to S&W with the simple comment "Spits Lead", and they will fix it. The gun will shoot even more accurately after they are done. Mention to them whether you are shooting jacketed or lead bullets. The guns ship set up for shooting jacketed, and SOMETIMES if you tell them that you are shooting lead they will do something special for you. The gun should be dead nuts accurate at 200m, as drigeba discovered with his.
I took your advice and sent it back to the factory. Two and a half weeks later I got the call that it was ready for pick up. The invoice said that they replaced the cylinder and Resurfaced the Frame (The bluing had a noticeable flaw). I took it to the adjoining range for some test firing. The gun performed flawlessly. No more getting hit in the face with debris. I only shot 30 rounds, but here are the results. The distances are in the title of each picture. I am a little embarrassed of the two flyers at 15 yards, but it doesn't get any sweeter than making the "10" disappear at 20 Yards. (Edit)It appears I added them in reverse order of my shooting. I went from close to far. Also, I can only add three pictures at a time, so the 25 yard picture is in the next post.
Attachments
20 Yards.jpg
15 Yards.jpg
7 Yards.jpg

Congrats on a great gun. With reasonable care your grandchildren's grandchildren will be shooting this gun!

So you have punched holes in paper. Now you are ready for some real fun, if you have access to some land you can shoot on. Take gallon milk jugs filled with water, a couple of watermelon, and a few 2 liters of elcheapo soda pop, and shoot them with 357 hollowpoints. Then you will really appreciate what this gun can do!!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle