Bersa Modelo 83 - Range Report

Last day off before returning to work after 3 weeks and I finally got the opportunity to go the range with the Bersa.

Initial impressions:

Ergonomic grip. It fits perfectly in my large-XL hands. We're talking full grip, even got pinky purchase on the mag extension. That said, the mag release location is a bit wonky and would be a challenge for small hands. The decocker/safety also has similar issues. Nothing that couldn't be learned, but should be mentioned.

Solid. At nearly 26oz of Argentine steel and walnut, it definitely feels sturdy. The weight sits firmly in your hand and mitigates all recoil. I could shoot this all day.
Bersa Profile.jpg
Ammo:

Works flawlessly with brass ammo. I was using Aguila 95gr. FMJ for most of the trials and had not one FTF or hiccup for that matter.
Temperamental with steel ammo. I was using Monarch 95gr FMJ and had some FTEs and soft primer strikes. I will say that any soft primer strike could be mitigated with a full-length hammer drop "second strike". Hammer guns FTW here.

Assorted other musings:
There's a manual slide hold-open, but does not hold open on the last round...if that makes sense. Slide goes forward upon pressing the mag release. Note: Will not fire with mag out

Accurate, almost ridiculously so for a 380ACP. The adjustable rear sight needed some left-right dialing in, but when I got it zeroed...it was on. I was getting great results at 10 yards.
Bersa Sights.jpg
After Adjust.jpg
Heavy but nice DA trigger. Take-up was long, but manageable. Think Beretta 92. That said, it has an awesome SA trigger and incredibly short reset with the hammer down.

It did get a bit fussy after 100 or so rounds, but I'll chalk that up to the dirty steel ammo I was using not the gun itself.

All said and done, it's probably the best $200 I ever spent on a used LGS find. I would love to get more factory mags. If anyone has a line on them, let me know.
Last edited by atxgunguy on Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
LGC Texas - Vice President

Re: Bersa Modelo 83 - Range Report

MaxWyatt wrote:There's a Bersa 83 at a LGS. I may pick it up today, if it's still there. Have you been able to compare your 83 to the new Thunder 380?
Do it. It's quite nice.

I've shot the new Thunder 380 and the Bersa 83 is like a sturdier, older version. Much better in recoil mitigation. The slide release on mag release takes some getting used to. I would only shoot brass cased ammo as it does tend to jam/FTE with steel cased.
LGC Texas - Vice President

Re: Bersa Modelo 83 - Range Report

atxgunguy wrote:
MaxWyatt wrote:There's a Bersa 83 at a LGS. I may pick it up today, if it's still there. Have you been able to compare your 83 to the new Thunder 380?
Do it. It's quite nice.

I've shot the new Thunder 380 and the Bersa 83 is like a sturdier, older version. Much better in recoil mitigation. The slide release on mag release takes some getting used to. I would only shoot brass cased ammo as it does tend to jam/FTE with steel cased.
I've handled both, but not at the same time/place and I also got the impression that the 83 was a sturdier build. It felt pretty good in the hand. Thanks for confirming that.