Hooky day in the coast range

It was too sunny to go to work yesterday. I have my ducks in a row so I decided to play hooky and ride up in the hills for a bit. I found a nice spot with southern exposure and set up the 'range'. You can see the 12x9 box that I tape the targets to if you look behind the upper right side of the cargo box on the bike. I won't share any pics of the targets, because.... um.... that's privileged info. :oops: It felt good to get out into the sunshine, we'll have precious little of it around here soon enough.

I had intended to shoot the postal match, but after several rounds of practice, I realized that I really just needed more practice. So that's what I did.

I only brought 82 rounds for the CZ75. I was kicking myself for that not long after I started, but I can say that it definitely feels and shoots better than the Ruger 9E. I did improve a bit, but I think I need at least a few more range sessions with it.

The H&R 999 got a serious workout. I shot a couple half way decent sets early on, but nothing I considered 'good' even by my lowly standards. So I just kept at it. When my right hand got too tired, I started shooting left handed, then single handed left and switched back to right, etc. I kept going until I'd shot somewhere north of 350 rounds. About 80 rounds were Winchester copper tops and the rest were the Federal match ammo from the 325 round box. The Winchester had a little more 'zing' to them, but I couldn't tell a difference in accuracy. Even though my hands were tired, switching back and forth between hands and shooting single vs double handed seems to have taught me something. My shooting worsened toward the middle of the session, but then in spite of the fatigue, it started improving toward the end. No matter what, I still had trouble keeping ten shots inside a 6" diameter at 15 yards. Then I shot sitting down using my knee as a rest and even then 5" patterns were difficult. I'm not sure what to make of that.

Anyway, I should still have time to shoot the current Postal Match. Hopefully this foolish field trip will help improve my scores.
Attachments
DR650.jpg

Re: Hooky day in the coast range

MaxWyatt wrote:It was too sunny to go to work yesterday. I have my ducks in a row so I decided to play hooky and ride up in the hills for a bit. I found a nice spot with southern exposure and set up the 'range'. You can see the 12x9 box that I tape the targets to if you look behind the upper right side of the cargo box on the bike. I won't share any pics of the targets, because.... um.... that's privileged info. :oops: It felt good to get out into the sunshine, we'll have precious little of it around here soon enough.

I had intended to shoot the postal match, but after several rounds of practice, I realized that I really just needed more practice. So that's what I did.

I only brought 82 rounds for the CZ75. I was kicking myself for that not long after I started, but I can say that it definitely feels and shoots better than the Ruger 9E. I did improve a bit, but I think I need at least a few more range sessions with it.

The H&R 999 got a serious workout. I shot a couple half way decent sets early on, but nothing I considered 'good' even by my lowly standards. So I just kept at it. When my right hand got too tired, I started shooting left handed, then single handed left and switched back to right, etc. I kept going until I'd shot somewhere north of 350 rounds. About 80 rounds were Winchester copper tops and the rest were the Federal match ammo from the 325 round box. The Winchester had a little more 'zing' to them, but I couldn't tell a difference in accuracy. Even though my hands were tired, switching back and forth between hands and shooting single vs double handed seems to have taught me something. My shooting worsened toward the middle of the session, but then in spite of the fatigue, it started improving toward the end. No matter what, I still had trouble keeping ten shots inside a 6" diameter at 15 yards. Then I shot sitting down using my knee as a rest and even then 5" patterns were difficult. I'm not sure what to make of that.

Anyway, I should still have time to shoot the current Postal Match. Hopefully this foolish field trip will help improve my scores.
I like your range!

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Nice report! It's turned out to be a beautiful Fall here, balmy and mild, an early rain-scare notwithstanding.

Looks like you had your rage all to yourself, Max. Sweet! :) You have found a fine place to shoot and good on you for getting out to practice. I haven't touched my MK III since last Bullseye. I plan on taking it to Texax this weekend and maybe I'll get a chance to practice some with it there. It is in dire need of cleaning, though. God help me.
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Must be the phase of the moon, did the same thing today myself. Finished working up loads for the 6.5 Grendel and got to take out a 30-30 lever action. Fun day, and although larger groups with the lever, smaller than expected groups so it was more satisfying.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou