What, no Teddy Bear?

Remember the circus game where you had to shoot out the red star with a pellet air rifle to win the prize? Well, after a few hundred rounds of 22lr at 50’ today I thought I’d go home with a prize, yet the staff looked at me funny when I asked for a purple unicorn stuffie.

The second part of my range time was with my 9mm Sig p229. My fancy schmancy range has an electronic target system (https://meggitttrainingsystems.com/). One of my fav features is a “program” mode that offers several preprogrammed “courses” that will turn the target perpendicular to the shooter, send it out to a preset distance, display it for X seconds, return to perpendicular, move to X distance, display for X seconds, repeat.

Today I did the course where it stayed at 25ft and displayed for 3 seconds for 5 repetitions. The way I shot it was to start each rotation from a retracted ready and fired strings of 3 for each: 2 COM and 1 head shot. Between each string I decocked so that each string was DA, SA, SA.

Considering I had just shot 350 rounds of 22lr before this, these 120 shots were pretty good, IMVHO. There are a few flyers, which I’d like to blame on the dude firing the cannon in the lane next to me, but ultimately they’re on me. Lol. At the very least I had fun!

Re: What, no Teddy Bear?

HuckleberryFun wrote:I don’t know why the range staff would look at you funny. It’s not like purple unicorns are rare in Portland.
Good shooting. You deserve a unicorn.
You used to have herds of purple unicorns, are they still there?
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Maccabee wrote:Remember the circus game where you had to shoot out the red star with a pellet air rifle to win the prize? Well, after a few hundred rounds of 22lr at 50’ today I thought I’d go home with a prize, yet the staff looked at me funny when I asked for a purple unicorn stuffie.

Shit! What did you do that 7 way speaker?????? It's not gonna play music anymore! :wavecry:
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

highdesert wrote:
HuckleberryFun wrote:I don’t know why the range staff would look at you funny. It’s not like purple unicorns are rare in Portland.
Like many others, they can’t afford to live here anymore. Last I heard, most moved to Detroit for the affordable housing.

Maccabee wrote:
highdesert wrote:
Like many others, they can’t afford to live here anymore. Last I heard, most moved to Detroit for the affordable housing.
They're not going to like the weather in Detroit. ;)
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Shooting at Maccabee's range with Maccabee's P229:

https://youtu.be/_kcij3VAqMM

Watch in HD and you can see the shot placement... Was a wee bit distracted by the lane next to us.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

What, no Teddy Bear?

HuckleberryFun wrote:
Bisbee wrote:Shooting at Maccabee's range with Maccabee's P229:

https://youtu.be/_kcij3VAqMM

Watch in HD and you can see the shot placement... Was a wee bit distracted by the lane next to us.
Nothing like full auto in the lane next to you to distract.
Looks like you were having fun. What range is that? It makes mine look shabby-sad in comparison.
The range is SafeFire in Camas. Love that place, great facility and staff, woman owner, fair prices, etc.

That day Bisbee came, the guys from Brimstone Gunsmithing were showing off a full auto Sten gun. Good times!

Maccabee wrote:
highdesert wrote:A STEN (Shepherd, Turpin and Enfield), how unique. Did they say what model? Cheap but very effective especially by underground groups in Europe.
I didn’t know enough to ask which model, and if they mentioned it I didn’t retain it. I can ask the next time I’m there.

EDIT: found their FB page. This post says it’s an MKII

https://www.facebook.com/BrimstoneGunsm ... 268163338/
Interesting, the Mark II was the most produced version.
But further simplification was possible, and a Sten gun Mark 2 version, probably the most common of all the Marks, soon entered service. This dispensed with the barrel jacket, retaining the barrel by a large perforated sleeve which doubled as a forward hand grip; the magazine housing was modified so that it could be swung down through 90 degrees to close the feed and ejection openings against dirt; and the safety slot was repositioned at the top rear of the cocking handle slot, since turning the handle up to lock was an easier movement than turning it down. Over two million of this pattern were made, and at one stage they were being turned out at a rate of over 20,000 a week from one factory alone, and the price of manufacture was down to £2.87 per gun. The Mark 2 was first used in action during the Dieppe raid of August 1942, and though the raid was a fiasco there were no complaints about the part the Sten gun played in it.
https://ww2-weapons.com/sten-gun/
Don't know if the cost in sterling was 1942 value or current rate, if 1942 it was probably under $15. (current rate) to produce.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

offensivename wrote:I really need to go up and check out safefire, its just hard to justify when The Place To Shoot is only 10 minutes from my house, if I'm driving up to Camas its usually to go shoot some old milsurp at 100 yards at English Pit.

Safefire does have a IWI X95 I want to play with though . . .
I’m about equidistant from both SF and TPTS. The $5/50rd ammo tax at TPTS was a deal breaker for me. I usually shoot a minimum of 300 rds per range trip and try to go 3-4 times per month. Even with a membership, that’s at least $40 per visit. No thanks. I pay $49/month for unlimited access at SF with no ammo fee nonsense. Even if I lived closer to TPTS I would pass it by on my way to SafeFire.

A couple of months ago I was shooting on the 7 yard lanes, which I don't often use, and after finishing the small amount of point shooting practice I wanted to do, I realized that I could burn some of my copious supply of .22LR by trying to shoot the four staples off my target with my K22. I hoped the target would then fall off the cardboard backer. It took way more shots than I hoped (the last one took about 15 rounds before I hit it) and then it didn't fall off because all the holes had bits of paper tailing through into the cardboard. Had there been any wind, it might have worked. It also turned out that the lower-right staple was hit but close enough to the end that it was bent badly but not ripped out of the cardboard completely.

Lest I be thought to have been trying (and failing, on several levels) to show off, the range was almost empty since I had taken a Thursday afternoon off to enjoy a rare sunny day, so no one was close enough to notice.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.