Small Oregon Range Day

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, Paco, ForumModerator, Marksman Mods

Bacchus
Verified Member
Verified Member

Small Oregon Range Day

Post by Bacchus »

Range day with some Oregon LGC friends! Featured were some things new to me: a 1911 built in 1918 and worked into a target pistol by Bob Chow, a sweet Walther fitted with compensator and red dot, and a Hudson H9. Also showing were a Ruger SR9, a Winchester 73, and a Schofield revolver. (replica) Oh, and my Glock 30.

Never heard of a Hudson? Neither had I, but that thing is SWEET. Interesting recoil spring location and geometry result in very low muzzle rise; add a 1911-like trigger and it feels like it wants to be fired fast. Steel frame, striker-fired, and Blade Runner looks. Loved it. :) It was such an easy shooter I found my trigger finger getting ahead of my sight picture and missed some targets as I tried to speed things up.

The 1911 massaged into a target pistol was also amazing. Custom-formed grips felt even in my hand like it was an extension of my own arm. Light and crips trigger and good target sights... really, it felt like it was hard NOT to hit what you were aiming at. Y'all make me think I need to up my pistol corral with something more interesting than black plastic. :whistle:

It was move and shoot day in the action bay. If you have never done this style of shooting, give it a try- it's a lot of fun. Steel was set up, and the course of fire was: Fire at silhouettes from enclosure, exit and run to the next station and fire on smaller steel targets. What a hoot. Sure is different than firing from a static position: harder to control breathing and the pulse rate gets going.

Fun times! Thanks to all who attended for sharing their ammo and their firearms. :)
IMG_4579.jpg
IMG_4556.jpg
IMG_4569.jpg
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

ImageImage

Bacchus
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Small Oregon Range Day

Post by Bacchus »

More photos from the Oregon range day. Check out the 1911 goodness...

There was also some video action, but it doesn't seem to want to post here :(
IMG_4563.jpg
IMG_4587.jpg

ImageImage

HuckleberryFun
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by HuckleberryFun »

That was some fun! The “safety trigger” on the Hudson was new to me, but *loved* how it fits in the hand like a 1911.
The ‘73 Winchester with peep sight was so sweet handling I decided I want one (probably in .45LC rather than .38 though).
I could hardly hit the small targets with the Schofield, but practice with it would remedy that, I guess.
I’m looking into cowboy action shooting now because of you guys. Dang yer infernal hides!
ImageImage
I’m not your Sherpa, so find your own way and carry your own baggage.

FlyGuy
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by FlyGuy »

Good Times!
Moving and shooting is a different beast altogether. Fun and exhilarating.
My first thought after looking at the pictures was "Looks a little wet", then "Oh yeah, Oregon!"
Thanks for for sharing the story and pictures.
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by CDFingers »

Looks fun, though wet--it is Oregon, after all. And everyone wants a crips trigger, I tell you what.

CDFingers
ImageImage
Turn on channel six, the President comes on the news,
Says, "I get no satisfaction, that's why I sing the blues."

Bacchus
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Bacchus »

What is this 'wet' y'all keep talking about? That was Oregon dry. ;)

ImageImage

Bisbee
Carpal Tunnel

Post by Bisbee »

Run & Gun w Bacchus!
https://youtu.be/L1_ICBPpDPg

Boy, you don't want to drop an empty mag on the ground in Oregon... :laugh: In the desert, you just have to blow off the dust afterward. :love:
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

HuckleberryFun
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by HuckleberryFun »

Bisbee wrote:Run & Gun w Bacchus!

Boy, you don't want to drop an empty mag on the ground in Oregon... :laugh: In the desert, you just have to blow off the dust afterward. :love:
...and watch for rattlesnakes...and scorpions...and don’t grab a cactus... :wtf:
ImageImage

Bucolic
Verified Member
Verified Member

Small Oregon Range Day

Post by Bucolic »

Bah! I hiked in the desert in SoAZ for 21 years. Never got stung by a scorpion nor bitten by a rattlesnake. Had several interesting encounters with javelinas, black bears, and a Gila monster, and did pick out a number of cholla spines. Killed me a messa Black Widows in the backyard though...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HuckleberryFun
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by HuckleberryFun »

Bucolic wrote:Bah! I hiked in the desert in SoAZ for 21 years. Never got stung by a scorpion nor bitten by a rattlesnake. Had several interesting encounters with javelinas, black bears, and a Gila monster, and did pick out a number of cholla spines. Killed me a messa Black Widows in the backyard though...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I lived in Tucson for three years. Seems like everything wanted to actively bite, sting, or stab you. I shot rattler. Memories.
Oregon is more mellow. We prefer passive aggressive, anything more takes too much effort.
ImageImage

Eris

Post by Eris »

Bisbee wrote:Run & Gun w Bacchus!

Or you just use a Ruger. :D

88+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Bacchus
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Bacchus »

Indeed! The gun was a Glock 30 - .45 ACP - and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have minded some mud and grit in the magazine, either. They're generally not terribly finicky. In fairness, it was pointed out to me that time would have been saved popping in a new magazine en-route to the next station and that would have made sense- the mags only hold 10 rounds, chunky subcompact that it is. Part laziness and part newness from me, but I'd think about that next time. I didn't have mag holders either- they were just stuffed in my back pocket. As you can tell from the video, I'm not exactly smooth and experienced on the run 'n gun circuit. ;)

Thanks to Bisbee for posting the video for me! I hope you can make it to more of our range days when you are in the area. :)

ETA: That Ruger American looks interesting. Pity they are so late to the plastic pistol party- it's already so crowded with established and excellent options.

ImageImage