The "F%ck My Bad Back" Range Report

It's been months since I went shooting. I was going to go Monday, then I pulled a muscle in my back.

Well screw that noise, I went shooting today anyway.

Just about a 40 minute range trip during lunch. Finally got the SP101 and the Black Widow out.

I swapped a 10 lb hammer spring and put Hogue grips on the SP101 before the range trip. Trigger isn't as nice as say a K Frame, but it's certainly better than most of the J Frames I've shot.

I shot a box of Federal 158g LRN 38s and it was very enjoyable. A crazy amount of smoke though...I suppose that comes from not cleaning out the factory oil. Oh well.

Then I shot some 357 FMJ. Sig Sauer brand. Very soft shooting mags btw. SP101 loved them. I was able to get about a 3" group at 10 yards.

Then I shot my old stanby, the 627. Love that gun. Bad back and all, I was still able to get 3" groups at 15 yards shooting DA.

Then I shot the Black Widow. Very soft shooting after firing the 357s. Pretty accurate at 10'. It loves the CCI Green, which is good because it's one of the only 22 mag rounds that will almost fully expand out of a 2 inch barrel.. Not as loud or snappy as I was expecting. The little Black Widow sticker fell out aftee about 25 rounds. I have some CV grips I forgot to put on for this trip, so no biggie.

It is a royal PITA to reload though compared to my old NAA revolver. You need like three hands and a pair of vice grips to get the thing loaded and unloaded without sweeping yourself and everyone else at the range. I'm going to fuss with it at home to see if I can get the action to smooth-out.

All-in-all, a nice range trip!

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."
Attachments
Stainless family.jpg

Re: The "F%ck My Bad Back" Range Report

Weird. My back went out today, too. I was at the gym, going pretty well, then I got home and the sciatica started up. Been many, many months, maybe 2 years since the last flare-up.
Got 2 ruptured disks, and one bulging one, so it happens from time to time.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

senorgrand wrote:BTW, getting old sucks.
It's definitely not for quitters.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

dougb wrote:
senorgrand wrote:BTW, getting old sucks.
It's definitely not for quitters.
Or for weaklings! I had done 3 sets of 30 pushups and 3 sets of 10 chin-ups and was feeling pretty good till I got home.

Tons of Advil and Aleve isn't touching it. But instead of muscle relaxants, I have a prescription-grade TENS machine as powerful as the big ones physical therapists use, though it's the size of a smart phone. It's really helping numb it.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I've wanted an SP-101..sounds like ya had fun.

I strained my back Thursday after car got stuck in driveway dip to the street.
I slung 6-8 inch chunks of packed snow from around/under the cars nose, next day...WOW...I'm not 25 anymore.
With some help through chemistry, I'm a little better now.

Been eyeing up a n SP-101 w/3 inch barrel at the local Cabelas lately.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.

Try the 4". It is just a little barrel heavy, but in a way that actually seems to help pointing. Sights are nice and there is little barrel flip. I will say the stock grips are a no go if you have anything bigger than a "medium" glove size. But for 20 bucks, Hogue has a nice monogrip. Also, buy a reduced-power spring. Rugers have ridiculously heavy stock hammer springs.

$30 in mods make this an awesome little package.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

lurker wrote:my back hurts about half the time. payback for a wonderfully misspent youth. motorcycles, rockclimbing, all that stuff. worth every minute. aspirin dulls the pain. drinking lots of water helps too.
Especially if it's frozen and has something like bourbon, rum or tequila wrapped around it.

Ha ha, that 627 is such an absurdly "American" gun. Too much of everything. Absurd. And probably fun because of its "too muchness".

Sold mine and bought a .45acp 625. Same huge N-frame yet fitting for the caliber. A fun revolver all in all.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi