Atac snap caps and a near disaster

OK. I know what you are thinking. How can you have a disaster using snap caps? Well here's how:

Recently I have been doing more dry fire practice and I got to worrying about damaging my Ruger Mark IV, so after getting some advice here on the forums I ordered a box of .22LR snap caps. Atac Pro .22LR Rimfire Snap Caps

https://www.amazon.com/Atac-Snap-22Cal- ... +snap+caps

They arrived this week and and I tried them out, but was disappointed with them. The first couple worked OK but the rest started jamming and would not feed into the chamber. I wrote them off as unusable.

Fast forward to today when I was at the range for my weekly practice session. I had some new ammo to try out. Normally I use CCI but today I had some Winchester that I bought because it was less expensive. I load up my magazine, rack the slide, and the first bullet jams and won't go in the chamber. I set it aside. The second bullet won't go in either, nor the third or fourth. I unload the magazine and think to myself that my gun just doesn't like the Winchester. So then I try CCI and it jams too!

Now I start thinking clearly, so I take the gun apart (Thank you Mark IV for being easy) and look into the chamber. It's dark. I can't see through the barrel, so clearly something is blocking the bore. If the blockage had been just a little farther up, I might have been able to chamber a live round and then would have had an explosion on my hands when I pulled the trigger!

So I packed up and came on home, got a cleaning rod, and sure enough when I put in down the bore and gave it a good pop with my hand, out comes an Atac snap cap.

Moral of the story: If you ever have a failure to feed, even with snap caps, check the bore for obstructions immediately.

Also, don't use Atac Pro snap caps.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Re: Atac snap caps and a near disaster

Eek!

The dummy rounds I have are from Rimfire Sports. They look like regular .22LR round nose rounds, but have no primer or powder. They're still on the company's 'best seller' list but don't appear to be in stock. I've emailed them to see if they still sell them...I'll report back.
http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.m ... e_Code=RSC
22LR DUMMIES .22 LR Dummy Rounds - Set of 5 2 $4.95 $9.90
ETA...it looks like Armscor made them at one time but they're discontinued. Might have to move to drywall anchors. :(

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tool ... =367022002
AD-SX22LR 22 LR DUMMIES (BOX 50)
367-022-002WB
Rimfire Dummies, .22 Long Rifle, per 50
Mfr Part: ADSX22LR

Discontinued by the Factory
ETA2... I got a reply from Rimfire Sports. The .22 dummies are no longer available.
Last edited by AndyH on Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

senorgrand wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:04 pm Wow. I only use Azoom, except I will sometime use the el cheapo plastic 22lr snap caps in my revolver.
I have some A Zoom's in .22LR but I noticed they are marketed as " dummy rounds" and explicitly say on the package that they are not snap caps. I've dry fired with them a few times, but after 4 or 5 times the rim becomes deformed and they won't cycle properly anymore.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

You could do some arts and crafts if you wanted to. Grab some .22LR, pull the bullet, dump the powder, put some oil in the case to kill the primer, then epoxy the bullet back in. Maybe drill a hole in the head so you can identify them. Armscor drilled holes where a center fire cartridge would have a primer pocket. When the rims get mangled, make a few more.

Or dry fire with your cf gun and just shoot the rf with live ammo. If you were in serious competition training it would be important to train with the same gun dry, but you’re probably not. The skill you gain dry firing one gun will transfer well to the other.

I haven’t done it, but a friend of mine swears that the best dry fire training is a cap gun with the crappiest long weird gritty trigger you can find. If you can work that trigger without disturbing the sights, you can do it with anything.

I have never found a 22 snap cap solution that I thought was good enough. Firing pin damage is easy to repair but a burred chamber sucks forever.

Buck13 wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:56 am Seriously, ya’all, just use the plastic drywall screw anchors! They work and stand up to many strikes. They may even feed from your magazine fairly reliably.
I've used these for .22LR. They work well enough and they are cheap.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.