MK II vs H&R Sportsman and other notes

Got out to the range yesterday for a couple hours. Mostly trying to get practiced up for Match 16. I decided to bring the 'old' H&R 999 along for kicks. At close range (less than 30 ft) I can shoot the 999 pretty well, even one handed. I hit the bullseye first try at 30ft one handed. Sadly, it was a fluke and the rest of the rounds formed a bit of a scatter pattern, still not to bad, even if it was my strong hand. The Mark II was, predictably a bit better at 30 ft, but single handed, it is difficult to shoot and subsequent strings suffered. :sad:

I shot strings two handed and then moved the targets to 50'. I managed to shoot several strings with the Mark II where I kept six or more shots in the black. Can't say the same about the H&R 999. The pics tell the whole story.
Attachments
HR 999 at 50ft.
HR 999 at 50ft.

Re: MK II vs H&R Sportsman and other notes

I forgot to mention the ammo. Both pistols like the Aguila Super Extra and that's what I was shooting with the targets above. I have shot much tighter groups with the H&R at 50ft, but I cannot reliably put 6 or more into the black like I can with the mini hand cannon.

Using the mini hand cannon, I shot an additional 20 rounds of Eley Club and 20 Rounds of CCI standard at 50ft. The Eley groups were a little tighter and the CCI groups were a little looser compared to the Aguila, but it's hardly a conclusive test. I'm pretty sure I'm still the weakest link. Although, a while back Bacchus was kind enough to share some Eley Match with me and it seemed like it really was consistently better. Clearly more research is required on this subject. :bananadance:

MaxWyatt wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:10 pm <snip>

I hit the bullseye first try at 30ft one handed. Sadly, it was a fluke and the rest of the rounds formed a bit of a scatter pattern

<more snip>

I'm glad I'm not the only one afflicted by The Curse Of The First Shot...

Couple of weeks ago, 25 yards, offhand with a Winchester 1885. First shot. Yippee!

Adding another 9 to the string...... :(

Apparently I was shooting upside down as well. :)
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

lurker wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:16 pm
Eris wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:58 pm I've taken to slowing way down when shooting. Sometimes I even put the gun down entirely between shots. This way every shot becomes my "first" shot - I'm forcing myself to start over and do my shot process completely from scratch each time.
is it helping?
Well, it makes me more aware of what I do wrong, at least, since I'm paying more attention to it.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

MaxWyatt wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:05 pm
CDFingers wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:52 pm Love that long sight radius!

CDFingers
Me too, but it shows every little wiggle and twitch I make. ;)
The front of that barrel does start to get wavy, doesn't it? Maybe you should take a break from it. I'll be happy to look after it if you like, you know, until after Bullseye 16. (which I haven't shot yet) ;)
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

MaxWyatt wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:59 pm For Science!

Also, I made a mistake. The Eley that Bacchus shared was the 'Standard', not the 'Match'. Good stuff though. I find myself considering the 5000rnd package via CMP. I may just drop by Cabela's and grab some off the shelf Eley first. You know, for science.
Right: It was the special bulk deal stuff that Eley is doing for CMP. Yeah, it's a lot of boolits, and they are bulk packaged in a plastic bag (500/per). 40 gr LN, 1040 fps, as I recall. Nothing fancy, but they shot demonstrably better than other stuff we were using that day. For the added performance, their price per boolit makes them a steal compared to 'match' grade, I think.

Something to note now that I've gone through 1 1/2 boxes: They do seem grubbier than other 22lr I've used, which means more cleaning for my MK III, which means more cussing.

I still want to try that fancy-pants Tenex stuff from Eley, just to see if it gives me the tingles. ;)
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six