Ghost Gunnin' the AF Qual

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, Paco, ForumModerator, Marksman Mods

AndyH
Banned

Ghost Gunnin' the AF Qual

Post by AndyH »

On the eve of my son's 16th, he wanted to shoot the AF rifle qualification course of fire. That immediately put me into search mode for the applicable AF Instruction, and for a couple of less-than-30-round mags ('cause even in the AF, unsupported means unsupported :lol:). I also needed to come up with some reduced-size targets, because the Lackland AFB trainee range is 25 yards. He wanted an apples to apples experience to see if he could out shoot the younger me.

So...into the car went the shooting mat, a sand bag, the AR (carved from an 80% lower and driven by a heavy military trigger), a box of Federal 5.56 55 grain ammo in 10 round clips, some targets, and plenty of water. After a week or so of triple digit weather, the 98 degree afternoon felt pretty comfortable, at least in the shade.

I did my best to play the part of the military training instructor while following my notes for the course of fire. After setting up the range, he loaded a mag with four rounds and waited for the command to fire. (Is the line ready? The line is ready. If you have a malfunction, raise your hand and wait for assistance. Load four rounds and fire when ready!) ((Apparently basic leaves some tracks in long term memory. That's not what I was thinking in 1983 when I was shakily pulling 5.56 rounds from stripper clips for the first time. I guess it's not about thinking. :lol: ))

Zeroing was fire four, adjust, fire three, adjust, fire three, adjust if necessary, and fire three. The course of fire is 10 rounds prone supported (three magazines loaded 4, 3, and 3), 10 rounds prone unsupported, 10 rounds kneeling supported, and 10 rounds over a barricade. We got an opportunity to improvise the barricade, and got to use the LGC-tagged first aid kit on his bicycle-induced road rash.

He did well and I'm pretty sure he did out shoot the younger me. Maybe it was because he wasn't using a shot-out Vietnam era M16 with a .22LR conversion kit. Maybe it was because he had a better teacher. It's probably because he's just a good shot. Regardless, the outing gave me another set of memories that I'll treasure. I can't believe he's 16.
Attachments
barricade.jpg
longview.jpg
owie.jpg
Last edited by AndyH on Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Ghost Gunnin' the AF Qual

Post by lurker »

:thumbup:

shinzen
Site Admin

Post by shinzen »

That's awesome.

Bisbee
Carpal Tunnel

Post by Bisbee »

:clap2:
Yessir. The field of dreams.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

TrueTexan
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by TrueTexan »

:thumbup:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
The illegal we do immediately; the unconstitutional takes a little longer-Kissinger
Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired.-Swift

sikacz
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by sikacz »

:beer2: Excellent! :beer:
ImageImage
"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many

SwampGrouch
Carpal Tunnel

Post by SwampGrouch »

Kewl!
"There never was a union of church and state which did not bring serious evils to religion."
The Right Reverend John England, first Roman Catholic Bishop of Charleston SC, 1825.