Re: New CZ 455 and MKII tom foolery

There are no pics, but the icing on the cake was when I decided I had Minimags to spare and tried to hit the gong at 200yds. I managed to hit the gong two out of ten shots. I may not be Canadian sniper material, but I was pretty damned pleased with myself. :yahoo: I may zero the 455 at 100 yds and try again some time. I love the pause between the shot going off and the gong sounding. :D

Since I don't have a pic of the gong, here's a picture of one of the deer that kept walking through the range.
OhDear.jpg
Last edited by MaxWyatt on Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MaxWyatt wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:35 pm 50 Yards with MK II using Aguila Subsonic:

9/10 rounds on the paper. I think the 10th round must have evaporated during flight. :blush: Still, I was pretty stoked to find I was capable of this. :yahoo:
Nice! I knew you could do it. :clap:

Did anybody look at you funny for taking a pistol to the rifle range?
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Buck13 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:17 pm
MaxWyatt wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:35 pm 50 Yards with MK II using Aguila Subsonic:

9/10 rounds on the paper. I think the 10th round must have evaporated during flight. :blush: Still, I was pretty stoked to find I was capable of this. :yahoo:
Nice! I knew you could do it. :clap:

Did anybody look at you funny for taking a pistol to the rifle range?
I was totally alone at the rifle range that day. The only funny looks I got were from the doe and fawn that kept walking in front of me. Apparently I was infringing upon their right to graze on the open range. :think:

MaxWyatt wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:34 pm I was totally alone at the rifle range that day. The only funny looks I got were from the doe and fawn that kept walking in front of me. Apparently I was infringing upon their right to graze on the open range. :think:
Sounds great! The outdoor range I go to usually has anywhere from 5 to 40 guns going, typically in the higher side of that range. Despite the racket, last summer the RSO had to call a cease fire and run out to chase a deer away. THAT was an oblivious deer! I suppose it happens fairly regularly, but that is the only time I've seen it, so far.

MKII050yds.jpg
Glad I'm not the only one that scores my distant targets by the number thst were on the paper. :D
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

Buck13 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:19 pm
Bacchus wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:05 pm 50 yards with a pistol! That is kick-butt. Nice shooting! 50 yard bullseye match...? :hmmm:
Your Glock wants to try this now. :ninja:
Challenge accepted! ;) If I hit anything at 50 yards, I'll post here and treat myself to half a bottle of beer in celebration. Max has his MK dialed in; me, I'm not optimistic.

I'll start with one of those IDPA targets... and pray. :roflmao:
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Cool about the doe and fawn. I hope they stay out of harm's way. Funny how they get used to sounds at the range- I have them at mine, too, and they seem waaaaaay too casual. I have birds flying in front of me all the time at the clays range I go to. I'd feel pretty bad if I hit one. Occupational hazard, flying about in a sporting clays facility.
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Nice! Seems like you had an enjoyable outing! :beer2: My 455 doesn't seem to care what the ammo is. Federal Automatch seems to work acceptably well. Also Lapua SK match ammo works well for higher priced ammo. Usually I just stick to the cheap stuff.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:49 am Nice! Seems like you had an enjoyable outing! :beer2: My 455 doesn't seem to care what the ammo is. Federal Automatch seems to work acceptably well. Also Lapua SK match ammo works well for higher priced ammo. Usually I just stick to the cheap stuff.
I'll have to try the Automatch in the 455. I stopped using it because the 999 Sportsman didn't like it, but it's cheap so if it works, I'd be happy. :D If I make a habit out shooting the gong, I may have to experiment with some higher end ammo. Because that was fun. :bananadance:
Bacchus wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:41 pm Cool about the doe and fawn. I hope they stay out of harm's way. Funny how they get used to sounds at the range- I have them at mine, too, and they seem waaaaaay too casual. I have birds flying in front of me all the time at the clays range I go to. I'd feel pretty bad if I hit one. Occupational hazard, flying about in a sporting clays facility.
The deer are pretty casual out there and apparently don't feel threatened by the shooting. I asked her what she was doing and she just stared at me and then took another bite of grass. Clearly, it was I that was invading her space and not the other way around. A little surreal, actually.

New CZ 455 and MKII tom foolery

I have a good friend and former collaborator who has a “cabin” west of Flagstaff. He woke up this morning with the intention to shoot his lever rifle. Stepping outside, he came upon these guys who were hanging right outside along with a couple more. All males, all calm before the rut begins. He swapped his rifle for a camera and took this image:

Can I suggest two types of ammo that consistently shoot better than they should for their cost: CCI Standard Velocity and SK Standard Plus.

For me, in a variety of firearms, they consistently shoot well. The SK Standard Plus used to also be sold as Wolf Match Target, but now Wolf is selling ammo made by Eley as their Match Target, and I have seen few reviews yet.

Bucolic wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:18 pm I have a good friend and former collaborator who has a “cabin” west of Flagstaff. He woke up this morning with the intention to shoot his lever rifle. Stepping outside, he came upon these guys who were hanging right outside along with a couple more. All males, all calm before the rut begins. He swapped his rifle for a camera and took this image:
Some hunters swear they know when it's open season and when it's not. I tend to believe them.
NuJudge wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:58 pm Can I suggest two types of ammo that consistently shoot better than they should for their cost: CCI Standard Velocity and SK Standard Plus.

For me, in a variety of firearms, they consistently shoot well. The SK Standard Plus used to also be sold as Wolf Match Target, but now Wolf is selling ammo made by Eley as their Match Target, and I have seen few reviews yet.
I haven't tried any SK ammo as I've never seen it around here, I'll try it out if I get a chance. I'd have to agree regarding the CCI standard. It works well in all three of my 22's.

MaxWyatt wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:22 am
Bucolic wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:18 pm I have a good friend and former collaborator who has a “cabin” west of Flagstaff. He woke up this morning with the intention to shoot his lever rifle. Stepping outside, he came upon these guys who were hanging right outside along with a couple more. All males, all calm before the rut begins. He swapped his rifle for a camera and took this image:
Some hunters swear they know when it's open season and when it's not. I tend to believe them.
NuJudge wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:58 pm Can I suggest two types of ammo that consistently shoot better than they should for their cost: CCI Standard Velocity and SK Standard Plus.

I haven't tried any SK ammo as I've never seen it around here, I'll try it out if I get a chance. I'd have to agree regarding the CCI standard. It works well in all three of my 22's.
I had some SK target ammo that didn't do any better than the Eley most of my rifles love, but their SK Magazine in the tin can was awesome! Sadly, I haven't seen any for a while,
and my ammo safe is overflowing so I'm gong to wait a while anyway. :)
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

Bacchus wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:38 pm
Buck13 wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:19 pm
Bacchus wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:05 pm 50 yards with a pistol! That is kick-butt. Nice shooting! 50 yard bullseye match...? :hmmm:
Your Glock wants to try this now. :ninja:
Challenge accepted! ;) If I hit anything at 50 yards, I'll post here and treat myself to half a bottle of beer in celebration. Max has his MK dialed in; me, I'm not optimistic.

I'll start with one of those IDPA targets... and pray. :roflmao:
Ha! We saw your targets from the last Bullseye match. I'd bet heavily on you to miss *zero* times on a Birchwood Casey 12" Shoot-N-See. :yes: