Most fun SHTF gun

I want to get a shtf long gun. I'm down to the Remington 870 DM 12 gauge pump and the Ruger Mini 14.

Now, I realized that the reason I sold all my prior SHTF guns is that they just weren't fun to shoot and if you aren't proficient with a firearm, best not take it to SHTF. I'll stick with my 627 at that point.

So, out of the 870 DM and Mini 14, which would be more fun at the range?

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Re: Most fun SHTF gun

I LOVE my Kel-Tec Sub 2000! I cannot think of a better SHTF rifle--it takes 9mm Luger, uses 92fs magazines, folds in half in a second so it fits in a back pack.

It's not as QUITE as much fun to shoot as my Beretta Cx4 or Marlin 1894 .357 but it's still a fun gun to shoot and more accurate at 50 yards than you'd expect. It's semi-automatic so it can shoot extremely fast.

And it's not too expensive!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:44 pm I LOVE my Kel-Tec Sub 2000! I cannot think of a better SHTF rifle--it takes 9mm Luger, uses 92fs magazines, folds in half in a second so it fits in a back pack.

It's not as QUITE as much fun to shoot as my Beretta Cx4 or Marlin 1894 .357 but it's still a fun gun to shoot and more accurate at 50 yards than you'd expect. It's semi-automatic so it can shoot extremely fast.

Ditto, but senorgrand seems to want a shotgun.

KelTec KS7? :)
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:42 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:44 pm I LOVE my Kel-Tec Sub 2000! I cannot think of a better SHTF rifle--it takes 9mm Luger, uses 92fs magazines, folds in half in a second so it fits in a back pack.

Ditto, but senorgrand seems to want a shotgun.

KelTec KS7? :)
I don't know anything about it, but it looks pretty cool! Not sure if it's legal in NJ, tho.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

The Mini 14 is fun at the range. .223 gives you plenty of punch up to a couple hundred yards, tends not to go through your wall and then your neighbor's wall, provides way more oompf than a PCC and provides you with the ability to use a nice feeding device rather than stuffing individual shells into a tube. You can outfit it as you see proper, vanity being a large part of SHTF, ya know. Mine is the stainless Ranch that came with the black synthetic stock. I swapped that out for a used birch stock that looks much better. Last time out, it was shooting to the left with irons, so I think I need to spend some time sighting those in better. It may end up with a 1.5x4 on it but the irons need to be addressed anyway. Then, it may end up with a walnut stock and shroud finished in that goo that CDFfingers has used. Make it look like a Mini Carbine. So, there really is no end to the vanity argument for the Mini. Functionally, it shoots well in a lightweight intuitive package that doesn't wear you out so you can practice more at the range. It doesn't look all scary so you can do the whole "gray man" thing during the end times. The bolt handle is where it should be, the safety is in the perfect spot and the stock is, well, traditional. My only real gripe with it is the magazine release location but that's a function of not playing with it enough.

The 870 is a shotgun. It's pump action so you can scare people with the clack clack. :) So there's that.

shinzen wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:07 am Yeah, a PC Carbine would certainly be an option. Low recoil, cheap ammo.
I had a PC40 (prior to Ruger's new PC line) and sold it. It had a much harder recoil than any .223/5.56 platform I've shot while having lower performance and range. I suppose the combo is nice if you share magazines with your handgun and aren't limited to 10 rounds. But it remains my opinion that a lever action is the only appropriate place for a PCC (although YT's Beretta is a sexy beast).

I wish I didn't like SHTF threads.

Me? I actually do not enjoy SHTF threads. It often smacks of mental masturbation... and I heartily approve of self-pleasure! But this thead is kinda like comparing apples to oranges to avocados. Which is common among threads that wander into theoretical territory for the sake of wandering, which is fine if it doesn’t take on the air of faux self-importance which such threads usually do (Talkin ‘bout life and death after all! No we aren’t. Nobody has ever had a real experience with such to actually know what they expound to be true.)

It’s just nice to be in a place where we can have a apple, orange, avocado smoothie (the West Coast SHTF Lite discussion) rather than imagine that such a scenario would actually require what tool to best save our little pink tushies.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

senorgrand wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:10 pm For some reason, that 870 DM looks fun...
Yes it does and the magazine does change the thinking a bit (so does the wood furniture, for vanity's sake). Does it come in 20 gauge? :lol:

Bisbee, yes, it's mental masturbation. But I find it fun when it's polite and thoughtful. Being Californians, part of the equation (masturbation) is trying to figure out what you'll still be able to have fun with at the range in 10 years.

I get bored shooting my shotguns. I try to remain proficient but never think “shooting for fun today. Must take the 12 gauge.” They would suffice in any emergency that would have a non-vanishing probability of occurring.

I’d probably like the Mini. Had plans to get one but did not follow through. Maybe after I assess the tax mess.