Re: Most fun SHTF gun

My family is all blended. I've got 3 nephews, 7 nieces, and only one niece is actually biologically related to me. One nephew and two nieces are biologically related to my wife. And only one of our sons is. 2 out of 12! :D :lol:

But we're all family.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

lurker wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:08 pm
SailDesign wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:48 pm a lovely fellow, if a bit more Southern
there's a fine tale. the world is more interesting sometimes than any of us suspect.
What's funnier is that we both did the Ancestry.com DNA thing, and confirmed the sibling thing, and just last year another half-sibling popped up on Ancestry out of nowhere - someone I have known my entire life, but none of us suspected her Mom had had a fling with my Dad.... Very interesting world. :D
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

Ok, I have narrowed it down to two guns. A Marlin 1894 CB in 357 or the Ruger PC Carbine in 9mm.

If it wasn't for the upcoming ban on semiauto rifles, I would probably still be undecided. But since this might be my last chance at a PCC, I'm probably going to get one before the panic hits.

The Mini 14 made the most sense from a SHTF standpoint, but being able to shoot either the 1894 or the PCC on my local steel range ups their fun factor way past the Mini.

I can see that an 1894CB will probably be in my future as well...eventually. Punting on that for awhile allows me to add a 44 mag revolver to the mix, which might change my caliber choice.

Thanks all.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

seniorgrande said:

But since this might be my last chance at a PCC, I'm probably going to get one before the panic hits.

The 9mm PCC certainly qualifies in the "likely to be ammo of that caliber for a while after an 'event'".

It has plenty of firepower for SHTF use cases. Of course, I personally think a 22LR is a good option for SHTF.

Enjoy what you buy. This has been a good thread.

I can see that many people here are in the "casual prepper" camp - which is roughly where I am.

There are many forms of SHTF without Zoombies. The people who lived in Paradise California can tell you that you do not need a global event for a very real Bug Out situation.

Yes, Ruger PCC. Marvelous caliber. Excellent choice, sir.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

max129 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:24 pm
lurker said:
max129 wrote:
Zoombies.
those are the fast ones, right? not your average walking dead?
I was thinking normal slow squishy ones. Not the scary wicked fast ones from 'I am Legend'.
LOL! Yes, just normal zombies. Not the fast ones. :roflmao:
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

senorgrand wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:09 pm Yeah, if my eyes were better, I would get the 73 because it seems least dependent on angle for feeding and ejecting. Plus, action job!

But the 94 is one of the only levers that easily takes a scope, which I might need at some point.
I'm still trying to figure out what mount should go on it that can then take a scope.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

senorgrand wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:14 pm Let me know what you come up with. Since the 94s are back in production, I would expect more after market support. I'd like a see-through rail so a quick detach scope could be used and when removed, stock sights could still be used too.
I'd like that too. No idea how to go about it without trying stuff. Not sure I know what a quick-detach is other than a flip. Also we'll need a hammer extension.