Range Report 8/18 Spr. 1911 and bitty Glock w/ pic

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, Paco, ForumModerator, Marksman Mods

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

Range Report 8/18 Spr. 1911 and bitty Glock w/ pic

Post by CDFingers »

Can't say as I'd set a beer on it while it ran like you could a 1940 flathead Ford, right between the plugs there, but my Springer 1911 mil spec runs as smooth--a sewing machine but bullets. Good range trip with my son, whose bitty bitty .40 Glock I also shot. In an hour, 72 rounds in two different guns may not seem like much unless your real life is juggling greased rabid weasels while balancing on a four foot exercise ball. Grinned.

I tested the Pachmayr palm swell grip combo with the swell on the right side and the rubber on the left side.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=53840&p=722972&hili ... ll#p722809

This gun, mine:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=45561&hilit=Springer+1911

And this gun, my son's:

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/4 ... -glock-27/

Since I was testing the grips on the 1911 I only shot a California Ten from his little .40 Glock. Thing shot fine, and I think it's a great gun for what it was made for, carrying. So he was testing, too. He's a much better shot than I am. Dig it.

The gun is so small my little finger had to go under the grip, 'bout disappeared in my hand, the grip. Now, one would think that a .40 might be a bit stout and painful in something weighs as much as a 1/2 can of beer--workin' with what I've got here, folks. Bear with me. The gun felt just fine. Granted, I'd been plinkin' away with the Springer in the next lane, so there's that. But I shot the little guy one handed as usual at the ten yard target, got a great group and a great grin, brass bounced off the wall and hit my muffs every time. With my son there. Zhweet.

There were really two things going on with the .45. The first was the grip test, and then this trigger thing my son turned me on to, which he got from a friend of his who learned it from his cousin--nah. The technique is to have that last finger bone before the hand, to have it parallel to the axis of the barrel--not the bone with the finger nail, not the next, but the next, just before the hand. Parallel to the barrel. Now, he and I have the same hands, duh, and the palm swell test reflects this. Our hands are just a bit big for some grips. So if you make that bone parallel to the barrel and you have big hands, well, that changes how the trigger pulls. Turns out this forces the trigger to pull along the barrel axis also. Well, blow me down. That was cool.

So, take your pistol hand and make like you're gripping your semi. Point your trigger finger straight with the others naturally curled around the phantom grip. Now, look in there at your palm. Damn. There's a little cup. Enter the palm swell grip. If you poked into the grips thread above you know I bought two sets because more money than sense and broke, so this time I had the swell on the right and the rubber on the left. It felt really solid. Fingers on the left side gripped the rubber cleanly with no slip, and I could feel the palm swell on the right during the shot, like when you're splitting wood and your far hand slides down and hits the butt hand just as the bolt splits magically in two, and your hands don't feel a thing. I do want to try with two rubber ones, but I don't think putting a swell on the left would do anything. Air ball, sort of. This test was most enjoyable. I had a more solid grip. That about says it all. More solid, more flesh in contact with the grip.

My first world problem: I left brass, good brass, on the range floor. And I grinned. Dang.

CDFingers
ImageImage
Turn on channel six, the President comes on the news,
Says, "I get no satisfaction, that's why I sing the blues."

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Range Report 8/18 Spr. 1911 and bitty Glock w/ pic

Post by CDFingers »

Here we can see some views of the actual palm swell. It seems to fit right into that spot on my hand, forcing my finger bone into parallel with the bore. I will work on this new trigger approach to see what happens.

P1010109.JPG
P1010112.JPG

CDFingers
ImageImage
Turn on channel six, the President comes on the news,
Says, "I get no satisfaction, that's why I sing the blues."