Democrats look to steal defeat from jaws of victory

Well, they are at it again.

Riding a wave of dissatisfaction with Trump and the absolutely horrid actions of the Republican Congress, Democrats had started to become favored overwhelmingly on a national level according to numerous polls. Well. That is until all the gun protests started ramping up. Increased media calls and consequently Democratic politician calls for gun control, Democrats went from 50% D-36%R down to the current 46%D-41%R.

Interesting to note that the recent Pennsylvania special election where Lamb won a heavily Republican district, Lamb campaigned as very strongly pro-gun. Hrmmm.

Single issue gun voters are all pro-gun. All people who are anti-gun would vote Democrat regardless of that Democrat's stance on guns. Democrats still haven't learned from 1994. They keep repeating the same damn mistake.

Re: Democrats look to steal defeat from jaws of victory

No, they don't learn. 1994 was a culmination of many, many years of mistakes, that led to Nixon's election in 1968, forfeiting not just one but TWO Supreme Court seats they didn't have to give up. The entire leadership (so-called) of the Democratic Party is filled with incompetent self-serving hacks. Remember: Bill Clinton is the ONLY President since Woodrow Wilson to win TWO terms without ever once having the majority of the popular vote. His plan and his team's plan was to aim for 270, not 400 electoral votes...and his wife made the same moronic mistake.

Remember: In 1996 Clinton, who SHOULD have won a landslide, taken back both Houses on his coattails, did none of it. Selfish, short-sighted--and Hillary did the same damn thing in 2016--SHE should have taken 55-60% of the popular vote, not less than 50%. But like her husband, she didn't stump for all the Congressional candidates in iffy states.

But they are only symptoms of the rot. Pelosi, Hoyer, Perez, the DNC, DSCC, DCCC, etc, even Emily's List are all now corrupt to the core, more centered on maintaining themselves and their favored "consultants" than the people out there in the streets.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

DispositionMatrix wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:40 am Jason Crow is campaigning for gun prohibition in his Colorado district. Many Democrats believe this is a recipe for success.

Audio.
Colorado, Guns And Politics
He'll probably win in that district to be honest. The rest of the country? The Dems are writing the book on "How to lose an election in one easy step" or an online clickbait article- "Use this one simple trick to lose an election!"
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:58 am
DispositionMatrix wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:40 am Jason Crow is campaigning for gun prohibition in his Colorado district. Many Democrats believe this is a recipe for success.

Audio.
He'll probably win in that district to be honest. The rest of the country? The Dems are writing the book on "How to lose an election in one easy step" or an online clickbait article- "Use this one simple trick to lose an election!"
Yep.

shinzen wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:58 am

Audio.
As if losing winnable Senate seats in 2014 taught them anything.
As if losing a slam-dunk Presidential election and a majority of the the Senate in 2016 taught them anything.
As if actually winning in NJ, VA, and Alabama in 2017, by breaking ALL the old moribund Democratic "election rules" taught them anything.
As if winning the special Congressional election in Pa this year taught them anything.

Clearly, not. Nada, rien, gornischt--nothing.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I'm still optimistic that there are some realists left in the Democratic Party. In some districts Democrats have too many candidates which opens the door for passionate ideologues (read anti-gun) to win primaries and if they don't match their districts, then Republicans win. All the "wave" talk among Democrats is unrealistic, anything is possible but nothing can be assumed, voters are fickle, polls are wrong and if you are out of step with your constituents you lose.

This is the calendar of state primaries to follow in the lead up to November 2018.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... sults.html
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Eris wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:08 pm Theyve got me considering voting for the Libertarians. The Libs wouldn't win, but it would be a way of casting a protest vote.
All protest votes do is exaggerate Democrats' losses. But since they NEVER learn from the big turning away to the Re-Thugs, not sure why you think they'll learn anything from protest votes...2016 showed they learned zip from the 2000 protest votes for Nader, which cost them Florida and gave us Bush.

Despite everything it's been clear since Reagan's time that the WORST Democrats running government are still infinitely better than the BEST Republicans running any part of it. Sad, but true.

Eris wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:08 pm Theyve got me considering voting for the Libertarians. The Libs wouldn't win, but it would be a way of casting a protest vote.
Spot on. Vote wherever your moral compass points ya.

This whole lesser of two evils thing is getting pretty tiresome.

A vote for a demon or the devil is still a vote for hell. Hell I'm at a point where I'd consider forgoing voting on issues and voting 100% based on character first.

If they don't meet a base line for character and honesty, I don't care if we agree on every issue, if I can't trust them and think them a dirt bag then what good are they to me in office?

To quote the great Lt. Frank Drebin of Police Squad...

"I want a world where the democrats will put somebody up there worth voting for!"

If we continue the lesser of two evils route, then the establishment will know they can buy us with one of two bought candidates no matter which way we vote.

YankeeTarheel wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:10 pm
All protest votes do is exaggerate Democrats' losses. But since they NEVER learn from the big turning away to the Re-Thugs, not sure why you think they'll learn anything from protest votes...2016 showed they learned zip from the 2000 protest votes for Nader, which cost them Florida and gave us Bush.

Despite everything it's been clear since Reagan's time that the WORST Democrats running government are still infinitely better than the BEST Republicans running any part of it. Sad, but true.
You are right the almost any Democrat would be better than a Republican, but I don't know if I can vote anymore for anyone who wants to take away any of my rights. The lesser of two evils is still evil.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Eris wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:42 pm

You are right the almost any Democrat would be better than a Republican, but I don't know if I can vote anymore for anyone who wants to take away any of my rights. The lesser of two evils is still evil.
Republicans are working hard, putting in overtime, staying up late at nights to take away our rights to an abortion. I say that as a man because once a person's body isn't their own but belongs to the state/church/fake god/whatever, NONE of your rights means shit!
And that's what outlawing abortion means. Ohio is DELIBERATELY crafting a law that violates Roe v. Wade and John Kasich, the so-called "reasonable Republican" is all-in behind it. They WANT this SCOTUS to overturn Roe!

And that means your body and mine no longer belong to you or me. You've said you're trans. You think religious nuts like Kasich, Pence, Sessions et al think you have a RIGHT to change your gender to what you know you really are? Guess again!

One will take away some of your rights to a gun, if they can. The other will take away your right to your own body!

There definitely IS a "lesser of 2 evils" here, and it's far, far less. Consider it.

(and, if I've expressed this in any way that's offensive, please forgive it as ignorance, and nothing else)

YankeeTarheel wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:49 pm
Eris wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:42 pm

Republicans are working hard, putting in overtime, staying up late at nights to take away our rights to an abortion. I say that as a man because once a person's body isn't their own but belongs to the state/church/fake god/whatever, NONE of your rights means shit!
And that's what outlawing abortion means. Ohio is DELIBERATELY crafting a law that violates Roe v. Wade and John Kasich, the so-called "reasonable Republican" is all-in behind it. They WANT this SCOTUS to overturn Roe!

And that means your body and mine no longer belong to you or me. You've said you're trans. You think religious nuts like Kasich, Pence, Sessions et al think you have a RIGHT to change your gender to what you know you really are? Guess again!

One will take away some of your rights to a gun, if they can. The other will take away your right to your own body!

There definitely IS a "lesser of 2 evils" here, and it's far, far less. Consider it.

(and, if I've expressed this in any way that's offensive, please forgive it as ignorance, and nothing else)
No offense taken.

And I'm well aware of the attitudes of the right wing towards trans people. That is no small part of *why* I am a gun owner.

But the Democrats now want to make me powerless to defend myself from the right wing, and that is just as objectionable to me as the right wing itself. It's almost as if the Democrats want me personally to be the next trans person murdered this year. https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2018/03/tra ... ered-2018/
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed