Floridians vote to restore voting rights to ex-cons

IN FLORIDA, A HISTORIC VICTORY FOR VOTING RIGHTS (EP. 21)
The midterm elections made a lot of news, but one result particularly stands out: Florida's vote on Amendment 4. In a historic change, Floridians voted to amend their state constitution to restore voting rights to most people convicted of felonies once they've completed their full sentences. It sailed over the 60 percent threshold it needed to pass. The passage of Amendment 4 marks the largest single expansion of voting rights since the 26th Amendment lowered the voting age to 18 in 1971. In a state where one of 10 adults couldn’t vote, 1.4 million Floridians will now be able to reclaim their place in civic life.

To mark the occasion, we’re replaying an earlier episode of At Liberty, which explores the history of felony disenfranchisement and features Desmond Meade, one of the leaders of this historic effort.

Re: Floridians vote to restore voting rights to ex-cons

Why isn’t this mandated throughout the US? Why are we denying other ex felons living in other states the same right? Massachusetts allows all ex felons to vote even if they are on parole or bond. As long as they are not behind bars they can vote. All states should have the same voter requirements. If your 18 years old or older, a US citizen and not in a jail you should be able to vote in a Federal election. If you meet the resident requirements of that state being your primary residence you should be able to vote in local and state elections.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

eelj wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:44 pm
highdesert wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:16 pm Glad it passed, if they all vote blue it would have a big impact on FL elections.
The ones that have been in for embezzlement and money laundering will probably vote repug.
True, that's fully the R's brand in FL. They just voted again (maybe) for that piece of shit Rick Scott, CEO of the largest Medicare fraud in history. Because apparently Rs love crime, as long as it's major white-collar crime, not the petty stuff, and as long as it's stealing THEIR tax dollars.

I'm glad Scott Walker lost, but I'm not happy about the election since Rick Scott didn't go down with him. Those assholes formed a matched set in my mind, for some reason.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Rest assured, Scott hasn't been elected yet. Broward County may be a mess, but there tens of thousands ballots, likely heavily Democratic, yet to be counted.

It's almost certain that both the Governor's and Senate races are going to a mandatory manual recount in Florida. Rick Scott has dropped his feeble "Nice Guy" persona to reveal the vicious, venomous, lying, ruthless rabid monster he's always been. It's why the Frist family got rid of him and split Columbia (Scott's company) from their HCA...one-time ColumbiaHCA is just HCA. Much of if it was due to, guess what? Scott's predilection for blatant Medicare fraud!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."