Shortages again ?

So many executive orders, so much twitter. What to do? Well, discuss it here for one...

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Shortages again ?

Post by YankeeTarheel »

Mea Culpa! I never claimed my list was complete or exclusive--that's what "Just a few." means.

Feel free to add all the other wonderful things "French", like
Dijon Moutard
Pommes Frites
Jean-Pierre Rampal
REAL (not Hellman's) Mayonnaise

Add more, please!
""If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." -- LBJ

featureless
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by featureless »

French toast?
French fries?
Guillotine?
:lol:

highdesert
Carpal Tunnel

Post by highdesert »

croissants
onion soup
quiche
chocolate mousse
champagne
Roquefort cheese
pepper steak

And their many bistros, small French restaurants.

It's said the the English were more concerned with conquering the world so never developed a major cuisine, but the French were more focused on "la belle vie" the good life and they had some help from Italian chefs.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by YankeeTarheel »

Glace de Chocolate
Cafe au Lait
Django Reinhardt
Stephane Grappelli
"J'Attendrai"

But not French beer. If you want "French" beer that's delicious, it's Belgian!
""If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." -- LBJ

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by CDFingers »

I'm gonna need to snort a line of espresso after that meal so my ears can keep up with the music.

CDFingers
ImageImage
Jack Straw from Wichita cut his buddy down
Dug for him a shallow grave and laid his body down

rolandson
Site Admin

Post by rolandson »

Baguette and the bidet. Everything else, including Marc Chagall (who was Belarusian after all) (Fun Fact: I was in Paris the day he died...and the entire city wept)...is fluff. Croissant...yeah, good, for a flaky coronary. Fact is everything else found in France has its equal in origin somewhere else.

I too have spent a lot of time there. My daughter lived in Paris. I love Paris. I love Arle. I love Henri Cartier-Bresson's work...even have one.

But I said contributions to civilization. Talking about food that makes ya shit...

Okay, I was also talking about bidets...so there's that. And I had forgotten about espresso...oh wait! That's Italian....
Now that's cooking!
None the less...
I stand corrected.
good tea, nice house

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by YankeeTarheel »

What a grouch! One can argue that EVERY nation's "contributions" are adaptations of others, with possible exception of China.

Without Lafayette, there is no United States of America. I'd consider THAT a major contribution!

highdesert
Carpal Tunnel

Post by highdesert »

French cuisine owes much to Italy.
While some historians dispute the claim, it is popularly held by most French people that Catherine de' Medici brought the table fork as well as cooks and ingredients from Italy to France in 1533, when she married the man who would eventually become King Henry II, and that she introduced a seminal form of fine dining.

Even the historians who argue that the development of French cuisine wasn't instigated only by the culinary dowry of Catherine de' Medici acknowledge that her Florentine chefs brought superior ways with pastry -- a harbinger of culinary finesse -- to the French court. They also credit the Medici family with bringing artichokes, broccoli and savoy cabbages to the French table.

The historic exchange may account for the similarity between some French and Italian dishes -- as well as centuries-old disputes as to the origins of certain dishes. "Ravioli was originally from Nice," Mr. Verge said. "So was gnocchi."

Italian food historians like Faith Willinger, a cookbook author and owner of Cucina Toscana, a company in Florence that arranges custom food tours, point out that until the last century, Nice was a part of Italy. Nevertheless, French chefs under the Italian influence today employ such claims to emphasize their fundamental Frenchness.
https://www.nytimes.com/1994/10/05/arts ... isine.html
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by CDFingers »

First world problems: adorable.

CDFingers
ImageImage
Jack Straw from Wichita cut his buddy down
Dug for him a shallow grave and laid his body down

highdesert
Carpal Tunnel

Post by highdesert »

First world isn't bad, but nothing is stagnant including cooking. Young chefs love to experiment with tastes and ingredients that put their restaurants on the map. Fusion cuisine is the latest, not just standard international dishes but new creations.

senorgrand
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by senorgrand »

nice to see a thread derail without my help...carry on

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

rolandson
Site Admin

Post by rolandson »

senorgrand wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:28 pm
nice to see a thread derail without my help...carry on
Yeah, we've gone from fine French bidets to "first world problems"...
Imagine.
good tea, nice house

Bisbee
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Bisbee »

From TP to bidets to... food?

I think the Arab culture says something about not using the same hand to type...

Oh never mind.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

senorgrand
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by senorgrand »

I'll just add that the Gallium is #31 on the periodic table, melts at room temperature and derives it's name from "cock." Discuss.

TrueTexan
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by TrueTexan »

And I had forgotten about espresso...oh wait! That's Italian....
Which came from Turkey and the eastern Mediterranean with origins in Ethiopia area where the coffee bean was and still grown. Also spread to North Africa and across the Mediterranean.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
The illegal we do immediately; the unconstitutional takes a little longer-Kissinger
Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired.-Swift

sig230
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by sig230 »

TrueTexan wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:57 pm
And I had forgotten about espresso...oh wait! That's Italian....
Which came from Turkey and the eastern Mediterranean with origins in Ethiopia area where the coffee bean was and still grown. Also spread to North Africa and across the Mediterranean.
Because coffee is a great non-alcoholic high. Plus coffee and a hookah simply go together like scotch & water or gin & tonic or Sonny & Cher...
To be vintage it must be older than me! Coming to you from Deep South Texas!

Bisbee
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by Bisbee »

Speaking of Sonny & Cher, did you know that Gallium, named after the Latin word for rooster, Galli, is also happens to be the nickname of Sonny Bono’s great, great uncle on his mother’s side, an Sicilian farmer by the name of Antonio “Galli” Demecurio? I kid you not! 5 degrees of separation, man.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

senorgrand
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by senorgrand »

well done