Re: Federal government shut down

The 45th runs the eastern range and supports most operations at the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station and Kennedy Space Center. This shut-down is slowing the work of our crewed missions (and the ability to get folks to/from the ISS) and is very likely going to cost US launch operators plenty of money if companies and countries put their payloads on other country's rockets.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2018/01 ... certainty/

http://www.patrick.af.mil/2018-Government-Shutdown/
A MESSAGE FROM BRIGADIER GENERAL WAYNE MONTEITH

Team,

By now, I’m sure you are well aware that a budget agreement was not reached last night resulting in a government-wide shutdown effective today. Many in our workforce recall the impacts of the 2013 shutdown, and now 5 years later, we find ourselves in a similar situation.

The unfortunate reality of the current situation is that lives and operations are disrupted. That said, I want you to know I am committed to each and every one of you and believe that communication will be the key to working through this together. I encourage you to read this page as it contains information on the current shutdown, how it will impact base resources, and what financial resource options you have, should you need them.

If the government does not reopen by the end of the weekend, everyone will report at their regularly scheduled times on Monday, and we will begin carrying out an orderly shutdown and doing official furlough notifications. This day will be difficult on all of us, but know that I value all of you for the effort you make day in and day out. We simply cannot accomplish our primary mission of assured access to space without our incredible civilian workforce. This challenging time should not divide but unite us. My hope is that the furlough’s duration will be brief and become a mere speed bump in our Drive to 48 launches a year.

Be patient, be kind to one another, and stay informed. In the end, our Nation and our mission relies on us, and I rely on you.

Shark 1

harriss wrote:
GeorgiaRN wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/19/politics/ ... index.html

It would seem (at least according to CNN) that most people do not favor a shutdown over DACA.
No. But over 80% favor allowing the DACA people to stay and 60% of republicans favor allowing DACA people to stay. We just aren't being told that McConnell and Ryan are playing parliamentary games to prevent a vote on DACA.

Yes, I will easily say in passing that I am in favor of DACA people staying, but is it worth government workers and military paychecks during a shutdown? Hell no its not. The Democrats will be seen as holding the Government hostage over special interests. I think party has over played its hand.
EAT,SLEEP,RANGE,REPEAT

There were Republicans that also voted against the budget bill. Many are seeing the Special Interest causing the shutdown by not allowing the Dems to work with the GOP for a solution but trying to ram the GOP solution down the throats of the DEms with a take it or leave it approach to the problems. Along with the Great Orange Ones demand for his stupid Wall. Better we put him in Mar-a-lago and build a wal around it to include an electronic twitter blocking wall.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

It may have started with DACA, but it's the Border Wall and our immigration system (chain immigration).
Trump called on Senate Republicans Sunday to go totally “nuclear,” changing the rules so they can pass any legislation with a simple majority of 50 votes, plus Mike Pence’s tiebreaking vote. Hard-liners like Ted Cruz, the architect of the 2013 shutdown, endorsed the idea. But McConnell and other old bulls who have spent decades in the minority continue to resist this push because they understand that, over the long-term, turning the Senate into a majoritarian body like the House would benefit liberals much more than conservatives.
A big reason that the prospects for putting points on the board this year are so poor is that Trump is an unreliable negotiating partner. “Negotiating with President Trump is like negotiating with Jell-O,” Minority Leader Chuck Schumer complained Saturday. “It’s next to impossible.”

He’s not alone in feeling this way. Republicans were freaked out that Trump would cut a deal with Schumer when the two met alone on Friday. McConnell publicly expressed frustration last week, before the shutdown, that he didn’t know what Trump wanted: “I’m looking for something that President Trump supports, and he’s not yet indicated what measure he’s willing to sign.”

Trump even undercuts his own staff. During a bipartisan meeting at the White House led by the president two weeks ago, Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen passed out a four-page document on the administration’s “must haves” for any immigration bill. The list included $18 billion for a border wall, eliminating the diversity visa lottery program and ending “extended family chain migration.”

“But one person seemed surprised and alarmed by the memo: the president,” Ashley Parker, Josh Dawsey and Ed O’Keefe reported on the Sunday front page. “With Democrats and Republicans still in the room, Trump said that the document didn’t represent all of his positions, that he wasn’t familiar with its contents and that he didn’t appreciate being caught off-guard. He instructed the group to disregard the summary and move on, according to one of the lawmakers in the room … ‘It’s like the wedding where someone actually stands up and objects to the wedding,’ the lawmaker said. ‘It was that moment.’”

The uncertainty that Trump creates makes it hard to hold coalitions together. Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) declined to say, for instance, that he would vote for any immigration deal that the president negotiates. “I can’t make that commitment at all,” he said Sunday on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

Trump’s own aides have privately diagnosed the president with “defiance disorder” to describe his apparent compulsion to do whatever it is his advisers are most strongly urging against, forcing them to clean up the chaos he creates. That’s according to a book by Fox News host Howard Kurtz that will come out next week. Two other nuggets from “Media Madness,” via Ashley Parker:

“In late July, the White House had just finished an official policy review on transgender individuals serving in the military and President Trump and his then-chief of staff, Reince Priebus, had agreed to meet in the Oval Office to discuss the four options awaiting the president in a decision memo. But then Trump unexpectedly preempted the conversation and sent his entire administration scrambling, by tweeting out his own decision — that the government would not allow transgender individuals to serve — just moments later. ‘Oh my God, he just tweeted this,’ Priebus said …

Steve Bannon told Trump when he left the White House in August that his main goal back at Breitbart would be “to bring [McConnell] down.” “Trump said that was fine, that Bannon should go ahead,” Kurtz writes.
Trump’s reelection campaign released a web video accusing Democrats of being responsible for “every murder” committed by an undocumented immigrant. It opens with a clip from a courtroom outburst by Luis Bracamontes, an undocumented immigrant accused of killing two California cops four years ago. “Now Democrats who stand in our way will be complicit in every murder committed by illegal immigrants,” a narrator says. “President Trump will fix our border and keep our families safe.” White House legislative affairs director Marc Short said the video was made by an outside group when Chuck Todd pressed him about it on “Meet the Press” Sunday, but the video literally ends with the president saying: “I'm Donald Trump, and I approve this message.”

-- David Nakamura notes the different terminology deployed by conservatives and liberals in the immigration debate reflects how entrenched each side has become: “On the right, Trump and his allies have warned of the dangers of ‘chain migration,’ railed against ‘amnesty’ for lawbreakers and urged a shift toward a ‘merit-based’ system. … On the left, advocates have defended a tradition of ‘family reunification’ and cast undocumented immigrants who arrived as children as ‘dreamers’ and ‘kids’ in need of special care — even though some are in their mid-30s. … The starkly different terms show why it’s so hard for Washington to agree on major immigration reform. For years, over several administrations, the two sides have accused each other of being unable or unwilling to accurately name the problem with a system they agree is broken.”
But the liberal base is ginned up. Weigel reports from a women’s march in Las Vegas this weekend: “In Democratic thinking, Nevada had become Exhibit A in how the party could overwhelm Republican voters by activating the base. It started with [former senator Harry Reid’s 2010 reelection win], the first time that a Democrat had raised the profile of ‘dreamers[.]’ … The lesson Democrats and activists took from the race was that they could force fights on complicated issues, like immigration and gun violence, if they gave them human faces. … At Sunday’s rally, and around Las Vegas, organizers were working once again to make dreamers famous.”

-- If this shutdown follows the pattern of the past two, neither party will suffer long-term consequences. FiveThirtyEight’s Harry Enten notes: “[After the 1995/1996 shutdown,] Republicans recovered on the generic ballot by February 1996, just a month after the final shutdown of that period ended. And in the elections later that year, they held onto their majorities in both the House and Senate. Clinton, meanwhile, recovered his lost support by March 1996. He would go on to easily win reelection later in 1996. Basically, America put the same people who shut the government down back in office.”
-- The president’s son, Eric, said on Fox News that the shutdown is “a good thing for us.” “The only reason [Democrats] want to shut down government is to distract and to stop [the president’s] momentum,” he said. (HuffPost)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pow ... d38a952072
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

GeorgiaRN wrote:
harriss wrote:
GeorgiaRN wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/19/politics/ ... index.html

It would seem (at least according to CNN) that most people do not favor a shutdown over DACA.
No. But over 80% favor allowing the DACA people to stay and 60% of republicans favor allowing DACA people to stay. We just aren't being told that McConnell and Ryan are playing parliamentary games to prevent a vote on DACA.

Yes, I will easily say in passing that I am in favor of DACA people staying, but is it worth government workers and military paychecks during a shutdown? Hell no its not. The Democrats will be seen as holding the Government hostage over special interests. I think party has over played its hand.
I'm not fan of .gov shutdowns, but I'm even less a fan of misguided attempts to spin blame. The current president made it clear that shutdowns were bad and that the president was in charge...until he was looking for a corner in the oval office. This is his shutdown, and it also belongs to the rest of the Republicans that want to reshape this country into an autocratic theocracy.

I'll say this in passing... Repubs say they support the troops. My ass. F'n hypocrites.

The Senate appeared poised to break its budget impasse on Monday as Democrats planned to join Republicans in voting for a short-term spending bill that would reopen the government and provide funding through Feb. 8.

The upper chamber was expected to quickly approve the bill, and House members were told to await a possible vote Monday afternoon, raising the possibility that the shutdown would end after just three days.

“We will vote today to reopen the government,” Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) said in a speech on the Senate floor.

Democrats and some Republicans had been seeking ironclad assurances from Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) of a vote on immigration policy in the coming weeks in exchange for reopening the government.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said Sunday that he will open debate on immigration if Democrats help Republicans pass the Feb. 8 measure. On Monday morning, Sens. Susan Collins (R-Maine), Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) and Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) said they wanted a firmer, more detailed commitment on behalf of a bipartisan group of senators.

“It would be helpful if the language were a little bit stronger because the level of tension is so high,” Collins told reporters outside her office. She said McConnell deserves credit for his offer.

Graham said he and Flake plan to vote for the Feb. 8 spending bill, adding that McConnell’s language “can be firmer — will be.”

Other members of the group expressed hope that momentum for a deal was building. Some had called for the noon vote to be delayed to allow time for further negotiations.

“I think a lot is going to happen in the next two hours — a lot of changes,” said Sen. Gary Peters (D-Mich.).

Some had eyed the possibility of a breakthrough. A Republican aide involved in the talks said that McConnell and his team were considering putting their plan in document form with more detail as a way of convincing some Democrats to support the short-term bill.

Democrats said they were open to considering a written pledge but said the specifics would matter. “Trust but verify,” said Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.).

As the impasse continued through the weekend, it was unclear whether the public would blame the Republicans, who control the White House and Congress, or Democrats, who sought protection for young undocumented immigrants as government agencies remain shuttered.

With the negotiations focused on the Senate, President Trump used Twitter to interject his opinion. Democrats are acting at the behest of their “far left base” in advocating for “dreamers,” he argued.

“The Democrats are turning down services and security for citizens in favor of services and security for noncitizens. Not good!” Trump wrote on Twitter.

The effects of the shutdown over the weekend were relatively limited: halting trash pickup on National Park Service property, canceling military reservists’ drill plans, switching off some government employees’ cellphones.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpos ... 4ebab1c38a
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

AndyH wrote: I'm not fan of .gov shutdowns, but I'm even less a fan of misguided attempts to spin blame. The current president made it clear that shutdowns were bad and that the president was in charge...until he was looking for a corner in the oval office. This is his shutdown, and it also belongs to the rest of the Republicans that want to reshape this country into an autocratic theocracy.

I'll say this in passing... Repubs say they support the troops. My ass. F'n hypocrites.
I agree about the shutdown but Turnip said it might be good for him politically.
Trump reportedly says government shutdown might be good for him
President Donald Trump has told confidants that he thinks a shutdown of the federal government might be positive for him politically, according to The Washington Post.

The newspaper attributed the story to people who have spoken to the president recently. Two of those people, according to the Post, said he has told advisors that it is important that he appears tough on immigration and pushes for getting funding for building a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.

Trump has reportedly said taking a hard stand on immigration could help him win back supporters who were unhappy about his outreach to Democrats during the fall.

If the government is shut down, the president said he would put the blame on Democrats, according to the Post. The government runs into a spending deadline Dec. 8, and a number of analysts expect Republicans to propose extending current funding to Dec. 22.

Democratic leadership has already clashed with the president this week after he tweeted that it would not be possible to make a deal with them. Both House minority leader Nancy Pelosi and Senate minority leader Chuck Schumer dropped out of a meeting at the White House after his comment.
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/30/trump-s ... -wapo.html

As for supporting the troops the Reptilians only support more wars that make them money and to hell with the troops. The Reptilians follow the words of their favorite Secretary of State Kissinger.
“Military men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in foreign policy.”
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Roughly 60 hours after the federal government first shut down, a bipartisan group of negotiators in the Senate reached a breakthrough to reopen the government by uniting Republican and Democratic leaders in an agreement on immigration and spending.

The Senate headed toward overwhelming passage of a short-term spending bill later in the day Monday after voting to end debate by a vote of 81-18. The House was then expected to pass the measure and send it to President Trump for his signature, laying the groundwork for the government to reopen by Monday evening.

The spending bill would fund the government through Feb. 8 and reauthorize the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) for six years.

The resolution to the three-day shutdown exposed a growing rift among Democratic senators, several of whom were highly critical of their leaders’ willingness to trust Republicans to bring up immigration legislation next month.

A majority of Democrats had forced the shutdown with demands for a vote on legislation to protect young undocumented immigrants known as “dreamers” from deportation. The final agreement did not include these protections, nor any specific guarantee of a vote.

“So long as the government remains open, it would be my intention to take up legislation here in the Senate that would address DACA, border security and related issues,” McConnell said on the Senate floor Monday morning.

“This immigration debate will have a level playing field at the outset and an amendment process that is fair to all sides,” he said.

Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) warned McConnell to keep his word.

“I expect the majority leader to fulfill his commitment to the Senate, to me and to the bipartisan group, and abide by this agreement. If he does not ... he will have breached the trust of not only the Democratic senators, but members of his own party as well,” Schumer said before the vote to end debate.

Democratic and independent senators who relented in the standoff said they trusted the bipartisan group of negotiators, including Sens. Susan Collins (R-Maine) and Joe Manchin III (D-W.Va.), to force McConnell to abide by his commitments.

But a group of liberal senators, some of whom are weighing runs for the presidency in 2020, said they did not hear anything new from McConnell that would give them confidence he would hold an immigration vote.

“I believe it’s been a false choice that’s been presented” between keeping the government open and resolving the DACA issue, said Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), who voted no. “I believe we can do both.”

Senators who voted against the bill included Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) and Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), all considered possible White House contenders.

The Senate still must pass the final spending bill before sending it to the House.

The vote to end debate came together quickly midday Monday after Collins and several other senators said they wanted a firmer, more detailed commitment from McConnell about holding a vote on an immigration bill.

“It would be helpful if the language were a little bit stronger because the level of tension is so high,” Collins told reporters outside her office.

A Republican aide involved in the talks said that McConnell and his team were considering putting their plan in document form with more detail as a way of convincing some Democrats to support the short-term bill.

As the impasse continued through the weekend, it was unclear whether the public would blame the Republicans, who control the White House and Congress, or Democrats, who sought protection for young undocumented immigrants as government agencies remain shuttered.

With the negotiations focused on the Senate, President Trump used Twitter to interject his opinion. Democrats are acting at the behest of their “far left base” in advocating for “dreamers,” he argued.

“The Democrats are turning down services and security for citizens in favor of services and security for noncitizens. Not good!” Trump wrote on Twitter.

The effects of the shutdown over the weekend were relatively limited: halting trash pickup on National Park Service property, canceling military reservists’ drill plans, switching off some government employees’ cellphones.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpos ... 09e53fc036

senorgrand wrote:idiots...dems should have dug their heels in over CHIP funding instead of DACA. Now they just look stupid and weak.

Terrible "leadership" by schumer
Agreed, Senate Dems are questioning Schumer's leadership in playing the brinkmanship card then backing off. To get public support Dems need to broaden the issues before February 8th, it can't be just about DACA which doesn't affect most Americans.

highdesert wrote:
senorgrand wrote:idiots...dems should have dug their heels in over CHIP funding instead of DACA. Now they just look stupid and weak.

Terrible "leadership" by schumer
Agreed, Senate Dems are questioning Schumer's leadership in playing the brinkmanship card then backing off. To get public support Dems need to broaden the issues before February 8th, it can't be just about DACA which doesn't affect most Americans.
Yup

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

I wish they had demanded both the DACA and CHIP programs. But I can see why we need to really get something done about the DACA Kids. We have the ICE wanting to go and do a dragnet pick up all the DACA kids bust a few heads and throwthen out of the country now. The CHIP kids are still going to be here and if the Reptillians had their way they wouldn’t do anything to help them or they would have already done a funding bill for them.It is a goal of the Reptillians to destroy any form of federally funded healthcare except for their healthcare.

I have a solution for the immigrant issue including the Dreamers and the refugees. A playbook from St. Ronnie himself, Amnesty!
As the nation's attention turns back to the fractured debate over immigration, it might be helpful to remember that in 1986, Ronald Reagan signed a sweeping immigration reform bill into law. It was sold as a crackdown: There would be tighter security at the Mexican border, and employers would face strict penalties for hiring undocumented workers.

But the bill also made any immigrant who'd entered the country before 1982 eligible for amnesty — a word not usually associated with the father of modern conservatism.
https://www.npr.org/templates/story/sto ... =128303672

Let the Dems shove the Reagan plan forward and let the Reptillians choke on it.

If senate dems had made the fight about CHIP, they would have probably won without a shutdown. Maybe throw in meals on wheels or something.

Instead, they shutdown the govt over something that, while widely supported, is probably not "shutdown-worthy".

When you have as little power as the dems do right now, it's painful to watch them piss it away.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

AndyH wrote:81 to 18. On to the House.
Actually, not. That was the vote on cloture, where they needed 60 votes Now they have to have the real vote. Hopefully they'll get at least 67, veto-proof.

The only surprise was Jon Tester voting "no" being he's from Montana, a Democrat from a VERY Republican state, and up for re-election this fall.

Will Paul Ryan weasel out? Will he invoke the imbecilic "Hastert Rule"? Or will he realize that if he a) doesn't bring it to the floor with the same assurances as Mitch, and b) doesn't get it passed, HE will now "own" the the shutdown, #Ryanshutdown ?
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote:
AndyH wrote:81 to 18. On to the House.
Actually, not. That was the vote on cloture, where they needed 60 votes Now they have to have the real vote. Hopefully they'll get at least 67, veto-proof.

The only surprise was Jon Tester voting "no" being he's from Montana, a Democrat from a VERY Republican state, and up for re-election this fall.

Will Paul Ryan weasel out? Will he invoke the imbecilic "Hastert Rule"? Or will he realize that if he a) doesn't bring it to the floor with the same assurances as Mitch, and b) doesn't get it passed, HE will now "own" the the shutdown, #Ryanshutdown ?
It appears there were two 81:18 votes - I caught the second where the bill was passed. Also, immediately following the Senate vote, the House convened to vote and did pass the bill.
Senate Final Vote to Fund the Government After reaching a deal to take up immigration legislation for undocumented migrants who arrived in the U.S. as children, also known as “DREAMers,” the Senate voted 81-18 to end a filibuster of a continuing resolution to fund the government through February 8 Members later voted 81-18 in favor of that same bill, thereby bringing to an end the three-day government shutdown.
https://www.c-span.org/video/?440061-2/ ... ary-8&live

House vote
https://www.c-span.org/video/?440062-10 ... ary-8&live

News tonight Sarah Sanders said the bill passed because Turnip helped pass it.

Also Turtle McConnell said they will look at the immigrant issue but I bet he had his fingers crossed.

TrueTexan wrote:News tonight Sarah Sanders said the bill passed because Turnip helped pass it.
I don't know how she can live with herself.
TrueTexan wrote:Also Turtle McConnell said they will look at the immigrant issue but I bet he had his fingers crossed.
I hope the Dems got something in writing. McConnell can meet the 'look at' and 'vote' statement by literally 'looking at' a piece of paper that says 'immigrant issue' and then voting to get ice cream. :?

Everyone restock your popcorn - we'll be here again in six legislative days. Wheeee...

String the whole lot of them up...what is this like the 3rd, 4th time there's been a shut-down because these b*stards can't agree on anything and want their pet tax Breaks and projects to be put through?
Weak-as-water Dems are helpless/hopeless, Reps giving money away to the 1%ers...come 2020 they all need to go. HRC, Feinstein, McConnell, Ryan and the Great Orange One.
They have made a shambles of Democracy and mocked a number of Foreign Nations and their Leaders.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.

AndyH wrote:News tonight Sarah Sanders said the bill passed because Turnip helped pass it.
Because she's an imp from hell. Remember, Spicer was LOUSY at the job because he was lying, knew he was lying, knew we knew he was lying, and hated himself for lying. Hence his raging.

But SHS has no conscience, is perfectly happy lying and reversing herself, and if you want to see a spewing shithole, just look at her mouth.

Thus, she's far, FAR better at the job than Spicey ever could be.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote:
AndyH wrote:News tonight Sarah Sanders said the bill passed because Turnip helped pass it.
Because she's an imp from hell. Remember, Spicer was LOUSY at the job because he was lying, knew he was lying, knew we knew he was lying, and hated himself for lying. Hence his raging.

But SHS has no conscience, is perfectly happy lying and reversing herself, and if you want to see a spewing shithole, just look at her mouth.

Thus, she's far, FAR better at the job than Spicey ever could be.

I'd take 100 Spiceys over Goebbels Miss Piggy any day (actually, Miller is more of the Goebbels, so I don't know who the hell she is).
No, really, I own a bunch of guns and I'm a sane moderate

I bet this thread will reappear active on February 8th.

CHIP funding was extended for six years. So now all we have to see is the DACA and immigrantsion worked out.
In May of last year, President Donald Trump said, "our country needs a shutdown." Over the weekend he got his wish. After a tumultuous couple of weeks in which the president said he would agree to a clean DACA bill "of love" and then ranted about not wanting any more immigration from "shithole" countries, the Republican House majority voted for a stopgap spending measure to keep the government funded. But the Republican Senate couldn't muster more than 51 votes and it needed 60.

As I write this, all non-essential government services are closed and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell is promising a vote on DACA if Democrats agree to a stopgap measure lasting until Feb. 8. He has scheduled a vote for noon on Monday. Of course they've been kicking this can down the road for months. McConnell promised the same thing in December and never delivered the DACA vote, but maybe he really means it this time.
The video in the article show what the Reptillan stance is on immigrantion.

https://www.alternet.org/news-amp-polit ... -daca-deal

The group of Turnip, Miller, Cotton, and Sessions will do everything in their grasp to keep from passing a DACA relief bill.

The only way Turnip could be swayed is to deny his use of the H2b Haitian visa holders working at Mar-a-lago.