Turnip approves import fees on foreign solar panels.

For the past five years, the solar industry in the United States has boomed, becoming a reliable employment engine and giving hope to policymakers seeking to stave off the worst effects of climate change.

But late Monday afternoon, President Donald Trump approved import fees that analysts say will send the price of solar panels surging and halt hiring in an industry that has grown 17 times faster than the U.S. economy.

“It’s political fodder to make the United States look like it’s tough on China, and it’s protecting American jobs,” Noah Ginsburg, a director at a New York-based nonprofit that helps low-income communities install solar panels, told HuffPost. “But the reality on the ground is deploying these tariffs will destroy American jobs and negatively impact anyone who wants to participate in and benefit from clean energy.”

Solar companies created 1 in 50 new jobs in the U.S. in 2016, with the help of imported solar panels that drastically reduced prices. (The Solar Foundation projects that number will be even higher for 2017; its report on last year’s figures is due out in a few weeks.) Most of those jobs are at companies that install solar panels on rooftops and build large solar farms for utilities and big corporations.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tr ... mg00000009

So lose jobs to protect jobs. I think it would help the energy business by putting the same percent fees on oil imports, that would stimulate job growth.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: Turnip approves import fees on foreign solar panels.

featureless wrote:What a fuck. The only reason he targeted solar is because it is renewable energy. It has nothing to do with being tough on China. Fuckin cock gobbler.
Renewable energy competes with fossil fuels (oil, coal and natural gas). He's just taking care of his buddies in the fossil fuel industries.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Duties and tariffs are nothing but a regressive tax paid for by working and middle class folks. Chinese solar panel manufacturing took YEARS to get cheaper than American-made panels, and now they are. Trump would tell us that it's because they underpay their workers, and that's true...but how did they go from non-competitive to far cheaper if they didn't introduce efficiencies of production?

Of course, since he's disparaged solar and wind in favor of coal and nukes, it's clear he wants to kill the solar impetus in the US.

And I thought it was impossible to have a worse President than George W. Bush! Naive me!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Our LG has lasted as long as both the Kenmore/Whirlpool, and Maytag before it. The Maytag Neptune was almost as big a piece of crap as Trump. When it broke, it was out of warranty, and the cost of repair was basically lift off the sheet metal and slide a new washer under it.
Our first Whirlpool was awesome but we had to leave it with the house we sold....Damn!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote:Duties and tariffs are nothing but a regressive tax paid for by working and middle class folks. Chinese solar panel manufacturing took YEARS to get cheaper than American-made panels, and now they are. Trump would tell us that it's because they underpay their workers, and that's true...but how did they go from non-competitive to far cheaper if they didn't introduce efficiencies of production?

Of course, since he's disparaged solar and wind in favor of coal and nukes, it's clear he wants to kill the solar impetus in the US.

And I thought it was impossible to have a worse President than George W. Bush! Naive me!
Agree. FDT.
Led by the oil and gas industry, this sector regularly pumps the vast majority of its campaign contributions into Republican coffers. Even as other traditionally GOP-inclined industries have shifted somewhat to the left, this sector has remained rock-solid red.

Since the 1990 election cycle, more than two-thirds of this sector's contributions to candidates and party committees has gone to Republicans.
https://www.opensecrets.org/industries/ ... hp?ind=E01

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

highdesert wrote:
featureless wrote:What a fuck. The only reason he targeted solar is because it is renewable energy. It has nothing to do with being tough on China. Fuckin cock gobbler.
Renewable energy competes with fossil fuels (oil, coal and natural gas). He's just taking care of his buddies in the fossil fuel industries.
Of course. So let's do our best to kill the economies response to reducing CO2 emissions by, once again, skewing the equation in favor of dino fuels. This guy is the biggest threat to global security the world has known in a long time. If we do not sufficiently lower our collective carbon footprint like 50 years ago, we're dooming our children's' generation to hell on Earth. His assaults on social issues are appalling but his assaults on environmental progress, such as we've made, will be devastating to all. Even the rich will get clobbered up side the head by the social disruptions. Worried about immigrants? You aint seen nuthin yet. :angry:

featureless wrote:
highdesert wrote:
Of course. So let's do our best to kill the economies response to reducing CO2 emissions by, once again, skewing the equation in favor of dino fuels. This guy is the biggest threat to global security the world has known in a long time. If we do not sufficiently lower our collective carbon footprint like 50 years ago, we're dooming our children's' generation to hell on Earth. His assaults on social issues are appalling but his assaults on environmental progress, such as we've made, will be devastating to all. Even the rich will get clobbered up side the head by the social disruptions. Worried about immigrants? You aint seen nuthin yet. :angry:
Imagine how much worse it would be if this asshole was actually COMPETENT! His BEST quality is his incompetence and inability to actually get stuff done.

Wino wrote:Throw in washing machines, too. New tariff 20-50% from what I read. Anyone wanna guess who pays for that increase? LOL

FDT
What’s intersting, we have a Kenmore brand washer and dryer we bought years ago. Guess who made it, LG. The last American made Kenmore washer we had, I had to replace the mechanical timer every two years.

Wonder when he will want to impose a tariff to protect American made TVs :D
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

I can get 4500 watts from Amazon for $4800 right now. I think I'm gonna buy the panels and build the rest of the system as I have time. Just a fuck you right back. You assholes (Trumpistas, not my local like minded assholes:-)) were the final push for me to go solar on my house. My boats and campers have been solar for nearly two decades.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Oddly, Al Gore has come out in defense of the tariff. Plus, it only extends out to 4 (or 5) years. Two US-based mfg'ers had petitioned for the tariffs before Trump got in office. It's tough to compete against gov't subsidized exporters in China. So it will hurt some companies, and help others. Damn Americans can't get anything cheap enough. LOL!

http://fortune.com/2018/01/25/al-gore-d ... l-tariffs/
"Only voluntary, inspired self-restraint can raise man above the world stream of materialism. Our lives will have to change if we want to save life from self-destruction." ~ Alexander Solzhenitzyn