Trump says he'll support ending federal ban on marijuana

President Trump said he likely will support a congressional effort to end the federal ban on marijuana, a major step that would reshape the pot industry and end the threat of a Justice Department crackdown. Trump’s remarks put him sharply at odds with Atty. Gen. Jeff Sessions on the issue. The bill in question, pushed by a bipartisan coalition, would allow states to go forward with legalization unencumbered by threats of federal prosecution.

Trump made his comments to a gaggle of reporters Friday morning just before he boarded a helicopter on his way to the G-7 summit in Canada. His remarks came the day after the bipartisan group of lawmakers proposed their measure. One of the lead sponsors is Sen. Cory Gardner (R-Colo.), who is aligned with Trump on several issues but recently has tangled with the administration over the Justice Department’s threatened crackdowns on marijuana. “I support Sen. Gardner,” Trump said when asked about the bill. “I know exactly what he’s doing. We’re looking at it. But I probably will end up supporting that, yes.”

The legislative proposal, which is also championed by Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), would reshape the legal landscape for marijuana. California and eight other states, as well as Washington, D.C., have legalized all adult use of marijuana. An additional 20 states permit marijuana for medical use.

But even as states legalize, marijuana has remained a risky and unstable business because of federal law making it illegal. Concerns about federal law enforcement seizures have inhibited most lenders from working with marijuana businesses. And investors have also proceeded cautiously. A lifting of the federal prohibition would bolster efforts to create uniform testing and regulatory standards for marijuana, and potentially free scientists to pursue research into the medical uses of marijuana.

Trump said he is likely to support the federal legalization effort despite a warning against it from the coalition of narcotics officer groups. “We urge you to see through the smoke screen and reject attempts to encourage more drug use in America,” they wrote in a letter to Trump Thursday.
http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-p ... story.html
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: Trump says he'll support ending federal ban on marijuana

Hmmmm......could he be cultivating the Hipster and Millinial vote for 2020?
He'll curtainly get a hard pushback from Big Pharm unless they wise up as THC, has many proven benifits and applications.
DougMasters wrote:Well gee Trump that's mighty nice of you to get on board so late in the game and likely with an alterior political motive in mind that you are likely to back out of anyway depending on what day it is.
Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.

MaxwellG wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:25 pm Hmmmm......could he be cultivating the Hipster and Millinial vote for 2020?
He'll curtainly get a hard pushback from Big Pharm unless they wise up as THC, has many proven benifits and applications.
DougMasters wrote:Well gee Trump that's mighty nice of you to get on board so late in the game and likely with an alterior political motive in mind that you are likely to back out of anyway depending on what day it is.
Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
There is, in my opinion, some risk that millenials and hipsters aren't sure things for democrats.

A.) I just don't think they are as liberal as the democrat political machine banks on
B.) Even a chunk of them that are more lefty, I think are too disenfranchised with the democrats.

So you may be right. He may be thinking of it that way

Ill be honest. I kinda hope he wins again. I think the only way ill get a viable "lefty" party candidate to vote for is if the democrats lose so hard for so long that they need a rebrabding and a second coming. Think a Newt Gingrich, but for democrats, and less of an asshole.

I'm not sure how that's at odd with Jeff Sessions. Sessions is only enforcing the laws as they are written rather then ignore them when convenient. Congress should change the law if that's what they want and then Sessions will go on and enforce other laws as written. That's the way it's supposed to work, right? Sessions won't stop with opioids just because pot gets legalized at a federal level. Because they'll still be illegal.

Maybe the pardons people are talking about and relaxing the drug laws are related. We should legalize it and clear the prisons of non-violent drug offenders who 3 striked into life sentences for pot.

It shows how partisan people have gotten when they finally get what they've been asking for decades in a bipartisan manner and they still complain about it. No don't take away our wedge issue, we need it to win elections. :wacko: If the Dems did the same thing on their side with guns, I'd be happy. I might not even mind some of the nuttier ones if they gave up their anti-2A positions. Almost the Dems in my state up until the last 10 years or so were strongly pro 2A.
Brian

Even though I would love to see that happen I really don’t see Turnip doing that. There is to much lobbying against it by Big Pharma. DEA, Law Enforcement and much of his Evangelical base. Also Law Enforcement and DEA would lose their big share of Asset Forfeiture.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Like most anything that comes out of Trumps mouth, I'll believe it when it passes. It would pretty much end the debate if it managed to pass in this current toxic environment at least. Perhaps we wouldn't be worrying about it being reversed by the next .pres for the next 20 years if it did go this way.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

All he said is that he might support bipartisan legislation if there was some. It's just another, "we'll see what happens." I don't know why anyone listens to him at this point. If he stays on point for more than ten minutes and doesn't reverse himself in a tweet ten minutes after that, I'll pay attention.
Whatever I said above, just pretend I included the obligatory “both sides,” especially if I said something mean about Trump (don’t want to hurt any feelings).

www.schayden.com

Greengunner wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:27 pm All he said is that he might support bipartisan legislation if there was some. It's just another, "we'll see what happens." I don't know why anyone listens to him at this point. If he stays on point for more than ten minutes and doesn't reverse himself in a tweet ten minutes after that, I'll pay attention.
Exactly.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

News from the WHO Marijuana is a relatively safe drug.
The World Health Organization met in Geneva, Switzerland, this week to review a first-of-its-kind report on the health and safety of cannabis, and President Donald Trump’s Justice Department will almost certainly not be thrilled with the report’s finding that marijuana is a “relatively safe drug.”

The report, compiled by a team of international cannabis experts and presented to the Expert Committee on Drug Dependence, is the first of many steps by the WHO to ultimately deliver a recommendation to the UN secretary-general on the “need for and level of international control” of cannabis, which could have a major impact on marijuana legislation internationally. Cannabis is currently classified under the same category as heroin and cocaine.

“If the scheduling of cannabis changes at an international level, there’s nothing that will happen immediately,” says Steph Sherer, executive director of Americans for Safe Access, a cannabis advocacy group. Sherer also testified at the committee meeting this week. She told Mother Jones, however, that a scheduling change would indicate “a global openness to utilizing cannabis therapeutics in natural health strategies.”

By contrast, Attorney General Jeff Sessions has come down hard on marijuana, calling it nearly as harmful as heroin and “a very real danger.” Most infamously, he once said, “good people don’t smoke marijuana.” Sessions has also pledged to crack down on cannabis businesses and farms in states where cannabis is legal, but in April, Trump walked back those threats, promising his administration would not interfere with states’ rights. Trump now says he would support a congressional effort to end the federal ban on marijuana.

Countries like Australia, Chile, Germany, Israel, Peru, and the Netherlands have already legalized the use of medical marijuana, and on Thursday, Canada’s Senate voted to legalize recreational cannabis. More than half of American states allow marijuana for medical use.
According to the report there are some side effects from the THC component.
THC can provoke “conceptual disorganization, fragmented thinking, suspiciousness, paranoid and grandiose delusions, and perceptual distortions,” though all are temporary, according to the report (and anyone who has lived through the ’70s).
Now that explains the Orange Stain behaviors and why he has the munchies for junk food.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/20 ... na-review/

The DOJ’s House Elf is not going to be happy with this report since his believes on marijuana all comes from Reefer Madness.
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

DougMasters wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:03 am
CDFingers wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:00 am I think he sees legalization as a source of tax revenue.

CDFingers
I'm surprised that motivation hasn't caused this to happen sooner.

However, unless uncle sam wants to enact universal healthcare and expand the welfare programs to those who need it, I don't want to give them any more tax dollars.

Let the weed taxes go to the states I say
Let there be limits on how it can be spen. Like only for the benefit of the people not just the rich and corporations. In Texas the Reptilians especially the Three Stooges in Austin would give more tax breaks to Big Oil and other corporations and to hell with the people. Let the taxes go to infrastructure and education for the people. Do things like actually support colleges so tuitions and fees can be lowered so more people can afford to go to college. More money to public education, but not to athletics or fancy football stadiums.

TrueTexan wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:44 pm
DougMasters wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:03 am
CDFingers wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:00 am I think he sees legalization as a source of tax revenue.

CDFingers
I'm surprised that motivation hasn't caused this to happen sooner.

However, unless uncle sam wants to enact universal healthcare and expand the welfare programs to those who need it, I don't want to give them any more tax dollars.

Let the weed taxes go to the states I say
Let there be limits on how it can be spen. Like only for the benefit of the people not just the rich and corporations. In Texas the Reptilians especially the Three Stooges in Austin would give more tax breaks to Big Oil and other corporations and to hell with the people. Let the taxes go to infrastructure and education for the people. Do things like actually support colleges so tuitions and fees can be lowered so more people can afford to go to college. More money to public education, but not to athletics or fancy football stadiums.
I agree. I just don't trust the federal government to stipulate and stick to those limits.

We have issues here in AZ where money like this goes to the general fund only to get robbed. Getting pur legislature to purpose money properly is already like pulling teeth. To get uncle sam to do it would be like pulling spine

DougMasters wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:20 pm
I agree. I just don't trust the federal government to stipulate and stick to those limits.

We have issues here in AZ where money like this goes to the general fund only to get robbed. Getting pur legislature to purpose money properly is already like pulling teeth. To get uncle sam to do it would be like pulling spine
The current Feds would give it to the DOD for new toys like the B-21 or DEA to make up for the loss of money under Asset Forfeiture. They definitely would not put that tax money into any social program helping people that need it.