Re: Another Allegation Has Surfaced Against Kavanaugh

https://www.vox.com/2018/9/27/17912102/ ... etter-leak
Here's about the best timeline/story on leakage that Google will bring up after brief review (I'm sure there are better sources).
So, it it wasn't DiFi's office, it was Ford's friends? Ok, that makes a lot of sense. Point remains, it should have been privately investigated. Otherwise, what was the point of the letter again? That's not Fox News speak, that's taking action on a sexual assault accusation while protecting the victim. That wasn't done, so, shit show at substantial damage to Ford.

featureless wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:27 pm https://www.vox.com/2018/9/27/17912102/ ... etter-leak
Here's about the best timeline/story on leakage that Google will bring up after brief review (I'm sure there are better sources).
So, it it wasn't DiFi's office, it was Ford's friends? Ok, that makes a lot of sense. Point remains, it should have been privately investigated. Otherwise, what was the point of the letter again? That's not Fox News speak, that's taking action on a sexual assault accusation while protecting the victim. That wasn't done, so, shit show at substantial damage to Ford.
To have a regular civilian investigation, there needs to be probable cause and enough evidence to work with. The Repubs say there wasn't enough and the Dems say there was - but neither of those matter. In order to have any impact on the point of this - the confirmation - handing it to the FBI or another agency for a proper six month investigation would leave us in the same place - Kavanaugh on the bench and an investigation that looks even more like a politically-motivated attack than the hearing. Dr. Ford came forward to be heard about Kavanaugh - and it was her call when that happened. The mission wan't to have the FBI conduct a six month investigation. The Dems didn't have much to work with and Dr. Ford did what she could. I feel really badly for her. I feel badly for the Dems as well. But dammit - sitting around the mouse circle and patting each other on the back for being proper, upstanding, mice still means the house is getting bulldozed in the morning.

ETA...the vote hasn't happened yet - I still hope there are enough people in the Senate wiling to do what's right. We haven't lost yet.

ETAsomethingelse... The Dems could use a dozen or so Barbara Jordans, maybe.
https://www.texasstandard.org/stories/i ... -a-legacy/

AndyH wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:40 pm
featureless wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:27 pm https://www.vox.com/2018/9/27/17912102/ ... etter-leak
To have a regular civilian investigation, there needs to be probable cause and enough evidence to work with. The Repubs say there wasn't enough and the Dems say there was - but neither of those matter. In order to have any impact on the point of this - the confirmation - handing it to the FBI or another agency for a proper six month investigation would leave us in the same place - Kavanaugh on the bench and an investigation that looks even more like a politically-motivated attack than the hearing. Dr. Ford came forward to be heard about Kavanaugh - and it was her call when that happened. The mission wan't to have the FBI conduct a six month investigation. The Dems didn't have much to work with and Dr. Ford did what she could. I feel really badly for her. I feel badly for the Dems as well. But dammit - sitting around the mouse circle and patting each other on the back for being proper, upstanding, mice still means the house is getting bulldozed in the morning.
Thanks for this, Andy. It actually makes me feel better.

I wasn't referring to a civilian investigation, a private investigation would have given us more that than we had. One central problem with this was that there wasn't enough to investigate under standard civilian process. Thus the optic is of political smear. More information could have softened that.

I posted elsewhere (or earlier) that I think the best outcome of this would be for the current nominee to be put aside and a new nominee picked (can't say they'd be better or worse, just less tainted by process). Not going to happen, of course. There is no way this process won't skew his views going forward (guilty or innocent). While the common theme here (and across the demosphere) is that he's an asshole, I still don't like the process we're witnessing. It's similar to the Clinton scandal where we forgave his transgressions of lying about a blow job (which, between two consenting adults is none of our fucking business), while the other party impeached him over it. There is no path to commonality here, only further separation and I find that frightening.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda. I should probably quit this thread.
Last edited by featureless on Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flake and Collins are already making noises that they think they have cover to approve the Bratt. I expect Collins can kiss her seat goodbye in 2 years.
I'm getting sick of Republicans pretending to still be human when it's clear they are the blue-eyed zombies of Game of Thrones.

Imagine Roy Moore on the SCOTUS--the Bratt is just a smarter version.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

There is only one copy of the FBI report available to Senators to read.
West Virginia Sen. Joe Manchin (D) didn’t get to read the full FBI report on Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, he said on Thursday.

Manchin said he didn’t know whether or not he’d be supporting Kavanaugh and would determine his opinion after reading the document. He told reporters that he probably must come back Friday and keep reading the document after Republicans are finished.

“Undecided Dem Sen Manchin tells reporters he has been ‘thrown out’ of the room where he’d been reading the only copy of the FBI report because it was the ‘Republicans’ turn’ to read it,” tweeted McClatchy reporter Emma Dumain. “He says he has to come back tomorrow to finish, then will make a decision on Kavanaugh.”

Manchin is running for reelection this year, but polls put him 12 points ahead of his Republican opponent.

After several questions from MSNBC reporters, he said that senators only get about an hour to review 1,000-plus pages.
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/10/sen-jo ... gh-report/

This whole POS from Turtle is BS theater. Turtle is going to ram this POS through no matter what the final results will be on our country. This is nothing more than revenge politics by the Turtle and the Reptilians. They feel they have to do everything they can to destroy every little trace of any action of Clinton’s and Obama’s Presidency.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

"Cui bono?" - who benefits?

Ford's friends and perhaps some of those she contacted for advice could have leaked it, perhaps not intentionally but a spouse or partner. IIRC Ford said in her testimony that she decided to go public when a reporter showed up in her classroom at Stanford University. Don't know if there was a "strategy" behind the leak or if it was just impulsive. If some Democrats knowing they would lose the vote on Kavanaugh thought they could energize Democratic voters, it might have energized Republican voters even more.

Nate Silver at 538: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/is ... m-chances/
Last edited by highdesert on Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Oren Hatch shows what the Reptilians really think about women.
U.S. Senator Orrin Hatch (R-UT), like many Republicans in the Senate today, was confronted by a group of women, including rape survivors.

The women, who are trying to convince Republicans to vote against Judge Brett Kavanaugh, challenged Hatch. At 84 years old Sen. Hatch is the longest-serving Republican Senator in the history of the U.S., and as the President pro tempore of the Senate is the second-highest ranking member of the body.

“Why aren’t you brave enough to talk to us and exchange with us?” one of the women asked, as The Hill reports. Senator Hatch waved her off with his hand dismissively.

“Don’t you wave your hand at me!” she responded.

As the Utah Senator who has steadfastly defended Kavanaugh walked into the elevator – where the activists are not allowed – he told them, “When you grow up I’ll be glad to.”

“How dare you talk to women that way?” one of the protestors charged.

Once inside, Sen. Hatch waved goodbye condescendingly to the women.
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/10/watch- ... ells-grow/
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Arrests at today's protest. We need to take our buildings back.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cancel-kav ... 018-10-04/
Protesters opposed to Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh took over a Senate office building on Thursday, with actresses Amy Schumer and Emily Ratajkowski among the demonstrators detained. The Senate will hold a procedural vote on Kavanaugh's nomination on Friday, setting in motion a possible final vote on Saturday.

New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand addressed protesters, telling them, "This is a moment about all of you — all of you are speaking truth to power because you care about the future, you care about our children, you care about who is leading this country and who sits on the highest court in the land."

Capitol police said about 300 people were detained. In a video shared widely on Twitter, Schumer said "I think we're going to get arrested."
https://twitter.com/Theboldtype_z/statu ... 38/video/1

featureless wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:26 pm
AndyH wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:54 pm Arrests at today's protest.
Proper protesting!
Utterly useless and ineffective protesting, if you ask me. Protesting hasn't worked in this country since the 60's. The politicians have learned that their supporters are not swayed by protests, so they don't have to pay attention.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

AndyH wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:49 am Today's the day...unless it's not. Reports so far are that the votes aren't there to confirm Judge Kegger. Fingers crossed.
I'm not holding my breath. It'll be a party line vote all republicans onboard plus dems that have election issues. I'm skeptical the democrats can hold the party line.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, in a bid to win over wavering Republican senators on the eve of a crucial vote to advance his confirmation, acknowledged Thursday that he “might have been too emotional” when testifying about sexual misconduct allegations. The 53-year-old judge said in an op-ed that he knows his “tone was sharp,” adding, “I said a few things I should not have said” during testimony last week to the Senate Judiciary Committee. He forcefully denied the allegations.

“Going forward, you can count on me to be the same kind of judge and person I have been for my entire 28-year legal career: hardworking, even-keeled, open-minded, independent and dedicated to the Constitution and the public good,” he wrote in the Wall Street Journal. Kavanaugh's opinion piece appeared aimed at winning over the three GOP senators who remained undecided as of Thursday.

He got an additional boost late Thursday from President Trump, who praised his nominee's “incredible intellect” during a campaign rally in Minnesota, and scoffed at detractors. Trump said the protesters and “their rage-fueled resistance is starting to backfire at a level nobody has ever seen before.” He was referring to polling that shows some improvement for Republicans heading into the midterm election.
http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-p ... story.html
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

featureless wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:45 am
AndyH wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:49 am Today's the day...unless it's not. Reports so far are that the votes aren't there to confirm Judge Kegger. Fingers crossed.
Yes, fingers crossed (despite my contrary positions on process). Turtle was making my skin crawl on the radio this morning.
Turtle makes my skin crawl anytime I see or Hear him.

Seems that Anti-Kavanaugh signs are illegal in Texas.
A Texas woman is under fire for posting a sign in her yard depicting a GOP symbol sexually assaulting a girl.

As Dallas News reports, Marion Stanford put up a sign in her yard that shows a GOP elephant symbol shoving its trunk under the skirt of a girl who says “help.”

“Your vote matters,” the sign asserts.

The poster is a reference to the allegations of sexual assault brought against Judge Brett Kavanaugh, as the Senate moves to confirm his nomination to the Supreme Court.

As Dallas News reports, Stanford expected the sign to stir up controversy. She did not expect to be attacked by lawmakers and have her sign taken by police

“Here we have a political party that is using women,” Stanford told Dallas News. “I thought the sign represented what is going on now, and we can’t just stand quiet. I wanted to tell people we could stop it with voting.”

On Facebook, Sid Miller, a Republican agriculture commissioner, called her out and suggested that the sign pictured Kavanaugh’s daughter.

‘This is in Hamilton, Texas and is supposed to be Judge Kavanaugh’s young daughter,” he wrote. “Notice my opponent’s sign in the background. The Democrat sleaze knows NO bounds!”

But Stanford contends that the poster does not depict Kavanaugh’s daughter. There is no indication that the picture shows anything but a girl in pigtails.

Yet, following complaints police confiscated the sign.

“Police told me to remove the sign or they would take it and would arrest me,” Stanford said. “So I let them take the sign.”

She’s also gotten threatening phone calls and messages.

According to legal experts, law enforcement’s confiscation of the sign violates Stanford’s first amendment rights.

“There is no basis I can see for removing the sign,” said Southern Methodist University law professor and First Amendment expert Dale Carpenter. “It’s not obscene, and no court would find it to be. You can say it’s offensive or distasteful, but that’s protected under the Constitution.”
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/10/texas- ... -facebook/

Where that happened, I'm surprised she didn't get a visit from the local klan or other right wing group. What we can expect to see more of if Kavanaugh is seated and the Reptilians win in November.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/steve-dain ... if-needed/
Sen. Steve Daines says he'll return to Washington D.C. by private jet on his daughter's wedding day if his vote is needed to confirm Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court.

The Montana Republican said in a statement to The Associated Press that his Republican colleague, Montana congressman Greg Gianforte, "has come to save the day" by offering him use of his private jet. Gianforte is one of the wealthiest members of Congress.

Daines' daughter is getting married in Montana on Saturday, when the Senate is expected to hold a final vote on Kavanaugh.

In a statement posted to Twitter by his press secretary, Daines said that "if I need to be in two places at once," Gianforte will allow him to borrow his plane. This would not be at taxpayer expense.

Bardo wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:46 pm Flake is a phony turd. Manchin needs to lose his DNC support. Issues like these are not "reaching across the isle" youre plain out NOT a democrat and do not deserve that distinction.
"But if I lose my seat I can't vote on all the important issues we need to get done!"

And what is more important than this? You'll vote "Yes", seat the Bratt--and then lose ANYWAY! Of course he could switch to Rethug as he's a DINO 99% of the time.

Besides, Heidi Heitkamp as soon as she announced was voting "NO" had a HUGE influx of donations into her campaign.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."