George H W Bush dead at 94

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/pr ... 94-n942536
George H.W. Bush, who in one term as president reasserted the U.S. as the world's lone superpower, rallying an international coalition against Iraq's Saddam Hussein in the first Gulf War and presiding over the fall of the Berlin Wall and subsequent collapse of the Soviet Union, died on Friday. He was 94.

The announcement of his passing was made in a statement by his son, former President George W. Bush.

"Jeb, Neil, Marvin, Doro and I are saddened to announced that after 94 remarkable years, our dear Dad has died," his son said in a statement released Friday night.
He was the first president I ever voted for.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Re: George H W Bush dead at 94

Like his son, he started a war for oil with Iraq that we didn’t have to fight.
He banned people with HIV from entering the country.
Favored abstinence education over sex ed while watching over 100,000 die of AIDS on his watch.
Busted unions, encouraged crony capitalism, war on drugs, massive incarceration of black people.
Invaded Panama for....?

So this is one of the old school Republicans that we are supposed to look back on with nostalgia?
Even with things as bad as they are, I think not...

Not much love here for GHWB, but he was probably best of the Bush men bunch. What I read this morning as the Official White House statement about his death almost had me rolling in the floor laughing - https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/do ... 6a15b55fd7 - anyone besides me believe DJT had not one word of input into the Official statement?? Too many yuge words for our POTUS plus flowery to even consider it came from his mind.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Voted fer him....voted against him 4 years later. I probably am more disgusted with Bill Clinton than I was with '41. This was the beginning of "No Choice - Vote for Elephant shit or Donkey Shit"....well, actually Reagan was the beginning of that. :thumbsdown:

I feel for the Family and my condolences go out to them. RIP, '41.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

HuckleberryFun wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:11 am Like his son, he started a war for oil with Iraq that we didn’t have to fight.
He banned people with HIV from entering the country.
Favored abstinence education over sex ed while watching over 100,000 die of AIDS on his watch.
Busted unions, encouraged crony capitalism, war on drugs, massive incarceration of black people.
Invaded Panama for....?

So this is one of the old school Republicans that we are supposed to look back on with nostalgia?
Even with things as bad as they are, I think not...
Pretty much this, though I'd take him over what we have now in a heart beat.
Whatever I said above, just pretend I included the obligatory “both sides,” especially if I said something mean about Trump (don’t want to hurt any feelings).

www.schayden.com

He has been and done some bad things...but there were a few good moments like standing up to the NRA and resigning his Life Membership when they made that statement about the FBI being
“armed terrorists dressed in Ninja black … jack-booted thugs armed to the teeth who break down doors, open fire with automatic weapons and kill law-abiding citizens.”
He at least has some character unlike our Orange Monster in office who has no Moral Compass, honor or decency. His progeny however are a poor reflection on him.
He ended his political career with the "Read my lips, no new taxes". RIP 41st.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.

Never voted for him. A neocon's neocon. I saw first hand the way his policies pushed under Reagan and carried out in his own administration destroyed El Salvador, prolonged the war there and fed the misery of millions - something that Salvadorans have never recovered from even after 26 years. I marvel at the longevity of some fairly evil neocons and war criminals - and I do count him as a war criminal along with Kissinger (another long-lived SOB). I certainly won't shed a tear at his passing and I dread the upcoming week of platitudes from liberals with short memories. I think I will need to turn off NPR until this runs its course.

41 probably did some good things, I just can't think of them right now. The first Iraq War to save his friends the Kuwaiti's along with his invasion of Panama are what I remember and not positively. He started the Bush Family Dysentery (dynasty) and nothing positive comes to mind about them except sewage.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

joemac wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:53 am I also think there will be plenty of RIP and condolences from liberals in 20 years when Donald Trump kicks from old age in some guilded penthouse somewhere.
Not from me, though I may sport one of those, "I don't really care" jackets.
Whatever I said above, just pretend I included the obligatory “both sides,” especially if I said something mean about Trump (don’t want to hurt any feelings).

www.schayden.com

VodoundaVinci wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:27 am Voted fer him....voted against him 4 years later.
Same here. I voted for him in 1988 because prior to being VP he'd been quite liberal as Republicans go, and in his campaign he made it sound like he might turn back to that now that he was out of Reagan's shadow. He said he wanted to be the "environment President" and "education President". Instead he became the "overthrow Panama President" and completely ignored his campaign promises. Turned me off politicians so fast that I voted Perot in 1992. ("Slick Willie" Clinton was obviously a sleazeball to me, and the Lewinsky affair proved me right.)

Still, of all the Presidents in my lifetime, he seemed to have the most honor (after Carter), and I'd much prefer him to the crowd we have today.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

The only hard-working Republican President in the last 40 years. The only one who tried to gather facts to make an informed decision. The rest are lazy, intellectually lazy, bums, including St. Ronnie. Bush busted his ass unlike Raygun, dubya, or the lazy shit stain. I didn't like all of his decisions, but at least he did his damnedest to do the right thing. I always respected him for that, and for making it clear he detested the shit-stain.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Eris wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:34 pm
VodoundaVinci wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:27 am Voted fer him....voted against him 4 years later.
Still, of all the Presidents in my lifetime, he seemed to have the most honor (after Carter), and I'd much prefer him to the crowd we have today.
Yer my new Best Friend. The guy served his country and rode a failed dive bomber into the water to be picked up by a submarine. Dude was in combat and survived that to go on and serve his country again. Balls. We don't see that anymore.

Perfect he was far from (like I can pass that test) but he had a degree of integrity and walked the walk even for a filthy rich kid. We will not likely see his kind again. :no:

I'd put him against The Orange Stain if the playing field was level. Which it isn't and never will be again.

RIP '41. I had high hopes for ya but..well, that "No new taxes" BS and then to coordinate with Democrats to increase new taxes...yer out. :yes:

Still. I am sad to see his kind pass. What comes after is pathetic.

VooDoo

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

President Donald Trump and wife Melania will attend the funeral of former President George H. W. Bush at the National Cathedral in Washington, the White House said in a statement. “The President will designate Wednesday, December 5th as a National Day Of Mourning. He and the First Lady will attend the funeral at the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C.” White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said in a statement.
Bush, the longest-living president in U.S. history, died at his home in Houston late Friday night, aged 94. In his one term in the White House he fashioned a restrained response to the Soviet Union’s collapse and assembled the multinational coalition that liberated Kuwait from an Iraqi invasion.

Details of the official schedule for Bush’s state funeral in Houston, Washington, and College Station, Texas, are being reviewed by the President’s family, the Department of Defense said in a statement on its website.
State funerals are seven to 10-day events consisting of three stages, starting with ceremonies within the state in which the honoree resided, continuing in the nation’s capital, and ending where the individual has chosen to be interred.
In a 2016 interview, the elder Bush said of Trump, “I don’t know much about him, but I know he’s a blowhard. And I’m not too excited about him being a leader.” In 2017’s “The Last Republicans,” author Mark Updegrove wrote that Bush, a quintessential Republican, had voted for Democrat Hillary Clinton in 2016. Barbara Bush told CBS in an interview in 2016 that “I don’t know how women can vote” for Trump, based on his comments about women.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... e-h-w-bush
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

joemac wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:53 am I also think there will be plenty of RIP and condolences from liberals in 20 years when Donald Trump kicks from old age in some guilded jailhouse somewhere.
Highly fuckin unlikely from this lib!
I hope we don't have to wait 20 years for the Orange shit stain to keel over.
Fixed your post for you.

Donald Dick is a nasty, mean, belligerent, Oligarch and while I generally owe courtesy to everyone he deserves none. He'd like it that way...I'd piss on his grave in public and it pains me to say it. Fuck Donald Trump.

And the horse he rode in on. His kind will never hold a candle to guys like George Bush who didn't shirk with bone spurs but served and was a combat veteran. RIP George Bush...didn't agree with everything but the man had integrity and some degree of class. I sincerely hope he and Barbie spend the rest of eternity in Peace.

VooDoo

I reeely, reeely, I mean Reeeeeeealy think the world will erupt in dance and jubilation when the Turnip kicks the bucket. Think Saddam and partying Iraqis.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

I wouldn't piss on the Orange shit-stain if he was on fire.

The only nice thing I have to say about Ronald Reagan is that when he learned he was in the early stages of Alzheimer's, his letter graciously retiring from public life was his finest moment.
But Reagan was the first modern candidate to use mockery and sarcasm to avoid answering a real question: "There you go again!" he said to Jimmy Carter to cover up his bullshit.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Letter of resignation sent by former President George Bush to the National Rifle Association: May 3, 1995
Dear Mr. Washington,

I was outraged when, even in the wake of the Oklahoma City tragedy, Mr. Wayne LaPierre, executive vice president of N.R.A., defended his attack on federal agents as "jack-booted thugs." To attack Secret Service agents or A.T.F. people or any government law enforcement people as "wearing Nazi bucket helmets and black storm trooper uniforms" wanting to "attack law abiding citizens" is a vicious slander on good people.

Al Whicher, who served on my [ United States Secret Service ] detail when I was Vice President and President, was killed in Oklahoma City. He was no Nazi. He was a kind man, a loving parent, a man dedicated to serving his country -- and serve it well he did.

In 1993, I attended the wake for A.T.F. agent Steve Willis, another dedicated officer who did his duty. I can assure you that this honorable man, killed by weird cultists, was no Nazi.

John Magaw, who used to head the U.S.S.S. and now heads A.T.F., is one of the most principled, decent men I have ever known. He would be the last to condone the kind of illegal behavior your ugly letter charges. The same is true for the F.B.I.'s able Director Louis Freeh. I appointed Mr. Freeh to the Federal Bench. His integrity and honor are beyond question.

Both John Magaw and Judge Freeh were in office when I was President. They both now serve in the current administration. They both have badges. Neither of them would ever give the government's "go ahead to harass, intimidate, even murder law abiding citizens." (Your words)

I am a gun owner and an avid hunter. Over the years I have agreed with most of N.R.A.'s objectives, particularly your educational and training efforts, and your fundamental stance in favor of owning guns.

However, your broadside against Federal agents deeply offends my own sense of decency and honor; and it offends my concept of service to country. It indirectly slanders a wide array of government law enforcement officials, who are out there, day and night, laying their lives on the line for all of us.

You have not repudiated Mr. LaPierre's unwarranted attack. Therefore, I resign as a Life Member of N.R.A., said resignation to be effective upon your receipt of this letter. Please remove my name from your membership list. Sincerely, [ signed ] George Bush
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:39 pm I wouldn't piss on the Orange shit-stain if he was on fire.
Really? I'd gladly piss on him even if he weren't on fire. I hear he likes it though I doubt he'd pay me for it... I'm not a blond.

But that's OK. I'd piss on him for free. I'm generous that way. :bananadance:

Bisbee wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:43 pm Letter of resignation sent by former President George Bush to the National Rifle Association: May 3, 1995
Dear Mr. Washington,

I was outraged when, even in the wake of the Oklahoma City tragedy, Mr. Wayne LaPierre, executive vice president of N.R.A., defended his attack on federal agents as "jack-booted thugs." To attack Secret Service agents or A.T.F. people or any government law enforcement people as "wearing Nazi bucket helmets and black storm trooper uniforms" wanting to "attack law abiding citizens" is a vicious slander on good people.

Al Whicher, who served on my [ United States Secret Service ] detail when I was Vice President and President, was killed in Oklahoma City. He was no Nazi. He was a kind man, a loving parent, a man dedicated to serving his country -- and serve it well he did.

In 1993, I attended the wake for A.T.F. agent Steve Willis, another dedicated officer who did his duty. I can assure you that this honorable man, killed by weird cultists, was no Nazi.

John Magaw, who used to head the U.S.S.S. and now heads A.T.F., is one of the most principled, decent men I have ever known. He would be the last to condone the kind of illegal behavior your ugly letter charges. The same is true for the F.B.I.'s able Director Louis Freeh. I appointed Mr. Freeh to the Federal Bench. His integrity and honor are beyond question.

Both John Magaw and Judge Freeh were in office when I was President. They both now serve in the current administration. They both have badges. Neither of them would ever give the government's "go ahead to harass, intimidate, even murder law abiding citizens." (Your words)

I am a gun owner and an avid hunter. Over the years I have agreed with most of N.R.A.'s objectives, particularly your educational and training efforts, and your fundamental stance in favor of owning guns.

However, your broadside against Federal agents deeply offends my own sense of decency and honor; and it offends my concept of service to country. It indirectly slanders a wide array of government law enforcement officials, who are out there, day and night, laying their lives on the line for all of us.

You have not repudiated Mr. LaPierre's unwarranted attack. Therefore, I resign as a Life Member of N.R.A., said resignation to be effective upon your receipt of this letter. Please remove my name from your membership list. Sincerely, [ signed ] George Bush
Here's a link to a story about the "Jack Booted Thugs" quote by Lapierre.

http://www.thisdayinquotes.com/2012/04/ ... ooted.html

It includes links to more information on Waco and the Ruby Ridge incidents which were, at least partially, reasons for the statements. I backed Bush's action when he resigned from the NRA. Then did some research into Ruby Ridge and Waco ("Waco, the Rules of Engagement" is an excellent source, the book and documentary, the TV movie is ok) where the ATF did indeed act like jack booted thugs.