Re: Oregon proposed 5 round mag law

Eris wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:01 pm So who in Oregon is going to visit their state legislators *in person* to discuss this? I have to agree with the quotes above from Northwestfirearms.com. As liberal gun owners we have a special responsibility in defending the Second Amendment. We want to defend it and yet we often end up voting for politicians who oppose it so that we can support other issues that are important to us. We all recognize that sending emails and writing letters is not effective, though, in changing the minds of anti-gun legislators, so we need to find better ways of doing so. One way is to go to the legislators office to meet in person, where at the minimum you get to speak to a staffer who is in direct contact with the legislator, and maybe get to speak to the legislator him or herself. That way there's no hiding behind an automated email response - someone has to look another person in the eye and say "I want to take away your rights", which is going to make them uncomfortable, and make them realize that they really do stand a chance of losing public support for their anti-gun positions.

I wish that we could have a formal LGC lobbying day where members get together to go as a group.
So far it's just a senate bill. My state senator and representative will get letters from me along with the governor. A more coordinated action could be possible, but give us time to talk among our selves. This is the first I've even heard of it.

Re: Oregon proposed 5 round mag law

MaxWyatt wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:57 pm
Eris wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:01 pm So who in Oregon is going to visit their state legislators *in person* to discuss this? I have to agree with the quotes above from Northwestfirearms.com. As liberal gun owners we have a special responsibility in defending the Second Amendment. We want to defend it and yet we often end up voting for politicians who oppose it so that we can support other issues that are important to us. We all recognize that sending emails and writing letters is not effective, though, in changing the minds of anti-gun legislators, so we need to find better ways of doing so. One way is to go to the legislators office to meet in person, where at the minimum you get to speak to a staffer who is in direct contact with the legislator, and maybe get to speak to the legislator him or herself. That way there's no hiding behind an automated email response - someone has to look another person in the eye and say "I want to take away your rights", which is going to make them uncomfortable, and make them realize that they really do stand a chance of losing public support for their anti-gun positions.

I wish that we could have a formal LGC lobbying day where members get together to go as a group.
So far it's just a senate bill. My state senator and representative will get letters from me along with the governor. A more coordinated action could be possible, but give us time to talk among our selves. This is the first I've even heard of it.
Theres strength in numbers. So far in this debate the right wing has carried the lions share of the load. If you were a democratic legislator and are confronted by someone who wouldn't vote for you for any reason are you going to listen?