U.S. to hike tariffs on $200 billion worth of Chinese imports: Federal Register

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States will raise tariffs on $200 billion worth of Chinese imports to 25 percent from 10 percent effective on Friday, according to a notice posted to the Federal Register on Wednesday.

The U.S. Trade Representative’s office will establish a process to seek exclusions for certain products from additional tariffs, the Federal Register notice said.

U.S. President Donald Trump said in a tweet that he would be “very happy with over $100 Billion a year in Tariffs filling U.S. coffers.”

His comments followed a Reuters report that quoted U.S. government and private-sector sources as saying China had backtracked on almost all aspects of a draft trade agreement with the United States.

Global equities tumbled toward five-week lows as the escalating trade fight fed worries about the world economy and investors sought the safety of bonds and the Japanese yen, which hit a six-week high against the U.S. dollar.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1SE1N6

Idiot Trump doesn’t realize or just doesn’t give a crap that the tariff are paid by the Americans that have to buy those products and are really just another Tax he dodges.

Buy you MAGA Caps now before the price goes up.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: U.S. to hike tariffs on $200 billion worth of Chinese imports: Federal Register

Well I have to say we all buy to much crap from China. I used to rant about that before Trump got on the scene. To many aged factory's shut down and moved to sparkling new ones in China instead of reinvesting in America. It's a corporate American greed problem. I always wondered about the corporate model in sending all the manufacturing jobs to China. We were sold on the idea America would substitute those jobs for "Tech" jobs. That was Bush and Obama. Does not seem to materialize. Like if all the jobs are at Walmart, who is going to be able to afford a new car or a new house? That said, he is a hypocrite.
I'm always willing to pay more for Made in U.S.A! So, tariff or not I'm going to pay more. And hopefully our great manufacturing industry will come back.
We sit in the mud... and reach for the stars.
Ivan Turgenev

Prevent Suicides Call https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/t ... meone-now/

Re: U.S. to hike tariffs on $200 billion worth of Chinese imports: Federal Register

Bullitt68 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:17 pm Well I have to say we all buy to much crap from China. I used to rant about that before Trump got on the scene. To many aged factory's shut down and moved to sparkling new ones in China instead of reinvesting in America. It's a corporate American greed problem. I always wondered about the corporate model in sending all the manufacturing jobs to China. We were sold on the idea America would substitute those jobs for "Tech" jobs. That was Bush and Obama. Does not seem to materialize. Like if all the jobs are at Walmart, who is going to be able to afford a new car or a new house? That said, he is a hypocrite.
I'm always willing to pay more for Made in U.S.A! So, tariff or not I'm going to pay more. And hopefully our great manufacturing industry will come back.
That has been going on long before we had trade with China. I remember in the 1950s people complaining about stuff Made In Japan and how it was taking our jobs. Starting after WWII Japan exported cheap metal toys to the US. Then cheap plastic toys. That drove many of the old line toy makers out of business. they moved later into electronics such as the pocket transistor radio. Old line names like RCA, Philco, and Motorola ether quit the market or just rebranded TVs made in Japan. They went on to make high end consumer goods like cameras, stereos, VCR and continued to innovate and attract more business. We can blame two Americans for theJapanese success, Douglas MacArthur and Edwards Deming. MacArthur invited Deming to Japan to help rebuild Japanese industries. Deming had been appointed to run the US War Production during WWII and did a job that most thought was impossible. He did that by creating the Deming Method of TQM (Total Quality Management). Even today the Japanese Government awards the Deming Prize. (BTW I was certified as a TQM grad after training by our CEO at the hospital where I worked. Dr. Gonzales PhD had been trained by Deming in TQM.) The Application of TQM gave Japanese companies a huge advantage over American manufacturing. The American companies operated on the Deming system during the war but reverted back to the old management style after the war.. The Chinese have adopted much of the same techniques the Japanese used and that is why we are now buying Made In China goods. While the American companies like GM, Sears continue on going out of business.

I would love to by American goods, But they are few and far between. Clothing from American companies is made in Bangladesh or Indonesia because the sweatshop labor is cheap. Levi Jeans are made all overseas except for some 501s made in USA but they are $88 a pair at Amazon.

Same with other goods. When could you buy a TV made in the USA? The last US made TV was Curtis Mathis and they went under in the 1970s.

Trade wares just cost us money and the jobs aren't coming back.
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

I don't care about the past legislators screwing our nation.
Fact is, thete are ways to work together. Look at toyota, Hyundai and others which have been bound by trade agreements to which the cars have a certain amount of American made parts and put together here.
Americans are demanding American made products.
Ivan Turgenev

I don't care about the past legislators screwing our nation.
Fact is, there are ways to work together. Look at toyota, Hyundai and others which have been bound by trade agreements to which the cars have a certain amount of American made parts and put together here.
Americans are demanding American made products.
Ivan Turgenev

He did it.
The United States pulled the trigger Friday on a steep increase in tariffs on Chinese products and Beijing immediately vowed to hit back, turning up the heat before a second day of trade negotiations.

President Donald Trump got a briefing from his trade negotiators after the first day of talks with the Chinese side on Thursday, but made no move to hold off on the tariffs — dashing hopes there might be a last-minute reprieve as the negotiations continued.

Minutes after the US increased punitive duties on $200 billion in imports from 10 to 25 percent, the Chinese commerce ministry said it “deeply regrets” the move and repeated its pledge to take “necessary countermeasures”, without elaborating.

Locked in a trade dispute for more than a year, officials from the world’s two biggest economies returned to the bargaining table late Thursday, led by Chinese Vice Premier Liu He, US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer and US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin.

Since last year, the two sides have exchanged tariffs on more than $360 billion in two-way trade, gutting US agricultural exports to China and weighing on both countries’ manufacturing sectors.

Trump began the standoff because of complaints about unfair Chinese trade practices.

The US team met with Trump late Thursday night to brief him and “agreed to continue discussions” on Friday, the White House said in a statement.

Liu said on his arrival in Washington that the prospects for the talks were “promising,” but warned that raising tariffs would be “harmful to both sides,” and called instead for cooperation.

“I hope to engage in rational and candid exchanges with the US side,” he told Chinese state media.

“Of course, China believes raising tariffs in the current situation is not a solution to the problem, but harmful to China, to the United States and to the whole world.”

The higher duty rates will hit a vast array of Chinese-made electrical equipment, machinery, auto parts and furniture.

But due to a quirk in the implementation of the higher tariffs, products already on ships headed for US ports before midnight will only pay the 10 percent rate, US Customs and Border Protection explained.

That could effectively provide a grace period for the sides to avert serious escalation.
https://www.rawstory.com/2019/05/us-hit ... ade-talks/

We need to remember one of the big factors in the cause and massive lasting effect of the Great Depression was the Tariff Trade war of the 1920s and 30s.