Mnuchin brazenly tells Congress that the administration refuses to comply with subpoena

Secretary of the Treasury Steven Mnuchin put in writing on Friday that President Donald Trump’s administration is refusing to comply with a subpoena for President Donald Trump’s tax returns.

Mnuchin argued that Attorney General Bill Barr has declared that the administration won’t abide by the law that requires the IRS to turn over Trump’s tax returns to House Ways and Means Committee Chair Richard Neal.

“In reliance on the advice of the Department of Justice, we have determined that the Committee’s request lacks a legitimate legislative purpose, and pursuant to section 6103, the Department is therefore not authorized to disclose the requested returns and return information,” Mnuchin claimed.

This is a developing story and it remains to be seen how House Democrats will respond to the administration’s stonewalling.Secretary of the Treasury Steven Mnuchin put in writing on Friday that President Donald Trump’s administration is refusing to comply with a subpoena for President Donald Trump’s tax returns.

Mnuchin argued that Attorney General Bill Barr has declared that the administration won’t abide by the law that requires the IRS to turn over Trump’s tax returns to House Ways and Means Committee Chair Richard Neal.

“In reliance on the advice of the Department of Justice, we have determined that the Committee’s request lacks a legitimate legislative purpose, and pursuant to section 6103, the Department is therefore not authorized to disclose the requested returns and return information,” Mnuchin claimed.

This is a developing story and it remains to be seen how House Democrats will respond to the administration’s stonewalling.
https://www.rawstory.com/2019/05/steve- ... -subpoena/

Coverup Bill is at it again. He thought H.W. Bush was above the law and did a coverup for him. Now he thinks Trump is above the law. The difference between Bush and Trump, is Trump truly believes he is above the law.

Time we prove they aren’t above the law and Lock ‘Em All Up.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: Mnuchin brazenly tells Congress that the administration refuses to comply with subpoena

If I were The Speaker, I'd cordially invite him to spend some time in the House jaol. I wish. More like a strongly worded letter.
Alternatively, Congress can ask the U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia, a federal prosecutor, to bring criminal charges against a witness who refuses to appear. There is a criminal law that specifically prohibits flouting a congressional subpoena.

But this option is also unlikely to be pursued, at least when it comes to subpoenas against executive branch officials.

“It would be odd, structurally, because it would mean the Trump administration would be acting to enforce subpoenas against the Trump administration,” said Lisa Kern Griffin, a former federal prosecutor and a law professor at Duke University.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1S02K8

Structure has nothing to do with it.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: Mnuchin brazenly tells Congress that the administration refuses to comply with subpoena

ErikO wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 1:30 am Contempt charges should be filed. Oh wait, it is just Congress, not a Court.
Each house has the inherent power to hold someone in contempt. At this point its the best of many bad options. If it was up to me, I'd be filing papers to begin the process of finding Munchin in contempt and ordering the Sargent at Arms to arrest him.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/start-here-de ... d=62802935

DavidMS wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 9:58 pm
ErikO wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 1:30 am Contempt charges should be filed. Oh wait, it is just Congress, not a Court.
Each house has the inherent power to hold someone in contempt. At this point its the best of many bad options. If it was up to me, I'd be filing papers to begin the process of finding Munchin in contempt and ordering the Sargent at Arms to arrest him.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/start-here-de ... d=62802935
I would, too. Unlike Barr, his violation of Federal Law is without doubt.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I wonder if Congress is stretching this out so that anything they receive will show up around the time of the GOP convention? Remember that the Wikileaks drops and other shenanigans happened right around the Dem convention for maximum effect.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:49 pm I wonder if Congress is stretching this out so that anything they receive will show up around the time of the GOP convention? Remember that the Wikileaks drops and other shenanigans happened right around the Dem convention for maximum effect.
Drop the shoe just after the convention and the renomination of Trump, so the Reptilians are totally screwed. The scary thing is Trump and Bolton may have us in a new war with Iran and Venezuela by then. You now the way to get reelected as a Reptilian President is to start a war Just look at the last three Reptilian Presidents.
Last edited by TrueTexan on Sun May 19, 2019 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote:
K9s wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:49 pm I wonder if Congress is stretching this out so that anything they receive will show up around the time of the GOP convention? Remember that the Wikileaks drops and other shenanigans happened right around the Dem convention for maximum effect.
Drop the shoe just after the convention and the renomination of Trump, so the Reptilians are totally screwed. The scary thing is Trump and Bolton may have us in a new war with Iran and Venezuela by then. You now the way to get reelected as a Reptilian President is to start a war Just look at the last three Reptilian Presidents.
Last 4 if you consider making a backroom deal to stay in a war to win an election. Nixon quite literally and obviously sacrificed untold thousands of lives for political gain, if that's not a war crime then I don't know what is, yet we fired him over tapes. Every Republican president since Eisenhower should have spent the rest of his life behind bars for crimes against humanity.

kronkmusic wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 11:56 am
TrueTexan wrote:
Last 4 if you consider making a backroom deal to stay in a war to win an election. Nixon quite literally and obviously sacrificed untold thousands of lives for political gain, if that's not a war crime then I don't know what is, yet we fired him over tapes. Every Republican president since Eisenhower should have spent the rest of his life behind bars for crimes against humanity.
I think another war in the middle east would guarantee a GOP loss. I assume they are waiting for Term 2.0 for stuff like that.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt