Re: Why dishonesty matters: Tankers attacked in Gulf of Oman

Adam Schiff (Dem-CA) who is chair of the House Intelligence Committee and sees intelligence reports from our spy agencies.
The evidence of Iran’s attack on the ships is strong. We should be leading an international effort to protect the seas and reduce the risk of conflict. Instead, Trump policies have left us isolated, and the region unstable. The maximum pressure campaign has failed. Maximally.
https://twitter.com/RepAdamSchiff/statu ... 7636191233

It's a critical waterway and Schiff is right it should be more of an international effort to keep it open. Report this morning that the UK is adding additional Royal Marines to their ships patrolling the Gulf. Tom Cotton is rattling sabers, if a US naval ship is attacked then we can expect a US response. Iran likes to use proxy groups and it's possible that they are using them in the Strait.

As the sanctions go on, Iranian clerics have to be concerned with political instability which threatens them, their power and their wealth. The average age in Iran is 31.3 years old, the bulk of the population was born after the Iranian revolution which brought in the mullahs and a supreme leader.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

featureless wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:02 pm What if we diverted the money from the Iran war effort and put it into renewable energy? If we weren't addicted to oil, perhaps we wouldn't need to kill for it... And we might alleviate some of the damage to future generation of humans by lowering CO2 emissions. What a silly thought.
I totally agree, but it's a big ask. When US vehicle makers get rid of most of their cars in favor of SUVs and trucks, it points out our addiction to cheap oil at any cost. If the SUVs and trucks were hybrids that would help, but they're gas guzzlers and come the next recession there will be more defaults on vehicle loans - can't afford to pay for them or tank them up.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:35 pm
featureless wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:02 pm What if we diverted the money from the Iran war effort and put it into renewable energy? If we weren't addicted to oil, perhaps we wouldn't need to kill for it... And we might alleviate some of the damage to future generation of humans by lowering CO2 emissions. What a silly thought.
I totally agree, but it's a big ask. When US vehicle makers get rid of most of their cars in favor of SUVs and trucks, it points out our addiction to cheap oil at any cost. If the SUVs and trucks were hybrids that would help, but they're gas guzzlers and come the next recession there will be more defaults on vehicle loans - can't afford to pay for them or tank them up.
I agree as I just bought a RAV4 Hybrid. It is getting 40+MPG Hwy and Town not as go as the Prius but darn close.

The next recession is coming soon and if it happens it will hopefully be before Trump and the Reptillians are voted out.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:57 pm
I agree as I just bought a RAV4 Hybrid. It is getting 40+MPG Hwy and Town not as go as the Prius but darn close.

The next recession is coming soon and if it happens it will hopefully be before Trump and the Reptillians are voted out.
Hybrids remain a great bridge technology. I'll be buying out the lease on my Leaf in October and plan to run it until the wheels fall off. While we do have a Forester as a family hauler, my Leaf takes me to/from work everyday with zero emissions. I am fortunate enough to have the ability to purchase 100% geothermal electricity for my home, produced just a few miles away at the Geysers, or I would have gone solar. I get giddy sticking my middle finger to the oil industry.

TrueTexan wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:57 pm

Great choice TT, I've been looking at that model and other hybrids. Just came back from a trip and rented a small SUV and mileage really sucked and they suck on all the SUVs except the hybrids but there are few hybrid SUVs. The Prius is dated and not as popular as it once was, but still great gas mileage. Now there is a Corolla and other Toyota hybrids and the Hondas.

Turns out, they have been using fake news and online trolls to push the anti-Iran sentiment all along. Your taxpayer dollars at work!

The State Department has been funding trolls to attack journalists and activists who oppose Iran war

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... r-targets/
Ironically, the Iran Disinformation Project was funded by the State Department’s Global Engagement Center, which was begun to combat online extremism and propaganda.

The targets of the tweets included think-tank analysts, human rights activists and journalists (including me). The common thread is that we are all perceived by regime change proponents and supporters of the Trump administration’s so-called maximum pressure policy to be soft on Iran because we are critical of crushing economic sanctions and the threat of the use of military force against it.

For these thought crimes, we are branded by @IranDisinfo and similar social media accounts as Tehran’s “mouthpieces,” “apologists,” “collaborators,” and “lobbyists” in the West.
Why does the U.S. need trolls to make its Iran case?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... 93c1cc04bd
This weekend, a new wrinkle was added to the ongoing saga about the information war over Iran policy: the stunning revelation that an online persona that was cited by the Trump administration to justify leaving the Iran nuclear deal is likely not a real person, after all.

On Sunday, the Intercept published an investigation into “Heshmat Alavi,” a rabid supporter of the Mujahideen-e Khalq (MEK), a controversial Iranian opposition group. Since 2014, he had amassed a large Twitter following, which he apparently leveraged to attract interest in freelance submissions.

But according to the Intercept report, it turns out Alavi, the self-proclaimed “Iranian activist with a passion for equal rights” who claims to be “in contact with sources that provide credible information about the mullahs’ regime in Tehran,” was a team of MEK members producing the content in Albania.

That didn’t stop Forbes, the Hill, Daily Caller and even the Voice of America from amplifying Alavi’s platform as a voice on Iran policy. [Note: Forbes and Voice of America have since removed “Alavi’s” pieces from their websites.] All of these outlets, and several more, have published articles by Alavi that claimed the MEK is the main opposition to the current Iranian regime.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

We've always used used local partisan groups but it's not as overt as the Global Engagement Center, hope the next Dem president would disband it. In the past we've used the CIA or before that the OSS to give voice to the opposition in countries with authoritarian regimes. The Iranian regime becomes more and more internally vulnerable under economic sanctions, it is a cruel regime as bad as the shah and his family that it replaced. The death penalty is the law for homosexuality.