William Barr: Our Less Christian Society Is To Blame For Mental Illness And Drug Abuse

Now we know where Barr stands on human rights. "break down traditional moral values." Such as slavery, wife abuse, child abuse, sexual abuse, discrimination, genocide and so on. All in the name of Christian traditional moral values.
Attorney General William Barr on Friday faulted the “ascendancy” of secularism in America for mental illness, violence and drug abuse.

“Virtually every moral pathology has gained ground,” he said in a speech at the University of Notre Dame’s law school. (See the video above beginning at 21:48.)

The speech revealed how deeply the top lawman in the nation is tied to his Catholicism as he lashed a recent New Jersey law requiring LGBTQ curriculum in public schools to support civil rights. He complained that laws are being “used as a battering ram to break down traditional moral values.”

Barr said that secular militants, including “so-called progressives,” are mobilized in an “organized destruction” of religion. He vowed that his Justice Department will fight for the “most cherished of all our American liberties: the freedom to live according to our faith.”

Because of the decreasing influence of Judeo-Christian traditions, Barr insisted, “along with the wreckage of the family, we are seeing record levels of depression and mental illness, dispirited young people, soaring suicide rates, increasing numbers of angry and alienated young males, an increase in senseless violence and a deadly drug epidemic.”

(Violent crime has decreased significantly over the past quarter century, according to statistics collected by the federal government.)

He added: “I won’t dwell on the bitter results of the new secular age. Suffice it to say that the campaign to destroy the traditional moral order has ... brought with it immense suffering and misery.”

Barr called Judeo-Christian moral standards the “ultimate utilitarian rules for human conduct ... They are like God’s instruction manual for the best running of man and the best operation for human society,” he added.

Barr said religion has been under “increasing” assault in America over the last 50 years and that “ground zero” for attacks on religion now are “the schools.”
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/william- ... 9da04a8e8d

Don't expect the DoJ to support anything that helps all the people.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: William Barr: Our Less Christian Society Is To Blame For Mental Illness And Drug Abuse

That makes three of us...the people who have screwed me over and abused me over the years have all been wealthy and religious.

I find it disgusting that as fewer and fewer young people are finding religion old school religious are more and more threatened and determined to force their morals and archaic religion upon the unbelievers.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Re: William Barr: Our Less Christian Society Is To Blame For Mental Illness And Drug Abuse

VodoundaVinci wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:40 pm That makes three of us...the people who have screwed me over and abused me over the years have all been wealthy and religious.

I find it disgusting that as fewer and fewer young people are finding religion old school religious are more and more threatened and determined to force their morals and archaic religion upon the unbelievers.

VooDoo
I agree with you and make it four.
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

SubRosa wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:51 am What I've learned in my short 66 years is the only people that have screwed me around were 'Christians'.

So there.

SR
Lucky for you, you never met my BIL's 2nd ex-wife, like my brother's ex- Both are thieving, lying, manipulative, devout practicing hypocrites--and the first is very loud and very phony in her Jewish devotions, the latter is as phony a "Christian" as you could find.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

The Pence/Barr/Kav/Etc "Christian Supremacist" playbook is just a method of control. The true believers are (mostly) white nationalists and the rest are just con artists.

I see too many fake-Christians here who sing a different tune about Christianity when an AME Church is burned to the ground or minorities are caged and enslaved.

If there is a Heaven, I would love to see their faces when they are denied a visa and their religious passport is revoked.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Mason wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:58 am If a business person hands me a card with a fish or a cross on it or they have any of that stuff on their work vehicle it’s an immediate signal to me not to do business with them.

Religious symbols are useful after all!
I have seen exceptions to the rule, but never in the construction trades: the fish or the cross means fishy quality work by laborers getting double crossed.

Word, Marlene. There are several businesses here locally that have that "Fish" symbol incorporated into their company/business logos one being a used car place. Never have so many people been screwed alive as they have been at this car place. Cars that have been in floods sold as owned by a little old lady who only drove it to church on Sunday, Cars that have been wrecked twice sold as cars that were loaned to famous golf personalities during the local big ass golf open.

Shameless cheaters and well known for it by the locals. Yet they also own and operate one of the local Super Churches that preaches wealth is a sign that God is smiling on you.....you know the kind? The ones where you have your paycheck deposited to The Church and they dole out your living expenses? :thumbsdown: My Wife has fundamentalist christian types in her family - the ones who speak in tongues and fall down and shake when The Spirit is upon them. At every family death they are the first ones to show up and start filching antiques or going thru Grandma's dresser looking for that envelope with a couple hundred $ stashed in it or Old Uncle's gun collection or coin collection. Getting into the safe deposit boxes and altering documents and signing properties over to themselves or snatching the wedding rings of long dead great grandmas.

Disgusting sleazy people who cry fake tears and try to grab everything they can while wearing their Christianity like a veil of proof that they are God's Chosen. Gross... :ras:

My Wife calls them "Snake Kissers".

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:15 am My mother called them "practicing hypocrites", starting with her own mother. (My mom was fine woman, but her mother was a crazy, nasty, manipulative monster).
When I interact with that "christian" Bible Thumpers type and they start how holy they are and the usual BS about "are you saved" I just look at them and say read Matthew Chapter 6 in your bible. If they have really read any of the Bible that shuts them up.

For those that aren't Christian or haven't read Matthew Ch.6 Here it is .
Giving to the Needy

1“Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

2“So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 3But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Prayer

5“And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

9“This, then, is how you should pray:

“ ‘Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
10your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
11Give us today our daily bread.
12And forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13And lead us not into temptation, a
but deliver us from the evil one. b ’
14For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.
15But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

Fasting

16“When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 17But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, 18so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Treasures in Heaven

19“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

22“The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are healthy, c your whole body will be full of light. 23But if your eyes are unhealthy, d your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness!

24“No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.

Having grown up in the Bible Belt, and forced to go to a conservative church as a child, I am fed up with fake Xtians. And for the most part, want nothing to do with the religion. I know there are good ones, but you have to wade through a sewer to find one.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

EVERYTHING in Matthew 6 is performed to the opposite by today's evangelicals. Went to friend's funeral a couple of years ago. If it wasn't disrespectful to her husband and step-children, we would have marched right out. The preacher's thousand or 2 thousand dollar suit. The giant gold-and jeweled rings on his fingers, the perfect super-expensive haircut....and the stream of BULLSHIT he spouted.

I may be Jewish but I grew up among Catholics and some Protestants so I know a little about what their faith says Jesus taught them. And I saw none of that in this guy, and none of it in today's fancy "televangelists".
They trade in hate, greed, bigotry, and hypocrisy. Yet they've distilled it down to "I'm as sure for heaven as if I'm already there!" by simply "accepting Jesus as my personal savior."

Yet they forget one KEY phrase that Jesus taught, that applies to themselves and how they see others: "Go, and sin no more."
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Progressive and liberal Christian movements don't make anyone a lot of money. They just "help" poor people who cannot donate big bucks to political campaigns. But, they do keep people occupied while the oligarchy steals more power in plain sight.

I doubt that progressives will be able to take back any power in time. Gerrymandering and income inequality is already entrenched to keep patriarchy and white supremacy in control for generations.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

People think that the Catholic Church is one unified entity in contrast to Protestantism with its many denominations and Judaism with it's branches, but it is not.
Paralleling the ascendancy of the Religious Right out of 1980s evangelicalism, today’s Catholic Right is rising and well-financed. While pendulum swings are common between conservative and progressive tendencies in Catholicism, the 35-year traditionalist reign of popes John Paul II and Benedict XVI allowed the Far Right to flourish. In the United States, Catholics constitute the largest and most organized Christian denomination and include Catholic parishes, schools and universities, and hospitals.
Barr's statement is very much from the traditionalist or conservative wing which is well financed by millionaires and billionaires. One is Timothy Busch an Orange County, CA attorney whose father founded a chain of upscale Michigan supermarkets. He co-founded the Napa Institute a right wing organization which seems part Catholic, part libertarian and part evangelical. These groups seek to discredit Pope Francis who they see as too progressive and force him to resign, he's spoken openly about them. They have money and influence which they used successfully in the part in getting more traditionalist bishops appointed.
https://sojo.net/magazine/march-2019/ri ... olic-right
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:57 pm People think that the Catholic Church is one unified entity in contrast to Protestantism with its many denominations and Judaism with it's branches, but it is not.
Paralleling the ascendancy of the Religious Right out of 1980s evangelicalism, today’s Catholic Right is rising and well-financed. While pendulum swings are common between conservative and progressive tendencies in Catholicism, the 35-year traditionalist reign of popes John Paul II and Benedict XVI allowed the Far Right to flourish. In the United States, Catholics constitute the largest and most organized Christian denomination and include Catholic parishes, schools and universities, and hospitals.
Barr's statement is very much from the traditionalist or conservative wing which is well financed by millionaires and billionaires. One is Timothy Busch an Orange County, CA attorney whose father founded a chain of upscale Michigan supermarkets. He co-founded the Napa Institute a right wing organization which seems part Catholic, part libertarian and part evangelical. These groups seek to discredit Pope Francis who they see as too progressive and force him to resign, he's spoken openly about them. They have money and influence which they used successfully in the part in getting more traditionalist bishops appointed.
https://sojo.net/magazine/march-2019/ri ... olic-right
Yeah, I have been watching this assault on mainstream Catholicism for a while. They are following the same playbook they used against the IRS. It works.

They will magnify every scandal and make stuff up on every side of the issue to discredit the religions that they cannot control. Putin did this in Russia. It's great for nationalist warmongers!

- Franklin D. Roosevelt