Who is Watching the Biden Sanders Debate?

So many executive orders, so much twitter. What to do? Well, discuss it here for one...

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Who is Watching the Biden Sanders Debate?

Post by YankeeTarheel »

I'm surprised that Bernie's made more gaffes than Joe. Bernie called the coronavirus the Ebola crisis. He claimed it was Bush who bailed out GM when it was Obama. So far, Joe's only gaffe (that I saw) is getting the Swine Flu name H1N1 garbled.
Joe is still sharp and energetic not looking like the angry "Get off my lawn!" old guy from before South Carolina. If anyone's off, it's Bernie Sanders, though not by much.
""If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." -- LBJ

kronkmusic
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Who is Watching the Biden Sanders Debate?

Post by kronkmusic »

Just put it on, had it DVRed. It's strange without a crowd for sure. Not sure yet if it's better or worse, just not used to it, I've never seen a debate without a crowd.

kronkmusic
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by kronkmusic »

They're both doing pretty well. Bernie nailed him on Super PACs and social security, Joe was left looking a little foolish there. So far I don't think this changes the outcome of the election, I'll watch the rest and see if my mind changes about that.

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by YankeeTarheel »

Bernie didn't stick around to socialize, which tells ME he wasn't happy with his personal performance.
""If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." -- LBJ

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

He had an interview with CNN to get to. I listened to it.
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

kronkmusic
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by kronkmusic »

General thoughts:

This debate format is worlds better. Like night and day, no doubt about it. Crowds just turn it into a circus. I know TV networks like the drama of cheering and booing but this is the way debates should be. Hopefully at least some of the presidential debates will be held in this format. I think Trump would suffer without a crowd to play his wise cracks off of.

Overall I thought they both did pretty well. Biden had good energy, though Bernie always has good energy. Bernie won the jabbing contest for sure. I also think Bernie won on the issues, as he tends to do, while Biden did a good job of coming off like he was ready to assume the office of the presidency. In many ways it reflected what the polls keep showing: Bernie's policies are generally winning policies but people think Biden has the best chance to defeat Trump and become president.

I don't think this debate changes the outcome of the primaries, but I think it once again highlights that Biden needs to move a little to the left to beat Trump. He's already budged left on education. Picking Warren as a running mate, which I feel he kind of alluded to during the debate without really saying it when he went out of his way to say he'd be picking a female running mate and then praising her bankruptcy plan, could go a long way for him. Some still think he'll pick Klobuchar but her voters are already his voters now, it doesn't expand his appeal at all. His biggest challenge will be bringing in the left wing of the party. If he can find the right way to do that, he can beat Trump.

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by lurker »

i pretty much agree with the whole post, and as much as i like bernie, think this
kronkmusic wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:05 am
His biggest challenge will be bringing in the left wing of the party. If he can find the right way to do that, he can beat Trump.
is the winning strategy.

highdesert
Carpal Tunnel

Post by highdesert »

On Tuesday night, Joe Biden's campaign was celebrating his latest primary night triumph. By Wednesday morning, #NeverBiden, #WriteinBernie and #DemExit2020 hashtags began trending on Twitter.

There's no question it’s been a banner two weeks for Biden. But lurking in the background of his sudden ascension to all-but-presumptive nominee is evidence that at least some Bernie Sanders supporters might not migrate to him in November, weakening him in the general election. The significance of the problem became apparent in the same string of primaries that put Biden on the cusp of the nomination.

In Michigan — a state critical to Democrats’ efforts to reclaim their general election footing in the Rust Belt — just 2 of 5 Sanders backers said they would vote Democratic in November, regardless of who became the nominee, according to exit polls. Four in five said they'd be dissatisfied with Biden as the Democratic standard-bearer.
There is certainly anecdotal evidence that for many progressives, Biden represents everything they dislike about mainstream Democratic politics. On “The Young Turks,” which draws millions of viewers, Krystal Ball, the former MSNBC host, said she couldn’t vote for Trump. “But you can leave it blank,” she said, referring to the November ballot.

Ball said she is an "undecided voter" because "if they always can say, 'Look, you've got to vote for us no matter what, you've got no other choice,' then they're always going to treat us like this."
This year, Sanders’ momentum was blunted not by those insiders but by black voters in the South and, following his victory in South Carolina, by the broader electorate.

Polls show Biden is also viewed more favorably now than Hillary Clinton was in 2016.
Recent Democratic nominees who have lost, such as Hillary Clinton and John Kerry, received about 55 percent of the youth vote, he said, whereas former President Barack Obama won 60 percent or more in his two races. “It’s not a coincidence that the youth vote crossed or met that 60 percent threshold in each of those campaigns that were successful," he said.

In the 2016 primary, Sanders dominated the youth vote against Clinton, winning more than 80 percent of voters under 30 in some states. When the general election came, some leading left-wing voices backed the Green Party’s Jill Stein.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/1 ... ent-127438

Much depends on how this virus plays out, the administration's response and the economy. At this point in time, I still see Trump winning. When the progressive wing sees no difference between Biden and Trump why vote.
Last edited by highdesert on Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Wino
Loquacious

Post by Wino »

Why vote?? !! Trump is a sole no brainer reason.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw."
"The greatest threat facing the United States is its own president." David Rothkopf, WaPo

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by lurker »

highdesert wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:25 am
When the progressive wing sees no difference between Biden and Trump why vote.
IF this defines the "progressive wing", then the progressive wing can, imo, go fuck itself, because that's precisely what they're doing to the rest of us. sure, go ahead and take your toys and go home, little spoiled children.
seriously, i'm f'ing tired of this BS, can you tell?

kronkmusic
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by kronkmusic »

lurker wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:01 am
highdesert wrote:
IF this defines the "progressive wing", then the progressive wing can, imo, go fuck itself, because that's precisely what they're doing to the rest of us. sure, go ahead and take your toys and go home, little spoiled children.
I lean very progressive on most issues. I'm also a realist and an adult, and I learned from 2016. Biden will have my vote. The thing is, I think most of those Bernie people who are saying they won't vote for Biden will eventually come around. I was feeling particularly dispondent after the 2016 primary, but eventually came around to reality. And this process hasn't been nearly as questionable as 2016 was with super delegates weighing in early and some super delegates being caught saying they would vote against the will of their constituency. Like I said above, Biden is going to have to find the right way to bring in the progressive wing and picking Warren would gain him some ground there. I also think he'll have to declare a plan to move towards eventual M4A after closing the gaps in the ACA and introducing a public option.

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by CDFingers »

Bernie using the Force choke.
6vkl2cgivxm41.jpg
That's how he won the jabbing contest.

CDFingers
ImageImage
Turn on channel six, the President comes on the news,
Says, "I get no satisfaction, that's why I sing the blues."

TrueTexan
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by TrueTexan »

kronkmusic wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:02 pm
lurker wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:01 am
highdesert wrote:
I lean very progressive on most issues. I'm also a realist and an adult, and I learned from 2016. Biden will have my vote. The thing is, I think most of those Bernie people who are saying they won't vote for Biden will eventually come around. I was feeling particularly dispondent after the 2016 primary, but eventually came around to reality. And this process hasn't been nearly as questionable as 2016 was with super delegates weighing in early and some super delegates being caught saying they would vote against the will of their constituency. Like I said above, Biden is going to have to find the right way to bring in the progressive wing and picking Warren would gain him some ground there. I also think he'll have to declare a plan to move towards eventual M4A after closing the gaps in the ACA and introducing a public option.
I will hold my nose and vote for Biden. I would hope the Dems carry the Senate and House. Biden would be smart to let Bernie shepherd the M4A through the senate into the house. Also have him work with Pelosi in the house because she is a corporate Dem and will be likely to want to gut it. Biden will also have to work to change the DNC to a more progressive stance rather than the Clinton corporation.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
The illegal we do immediately; the unconstitutional takes a little longer-Kissinger
Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired.-Swift

sig230
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by sig230 »

I would treat the Presidential election like the NRA. I renew my membership but always feel slight dirty afterwards.
To be vintage it must be older than me!

From Deep South Texas

Bisbee
Carpal Tunnel

Post by Bisbee »

Election? Forever the optimists I see. Me, I've been watching the news around the world... Two things stood out this past week which I felt relates to this post.

Israel delays start of corruption trial against Bibi due to coronavirus emergency.
https://uk.reuters.com/video/watch/coro ... d696328774

Korea goes ahead with national elections in spite of coronavirus lock-down.
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200315_14/

Come November, I can see this going either way. I suspect we may see some sort of emergency declaration for "delaying" the election for the good of the people from this Administration, calling for unity from the Dems to put aside their partisanship. Only then shall we see what sort of public push-back actually materializes to stop attempts at authoritarianism through emergency.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

sig230
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by sig230 »

Bisbee wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:45 pm
Election? Forever the optimists I see. Me, I've been watching the news around the world... Two things stood out this past week which I felt relates to this post.

Israel delays start of corruption trial against Bibi due to coronavirus emergency.

Come November, I can see this going either way. I suspect we may see some sort of emergency declaration for "delaying" the election for the good of the people from this Administration, calling for unity from the Dems to put aside their partisanship. Only then shall we see what sort of public push-back actually materializes to stop attempts at authoritarianism through emergency.
Expect a two step vote by mail setup. First you will need to apply for the ballot and that will allows some control as well as cross checks. Expect a requirement to produce governmental photo id at a minimum. Then ballots will need to be received with a cut off postmark time. Hand counts will mean we are looking beyond hanging chad type timelines. It is a system that worked well in Cook County for a long, long time.

From Deep South Texas

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by CDFingers »

sig230 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:30 pm
Bisbee wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:45 pm

Expect a two step vote by mail setup. First you will need to apply for the ballot and that will allows some control as well as cross checks. Expect a requirement to produce governmental photo id at a minimum. Then ballots will need to be received with a cut off postmark time. Hand counts will mean we are looking beyond hanging chad type timelines. It is a system that worked well in Cook County for a long, long time.
This primary was the first statewide option to vote by mail in California. Went fairly well, and there's time to repair the local glitches and fungoo.

CDFingers
ImageImage
Turn on channel six, the President comes on the news,
Says, "I get no satisfaction, that's why I sing the blues."

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by lurker »

the way i see the timeline, corona will have burned itself out by the end of summer. no excuse for fools to fool with the election. the fact that don the con agrees with me for once is sheer chance. i could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by YankeeTarheel »

lurker wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:47 pm
the way i see the timeline, corona will have burned itself out by the end of summer. no excuse for fools to fool with the election. the fact that don the con agrees with me for once is sheer chance. i could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.
Remember: Whatever Trump says, he INSTINCTIVELY lies, make numbers rosier (if it's good for him) or worse (if it's bad for an opponent). So if he says it will be over by july....just add 12 months.

IBEWJIW
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by IBEWJIW »

I don't see how COVID will be "done" until we have a vaccine. I don't think we've beaten any disease without widespread vaccination.

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by lurker »

it could very well end sooner, say, by mid-summer. look at the confirmed-case/cured timelines and reach your own conclusion. i think he got it right this time, by mistake. wouldn't be the first time he made a mistake. i was surprised that he didn't say thru november. maybe that would've been too obvious?

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by YankeeTarheel »

Well, if 98% who get it survive, they'll be immune and probably unable to carry it. So there may be a herd immunity.

But it still stinks. However, the slower the spread can be kept the more breathing room for a vaccine to be developed.

highdesert
Carpal Tunnel

Post by highdesert »

IBEWJIW wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:53 pm
I don't see how COVID will be "done" until we have a vaccine. I don't think we've beaten any disease without widespread vaccination.
A lot of drug companies are working on a vaccine in the the US and elsewhere. Experts have been saying no vaccine for 12-18 months so March to June of next year, I'm not holding my breath about sooner but anything is possible. If it's like the annual flu vaccine, it will only have a 30 to 60% effectiveness we'll see eventually from human testing. If one of the anti-virals being tested works and it's like the flu anti-virals, get it within 48 hours and it would really lessen symptoms.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by lurker »

YankeeTarheel wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:14 pm
But it still stinks.
yes, i'm torn. the sooner we get this over with the sooner we (we who survive) can get on with life and getting rid of donald the duck, but the more likely that health care systems will be overwhelmed. fortunately, it's not up to me, and reality will do what reality does.

sig230
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by sig230 »

YankeeTarheel wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:14 pm
Well, if 98% who get it survive, they'll be immune and probably unable to carry it. So there may be a herd immunity.

But it still stinks. However, the slower the spread can be kept the more breathing room for a vaccine to be developed.
Yes, and no.

We have already seen covid-19 mutate into at least two different strains as seen by the second wave scenario that happened in China. We know that we need to create a different flu vaccine every year and this will most likely be similar. There is no "herd immunity" for novel viruses.

From Deep South Texas