Giving money to the people.

So many executive orders, so much twitter. What to do? Well, discuss it here for one...

Moderators: admin, Inquisitor, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

TrueTexan
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: Giving money to the people.

Post by TrueTexan »

I would make it simple for the business they can get loans from the the government under these conditions.

1. No executive or CEO pay raises or bonuses and no stock options until all loans are paid back in full with a modest interest rate.

2. Absolutely no stock buybacks or stock dividends paid until the loans and interest are paid in full.

3. If employees are to be laid off then the CEO and Executive pay is to be reduced by the percentage of employees laid off. Example if 2 percent of the work force is laid off then the CEO and executive pay is to be reduced by 2 percent. During the layoff workers will continue to receive company paid health insurance.

This is just a good start to make sure the money goes to help the hens and not the foxes running the hen house.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
The illegal we do immediately; the unconstitutional takes a little longer-Kissinger
Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired.-Swift

YankeeTarheel
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by YankeeTarheel »

And not one dime to any Trump-owned or branded property, nor to Jared's family or businesses, nor to business connected to ANY cabinet member (Looking at you, Elaine Chao, wife of Moscow Mitch), Senator or Congressperson.
""If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." -- LBJ

TrueTexan
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by TrueTexan »

YankeeTarheel wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:07 am
And not one dime to any Trump-owned or branded property, nor to Jared's family or businesses, nor to business connected to ANY cabinet member (Looking at you, Elaine Chao, wife of Moscow Mitch), Senator or Congressperson.
Add the rule no company can borrow federal loan money, if a congress critter or elected/appointed executive branch critter or their immediate family holds ownership or any stock over .5 percent in the company. All stocks and other holdings must be placed in a blind trust upon assuming the office or position. The blind trust will continue for ninety days after leaving the office or position in government.
The illegal we do immediately; the unconstitutional takes a little longer-Kissinger
Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired.-Swift

highdesert
Carpal Tunnel

Post by highdesert »

I expect Trump and the rest of the gang to be standing in line to get their share. Dems are holding out to tighten that $500 billion slush fund for corporations and businesses that has very few rules which means Mnuchin and his cronies will make sure the Swamp enjoys it.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

highdesert wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:22 am
One report said that McConnell has scheduled another vote this morning at 10 am when the markets open in an attempt to pressure Democratic senators. Even if the senate passed the bill, Pelosi would send them a different one and it would go to conference committee. Save businesses is their mantra, to hell with the workers.
The GOP dared Dems to delay the bill. The Dems are holding strong and called the bluff. This really will be the only chance Dems will have to get anything for their own constituents. That last multi-billion dollar package was short on money to blue states and healthcare.

F*k McConnell and let the economy burn down before giving GOP Donors their bailout. This bailout won't help anyone enough and we will be paying off the debt for a century. It will be their excuse to cut social security and medicare in the future, anyway. We have seen this movie. F*k 'em.
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

kronkmusic
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by kronkmusic »

K9s wrote:
highdesert wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:22 am
One report said that McConnell has scheduled another vote this morning at 10 am when the markets open in an attempt to pressure Democratic senators. Even if the senate passed the bill, Pelosi would send them a different one and it would go to conference committee. Save businesses is their mantra, to hell with the workers.
The GOP dared Dems to delay the bill. The Dems are holding strong and called the bluff. This really will be the only chance Dems will have to get anything for their own constituents. That last multi-billion dollar package was short on money to blue states and healthcare.

F*k McConnell and let the economy burn down before giving GOP Donors their bailout. This bailout won't help anyone enough and we will be paying off the debt for a century. It will be their excuse to cut social security and medicare in the future, anyway. We have seen this movie. F*k 'em.
Couldn't agree more. They can't budge on this. If the Dow has to fall to zero then so be it.

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by lurker »

some of that dow is mine, and i'm willing to take the hit. bring it.

featureless
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by featureless »

The Dems seem to be playing the bloatware game as well. Time to focus on the essentials and get shit done.

Mason

Post by Mason »

I've never really expected my 401K to be there for me. I only contribute because I'd be leaving company match money on the table if I didn't. Burn it down.
"You can not consume happiness."
-Melissa G.

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by CDFingers »

Senate failed to advance the bill. R's held out for corporations, D's held out for the people to have a few crumbs after corps get bucks.

Dead. They are a waste.

eta: Aaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnd the Dow plummets.

CDFingers
ImageImage
Turn on channel six, the President comes on the news,
Says, "I get no satisfaction, that's why I sing the blues."

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

featureless wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:09 pm
The Dems seem to be playing the bloatware game as well. Time to focus on the essentials and get shit done.
Ummm.... Dems are asking for Vote by Mail, for example. That seems pretty important to me and others in red states with postponed primaries and COVID-19. But... the GOP calls that overreach.

McConnell lies and so does the rest of the GOP propaganda network.
The border between civilization and savagery is porous and patrolled by opportunists. Resist fascism. Vote like your democracy depends on it.

GeorgiaRN
Chatty

Post by GeorgiaRN »

Im going to go with AOC on this one. Quit playing politics. Give money to the people during this short lived downturn. Pelosi has lost every political maneuver she has tried to put in place. She has failed to hurt Trump. The Dems have had their butts handed to them by Trump at every turn. How many people is Pelosi willing sacrifice to try more political chess with Trump? Im really angry that nothing has moved forward on this. Pelosi cares more about making Trump look bad (not that he cant do that on his own) than she does about helping the average person like myself. Dems are so full of crap when they talk about being "For the People."
EAT,SLEEP,RANGE,REPEAT

featureless
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by featureless »

K9s wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:37 pm
featureless wrote:
Ummm.... Dems are asking for Vote by Mail, for example. That seems pretty important to me and others in red states with postponed primaries and COVID-19. But... the GOP calls that overreach.

So we tie economic response to voting rights? Not at this time. Not if we want people to survive this. It's bloatware.

Obviously, voting needs to be addressed. But if ya ain't got a fucking home, just how has vote by mail helped? :)

senorgrand
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by senorgrand »

Not sure this was covered or not, but let's say the government gives you a check for $1,000 to $2,500...what are you going to do with it?

I'd pay-down my debt, which isn't really in anyone's immediate interest (so to speak), except mine.

Grand Poobah and Bass Player for the Conspiracy of Weenies.

K9s
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by K9s »

featureless wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:58 pm
K9s wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:37 pm
featureless wrote:

So we tie economic response to voting rights? Not at this time. Not if we want people to survive this. It's bloatware.

Obviously, voting needs to be addressed. But if ya ain't got a fucking home, just how has vote by mail helped? :)
Seriously????

How do people get Coronavirus? Not from staying home and voting by mail. By crowding them into lines and small rooms, probably.

featureless
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by featureless »

Seriously. One step at a time if you want to get anywhere.

This bill should not be all encompassing. Do you, in your situation, want them to fiddle fuck with it for two weeks or could you and people just like you use some relief right fucking now?

I can wait out a few months of fiddle fucking. I'm concerned that a great many cannot.

TrueTexan
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by TrueTexan »

featureless wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:07 pm
Seriously. One step at a time if you want to get anywhere.

This bill should not be all encompassing. Do you, in your situation, want them to fiddle fuck with it for two weeks or could you and people just like you use some relief right fucking now?

I can wait out a few months of fiddle fucking. I'm concerned that a great many cannot.
Those that can't wait. My Son and his new wife. He was furloughed as the executive Chef where he works. once they reopen he will have his job, but god only knows when that will happen, His wife was layoff and won't even get her final paycheck from the restaurant chain she worked for because they have no money to pay employees that were laid off when they closed. The chain is local to Dallas and looking for an emergency sale. Just heard my Brother-In-Law just lost his job in telephone tech support for Hotel data systems because no calls as hotels shut down. Luckily his wife is still employed and her job is with a chemical company that supplies chemicals to industry for disinfectants amount other products. Their business has picked up.

My wife and I are doing okay. She is still employee as dean at the local community college I am retired and get Social Security and two retirement checks,

featureless
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by featureless »

Yup. Figure rents are due in two weeks. Lots of people will have been out of work for 3 weeks by then. Leadership needs to drop the politics and focus on food and shelter.

kronkmusic
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by kronkmusic »

I'll be fine no matter what Congress settles on, but I know too many who won't, too many people who are about to miss rent and bills and are a couple weeks away from going hungry. Focus on the virus and getting money to Americans, you can figure out the rest later. Get it back in people's taxes if they're making over $100k/year or whatever, I'm not sure where the lines should be drawn, but it needs to happen yesterday or looting will become a thing sooner rather than later.

sig230
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by sig230 »

The problem is that il Donaldo has a better Propaganda machine than the Democrats and a cadre of fellow travelers trained to accept SOURCE over CONTENT.
To be vintage it must be older than me!

From Deep South Texas

TrueTexan
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by TrueTexan »

Well it seems Trump has been in touch with a very well known economist trying to find out a solution.
Trump called infamous right-wing economist four times to beg for advice on stopping job losses

On Monday, The Daily Beast reported that President Donald Trump called right-wing economist Art Laffer multiple times, in a desperate attempt for advice on how to stop the financial bleeding from the coronavirus pandemic.

“‘I had a very serious conversation with [President Trump] and with [top economic adviser] Larry Kudlow and with [Treasury Secretary Steve] Mnuchin as well,’ relayed Art Laffer, a longtime conservative economist, who said he had three missed calls from Trump on Thursday night before the two connected,” according to the report. “During the phone call, Laffer says he advised the president to back a payroll tax-cut waiver, to guarantee liquidity for successful companies, and that ‘we should not be bailing out insolvent firms right now. I also advised him against ‘helicopter money’ … The president understood exactly what I was saying.'”

Laffer is notorious as the economist who came up with the Republican Party’s decades-long tax plan with a doodle on a napkin. He has argued that cutting taxes on the wealthiest corporations and individuals will increase the supply of goods and services, to the point where purchasing power increases for everyone else and economic growth of the tax base offsets losses in revenue — an idea that has not panned out in the real world.

Trump has grown increasingly fearful that the pandemic and the ensuing economic collapse will wreck his campaign message, which had been that he was a trustworthy steward of the economy.
https://www.rawstory.com/2020/03/trump ... es-report/

This is the idiot that had developed the Laffer Curve, also known as the laughing curve by real economists. He is infamous for trickle down economics that Reptilians just can’t stop loving.

We are so screwed.

We are doomed

featureless
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by featureless »

Not quite sure how one purchases an excess of cheap shit when one doesn't have an income... But im easily confused. So I offer this useless life hack to get us through lean times.
FB_IMG_1584068048498-1313471 (1).jpg

lurker
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by lurker »

you cannot bully, litigate or sue your way past a virus. sooner or later, harsh reality (where most of us have spent most of our lives) catches up with you. these privileged SOBs are surprised by, and uncomprehending of, this concept. but there it is

Wino
Loquacious

Post by Wino »

Saw a meme from Sept. 2055 saying "Robert used the last roll of TP his parents bought back in 2020."
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw."
"The greatest threat facing the United States is its own president." David Rothkopf, WaPo

CDFingers
Verified Member
Verified Member

Post by CDFingers »

AOC ought to author a simple bill giving folks a grand or two a month for the duration. That's all. Ask that there be no amendments, and that when it passes they will in all good conscience consider allowing large corporations to remain out of jail for the most part.

CDFingers
ImageImage
Turn on channel six, the President comes on the news,
Says, "I get no satisfaction, that's why I sing the blues."