Re: CA Democratic governor Newsom's recall

featureless wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:49 pm I won't be surprised if both sides engage in those accusations going forward. Who doesn't love a good scandal? :sick:

I agree, the accusations are just starting early. I expect Republicans will be crowding the polls on Tuesday, September 14th like they did on November 3rd 2020. CA has had an average turn out of less than 40% for special elections, but every voter got a ballot in the mail so that could improve turn out.

And just in time for the election.
California issued hundreds of thousands of direct payments to eligible residents as the first batch of expanded Golden State Stimulus checks was deposited into bank accounts last Friday.

The state distributed approximately 600,000 direct payments worth an estimated total of $354 million, according to Daniel Tahara, a spokesman for state’s Franchise Tax Board. The next round of payments will be sent in approximately two weeks, though an exact date has not been set yet, he said. After that, payments will continue to go out about every 14 days.

California is planning to distribute $12 billion total in stimulus payments to help residents recover from the financial impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, according to Gov. Gavin Newsom’s office. About 66% of California’s population is expected to benefit from what is being touted as the largest state tax rebate ever in the U.S.
https://ktla.com/news/california/califo ... us-checks/

If a Republican did that before an election, he would get roasted by the media, but it's ok for Newsom.
Last edited by highdesert on Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I worked the CA election again last week for 10 days. It culminated yesterday in Election Day which started at 6:am for all volunteer clerks and ended at 8:30 pm when the numbers of ballots collected were verified. Not including drop-off mail ballots, we had 948 voters come vote in person this final day.

The lead organizer for our group lost her 42 y/o sister-in-law to Covid four days ago during the early voting session. She continued working through the election with our help although she and her family were devastated. During the last presidential election she also lost her father-in-law to Covid!

Elections in America are run by volunteers who devote their time and expertise to supporting a sacred tradition for democracy. It is the closest thing to a religious observance attended by all citizens that our secular society has. To have Larry Elders and Trumpists accuse any election of fraud or illegal scheming without evidence is a slap in the face of all those who work to ensure a fair and safe election. I can virtually guarantee such accusers are people who DO NOT participate in the election process except maybe when they spend 5 min to cast their vote. After the polls closed I learned how many of us volunteers at our site actually voted for this recall. And yet our group of volunteers worked together professionally, as one cohesive unit, to fulfill our duty to help all voters cast their vote.
Last edited by Bisbee on Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Thanks for volunteering Bisbee, I've done in the past so understand that it's a very long day. Elder and Trump were stupid to infer fraud, elections in CA are run by the 58 counties who take voting seriously no matter which party. It's over Newsom won, so now on to other things.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

It's because of volunteers like Bisbee that a call for a recount will fall on deaf eyes. California with our redistricting process and poll-management is a beacon to America.

And we have the Giants.

As an aside, baseball I find to be one of the most appropriate metaphors for life. It really ain't over 'till the last out if it's a tight game, eh. As kids when we didn't have enough for two teams, we played "workups," where there were only three batters, and you filled as many fielding positions as you had players. Dogs did not count because they stole the ball. So a pitcher would pitch, and a batter would bat. If he grounded to short and was thrown out or otherwise made an out, he would go to right field and everyone would work up one position: left field went to third, third to short, short to second, and so on, and the pitcher went up to hit. If you flied out, batter and fielder switched. There was no winning or losing, only playing. You might fly out to right, you know, or you might never make an out and keep batting 'till the street lights came on.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

The few numbers I saw looked like Newsome got twice as many votes "No" as the "Yes"/Trump crowd got.

Yet they STILL shriek "VOTER FRAUD!!!"

There's a stupid quirk in the CA law saying that if the recalled didn't get 50%, the plurality winner then wins even if that candidate had far fewer votes than Newsome.
The lege in CA is looking to change or do away with that idiot law.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

CA Lege really needs to revisit that law now to avoid expensive boondoggle recalls from hanging around the necks of every governor going forward. However proud I was to make sure this snap election was carried out fairly, I still feel deep down inside how dearly wasteful this GQP political theater cost us.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

My county went 52/48 for Newsom and even Orange County went 52/47 for Newsom, not like LA County with 70/29, but he got over 50%.

The two Californias.
https://electionresults.sos.ca.gov/retu ... nor-recall

With a current estimated 42% voter turnout, average for special elections in CA is 40%.
https://electionresults.sos.ca.gov/retu ... er-turnout