More stupid in public with Sidney Powell

You tube..generally don't watch these cuz they make me angry but Sidney Powell, you know, that airhead attorney, who's defense after getting sued for spouting 'rigged election' nonsense was 'these claims or so ridiculous, nobody whould believe them".....was on some sort of presentation in Texas(imagine that)...and said..(paraphrased)..."Biden could just be removed, told to leave the WH..and a new inauguration date set for trump"..teeny crowd cheers..are these people REALLY that stupid? Rhetorical and yes they are.

Re: More stupid in public with Sidney Powell

The "no reasonable person" defense paints 45's supporters as unreasonable--that is, stupid, uneducated, and easily conned. It's out there for them to see. They may not, but we all just laugh at them.

I don't see how supporting a violent coup is protected speech, but then, IANAL.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

That 39% believe they're all in the same party. Hells bells, even if it's just 30%, they have us outnumbered by lots. Didn't one of our sociology people have a better set of numbers broken down by ideology?

The point of propaganda isn't merely to motivate the extremists. It also renders extremism acceptable to the people who might otherwise stand in the way.

Sidney Powell, former President Donald Trump's ex-attorney, told the audience at a QAnon conference on Saturday that President Joe Biden should be removed from office and Trump should be "reinstated" as president.

Powell, who's filed dozens of unsuccessful lawsuits attempting to overturn 2020 election results, falsely told the crowd that Trump could still be inaugurated, but he wouldn't get credit for "time lost."

"He can simply be reinstated," she said, eliciting cheers from the Dallas crowd.

"A new inauguration day is set and Biden is told to move out of the White House. And President Trump should be moved back in. I'm sure there's not going to be credit for time lost, unfortunately, because the Constitution sets the date for inauguration, but he should definitely get the remainder of his term and make the most of it."

Powell, a longtime promoter of the QAnon conspiracy theory, wore a leather biker vest adorned with political and religious patches, including one that read "MAGA" and another with, "No God No Peace Know God Know Peace." Dominion Voting Systems filed a $1.3 billion defamation lawsuit against Powell earlier this year, accusing her of helping push "a viral disinformation campaign" that spread dangerous lies about the election and the company.

The three-day conference, called For God & Country: Patriot Roundup, featured other prominent Trump world figures, including Trump's former national security adviser, Michael Flynn, Texas Republican Rep. Louie Gohmert, and chairman of the Texas Republican Party, Allen West.
https://www.businessinsider.com/ex-trum ... ent-2021-5

A three day conference of suckers who'd believe anything. When deposed in the Dominion lawsuit she'll probably steal Alex Jones line that she's an entertainer and it's not real.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:58 am Flynn actually said we should have a Myanmar-type military coup because TFG "won" the popular and electoral vote, which he didn't.
Flynn can be charged with, I believe, sedition, for advocating for the violent overthrow of our government.
Your would 'think', when these knuckleheads say they want a military coup, 'because TFG won', use that as rationale....after showing that there is NO evidence or proof of a rigged election..that would key the FBI but, it doesn't....

CDFingers wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:26 am The "no reasonable person" defense paints 45's supporters as unreasonable--that is, stupid, uneducated, and easily conned. It's out there for them to see. They may not, but we all just laugh at them.

I don't see how supporting a violent coup is protected speech, but then, IANAL.

CDFingers
I gotta say, I'm a bit shocked at how much protections there are with the 1st Amendment. Turns out, it applies to a whole lot of things I never associated with free speech.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

The 1st is a complex amendment, and it covers a lot of tangentially related stuff. Assembly, religion, speech and the press, off the top of my head. I think QAnon has the quad-fecta going. But the glaring exception to all 1A rights is inciting violence. Fighting words? Not protected. Sedition? Not protected. Human sacrifice? Not protected. Much. Unless you're running an asylum or a church school for native kids, but that's a totally different thread unless we derail this one.

wings wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:19 pm The 1st is a complex amendment, and it covers a lot of tangentially related stuff. Assembly, religion, speech and the press, off the top of my head. I think QAnon has the quad-fecta going. But the glaring exception to all 1A rights is inciting violence. Fighting words? Not protected. Sedition? Not protected. Human sacrifice? Not protected. Much. Unless you're running an asylum or a church school for native kids, but that's a totally different thread unless we derail this one.
Your correct. As the courts have ruled, don’t yell fire in the theater unless there is a real fire.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Looks like she just shot herself in the foot again.
Adam Rawnsley, Asawin Suebsaeng
Tue, June 8, 2021, 9:21 AM·4

To protect herself from a billion-dollar defamation lawsuit, the Trumpist lawyer was supposed to stick to her wacky opinions that a voting technology company somehow stole the 2020 U.S. presidential election, and not try to present the conspiracy theory as a matter of fact.

But she couldn’t help herself. And now, legal experts tell The Daily Beast, she may be in even-more serious trouble.

Powell drew nationwide attention last month for her ’s bizarre claim at a Dallas MAGA rally that the twice-impeached former President Trump could be “reinstated” as commander-in-chief. Buta little-noticed portion of that appearance on May 29 may prove to be more consequential. In it, she likely damaged one of the core arguments her lawyers are using to try to fend off the billion-dollar lawsuit over her baseless claims about the 2020 U.S. presidential election.

Dominion Voting Systems and Smartmatic have filed multi-billion dollar suits against Powell and others for defamation over her public claims about the company and its products, including her wild assertion that its software was part of Venezuelan plot to steal elections and created masses of fake votes for Biden. In response, Powell’s attorneys have tried to argue that her statements were not meant to be factual—but rather legally protected statements of opinion.

Even for the Trumpist Conspiracy-Peddler Sidney Powell, This Was ‘Weird as Shit’

In a March 22 motion to dismiss in the Dominion suit, Powell’s attorneys argued that “no reasonable person would conclude that the statements were truly statements of fact” and that they are simply “her opinions and legal theories on a matter of utmost public concern.” (In the United States, statements of opinion are protected from defamation claims if they cannot be “proven as fact” or if they use “loose, figurative, or hyperbolic language which would negate the impression that the writer was seriously maintaining” a position as fact.)

But a half-hour into the panel at the Dallas Patriot Roundup late last month, Powell appeared to veer away from the defense her attorneys had set out, according to multiple videos reviewed by The Daily Beast.

“I don’t think they realized that some of us litigators were going to catch on and hold their feet to the fire and expose what really happened or that they could shut us up by, say, suing me for 4.3 billion dollars in three different states,” Powell said at the panel discussion. “Threatening me is like waving a red flag in a bull’s face.”

Dominion’s suit against her should be dismissed, Powell continued, because “number one, they don't have jurisdiction over us and number two, we meant what we said and we have the evidence to back it up.”

At the very least, the statement was a tactical error, defamation law experts say—one could come back to haunt her in court.

“That seems like an extremely damaging admission from Ms. Powell that eviscerates her main defense, which is based on a distortion of the opinion doctrine to begin with,” Ted Boutrous Jr, an attorney at Gibson Dunn and an expert on defamation law, told The Daily Beast. “Dominion will have a field day with this statement in opposing her efforts to dismiss the case before trial, and before the jury if and when the case goes to trial.”

But Powell went further. In the event Dominion’s suits against her and her legal defense organization, Defending the Republic, aren’t tossed out, “then we will get discovery against Dominion and we will be on offense,” she added.

“Powell’s rather odd statement certainly won’t help her defense,” said Sam Terilli, a professor at the University of Miami’s School of Communication and the former general counsel for the Miami Herald. “It’s just hard to know in advance, but it clearly could be a problem.”

Sidney Powell’s ‘Just Kidding’ Defense Is Seriously, Literally Nuts

“Her stance ‘I can prove it’ is definitely inconsistent with her lawyers’ stance “nobody would take it as anything but opinion,’ added Ken White, a First Amendment lawyer and ex-federal prosecutor. “It’s tricky, though. Generally at this stage, a court wouldn’t be considering extrinsic evidence like her statements — they consider what’s in the complaint and what’s in public record (like court filings, etc.). The way it could play out is that the judge ignores it for now but revisits it at a later stage (like summary judgment) if the claims against her survive.”

Attorneys for Powell did not immediately respond to a request for comment from The Daily Beast.

Powell is one of a handful of pro-Trump figures whose post-election claims about Dominion and Smartmatic voting systems have prompted defamation suits. Smartmatic and Dominion have both filed suits against Powell, Trump attorney Rudy Giuliani, and Fox News. In addition, Dominion has also sued Trump ally and pillow magnate Mike Lindell for his dizzying array of claims about the company’s products.

https://news.yahoo.com/sidney-powell-ju ... 26316.html
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

highdesert wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:56 pm Her lawyers can give her guidance, but they can't make her take it. The Dominion lawsuit is civil and near the beginning there will be discovery and depositions and hers should be interesting especially if it gets leaked.
I think Discovery will be even more interesting...and again, hopefully much of it is leaked. But yeah, I can't wait for a transcript of her deposition is posted in the New York Times where she's forced to admit she's completely full of shit, always was full of shit, and always will be full of shit.

FrontSight wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:47 pm
highdesert wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:56 pm Her lawyers can give her guidance, but they can't make her take it. The Dominion lawsuit is civil and near the beginning there will be discovery and depositions and hers should be interesting especially if it gets leaked.
I think Discovery will be even more interesting...and again, hopefully much of it is leaked. But yeah, I can't wait for a transcript of her deposition is posted in the New York Times where she's forced to admit she's completely full of shit, always was full of shit, and always will be full of shit.

She put L. Lin Wood on her legal team.
Wood made a name for himself in the weeks after Trump’s loss to Joe Biden by claiming that Dominion was part of a vast conspiracy to flip millions of votes away from Trump with the help of thousands of corrupt election workers and foreign hackers.
The circus is coming to town.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan