P10S slide stuck

Now, this one is weird for me.

As noted in the title, it's a CZ P10S. I last fired it less than a week ago (Tuesday, and today is Monday). After I got home from that, I cleaned it, and cycled the action several times including a dry fire with no issues. Put it in the safe, and since the work site doesn't want me carrying, left it there until today (had another carry piece available, too). Holstered it today, as normal (note to self, be extra certain to clear the thing when removing it from the safe), and typically carry "Israeli-style."

When I got home and went to put the gun in the safe, the magazine release was REALLY hard to manipulate compared to its normal control effort. Odd. Then I tried to rack the slide to assure the chamber was clear, and even with twice normal effort, the slide would only move half a millimeter to a millimeter.

And I for darned sure wasn't going to pull the trigger.

I have a coworker who has some gunsmithing experience--used to have a shop at one of the nearby ranges (albeit one I kind of avoid due to the sort of politics that brought me here instead of to a MAGAt-land site). He is going to look at the thing in a few days when our shifts overlap.

But I'm wondering what has happened?

And, when/if whoever does so figures it out, I will update here.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

Re: P10S slide stuck

Thanks, Hiker! I'll look at that.

Also: thinking on this a bit, I remembered that this thing got dropped from roughly waist level, perhaps chest level, to a carpeted floor. I was spooked a bit as it happened, but recall reading that this pistol is "drop safe," and it didn't go bang because there wasn't a round in the chamber, anyway.

And I'm STILL not going to pull the trigger until I've cleared the gun and done some function checks.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

lurker wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:51 am get a pen or pencil, stick it in the barrel, see how far it goes in. that will tell you if there's a round in the chamber.
I didn't get that far. I did count the rounds in the magazine that was in the pistol (and the spare magazine I carry, just in case I had switched them), and both had twelve rounds. Since I wasn't carrying with one in the chamber, I had reasonable assurance that there wasn't one in there. I still was careful about where the thing was pointing and didn't pull the trigger until later.

I got impatient, and peered in through the magazine well, comparing what I saw to what I could see in my P10F. The gap where the extraction rim of a chambered cartridge would be was more visible in the "stuck" gun, implying that the slide had not gone all the way into battery or had been pushed back a little bit when I dropped the gun yesterday and some part of the mechanism had gotten caught out of its normal place.

I started manipulating the slide a bit more, and found I could get it far enough back that the disassembly plate would release the slide for disassembly. I compared the pieces to those of my P10F, and could not find anything amiss. The recoil spring is in fine shape (Thanks, Hiker, for the tip--I'll be watching that when I clean the gun going forward). I tried to just reassemble the slide to the frame, but it still would not rack all the way to the rear. I removed the slide from the frame again, and figured that at this point, pulling the trigger wouldn't hurt anything that hadn't already been broken. The action in the frame cycled (I heard a click), so I reassembled the gun.

It is now cycling normally--at least in a room separate from any ammunition.

As many here know, part of disassembly for cleaning is to clear the weapon, pull the trigger, THEN pull the slide back four or five millimeters to manipulate the disassembly plate and release the slide for removal.

So I think the problem came about because I had dropped it. When it hit the floor, the slide moved a little bit relative to the frame, and something in the rear insert was sticking up at just the wrong millisecond.

The takeaway for me is that if I drop the gun again, cycle the action before doing anything else with the gun. If it won't cycle, disassemble it if I can. If I am in a situation where I don't have time to disassemble it, it's an expensive rock.

senorgrand wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:17 pm that's a weird one...
Yes, it is. I looked for unusual wear points (since I have the virtually-identical P10F as a comparison), and didn't see anything.

As I mentioned at the top of the thread, I have a colleague at work who used to own a gunsmith shop. I plan to take both to him in a couple days and have him look them over to be sure there is nothing I need to repair in the P10S before firing it again. *I* don't see anything amiss, but his eyes are better trained for this.

Update:
Had my colleague that is a former gunsmith look at the gun. He couldn't find anything wrong, suggested I go through a few magazines of bullets. Did that today.

The gun ran fine--no misfeeds, no misfires, no troubles.

The magazine release still feels a little stiff, but that could be my own paranoia.

Took it apart when I got home, and things look fine inside.

Such a weird thing...

Further update:

As I noted, the magazine release felt stiff. I decided to see what I could do about that. Since it's a fairly new CZ P10-series, I know that the release can be turned around for use with one's left thumb if one shoots left-handed. I figured there would be instructions for doing that in the manual that came with the gun, but no. YouTube, of course, has videos for EVERYTHING, and some of them are even worth watching, so I watched a couple videos, and took the slide release out.

I was a little bit shocked to find that the spring and pin inside the release had a film of rust. I dismantled it, cleaned it, put a drop of Lucas Gun Oil on it, wiped it down, put it together, and tried it out.

Ahhh....MUCH better!

I looked at the CZ Parts web site, and noted that I could, if I wanted to spend $90 plus shipping and handling and taxes, buy a mag release with an anodized button on the end, and for another $40 or so could buy a matching (or contrasting) plate for the back end of the slide.

Or I could go to another site and spend $4 for a replacement pin and spring set.

So, it wasn't my paranoia, but the pin inside really was being hard to move. That I didn't notice it until I had dropped the damned gun in the first place has me scratching my head, wondering if I'm going daft and not noticing stuff I really should be noticing.

lurker wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:30 am well that didn't take long, did it?
sorry to hear about your testosterone problem, mr trobertson1969. it happens to the best of us, but if 1969 is your date of birth, i'd suspect some other issue. maybe a talk with your physician or psychiatrist is in order?
Clearly I missed a spam post. Thanks for ridding the board of it.