Re: Taurus snubbies

Yeah, well, they certainly work. Can’t sez that I luv’em.
.38 is a standard revolver round. 9mm will use Star-clips or sumthin which typically means slower reloads, but much cheaper to punch holes in paper with. That may be worth the premium you’ll pay over just a plain ‘ol .38 snubby.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Northern wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:10 pm Anyone have any experience with Taurus snubbies? Which models? I’m considering something in .38 or 9mm. Purpose: pocket carry (holstered).
Son had one. 605..100% reliable but he(and I) didn't love to shoot it. Pretty snappy even with 38Special...YMMV, and all that. Good 'get off me' gun...
Other son carries a Colt Detective Special..6 round snubbie..a 'little' easier to shoot but still pretty snappy, for us.

I'd certainly shoot one first and interestingly, except for height, actually 'about' the same size a a Glock 43X.

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/glo ... urus-605-2

My 942 will get outta Cali day care on Thursday. Will probably get to the range with it on Monday (Friday if I'm very lucky.)

It is only a double-deuce (very bad arthritis), but I will report back. As I've noted elsewhere, they are insanely hard to find in any flavor of .22 -- two inch barrel, three inch, LR or WMR. It does seem like the WMRs sell out first, which makes sense. That's what I would have gotten if it was on the roster.

Model 85's, as others have already mentioned, are good stuff. I've tended to like Taurus revolvers. Their semi-autos can be a little finicky, but the wheelguns have proved pretty reliable.

People above have mentioned that the .38 Special is a bit snappy out of small snubnose like the Taurus 85. The same is true of the S&W J-frame and the Ruger LCR. Remember, these are pocket carry guns, and Newton's Laws of Motion most certainly apply.

This is why I developed our "powder-puff" .38 Special load back in late 2009 or thereabouts. With its 105gr cast bullet and wadcutter-level charge of Bullseye or Titegroup, it chronos at the same speed as factory .38 Special ammo (850 ft/sec), but its felt recoil is considerably less than standard factory ammo. This handload makes regular practice with even a featherweight pocket revolver like the LCR actually kind of fun instead of somewhat painful. My wife, BTW, loves this load, and I found that I like it a lot, too.

There are advantages to handloading beyond just reducing the cost per round. The above is one example.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

CowboyT wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:20 pm
There are advantages to handloading beyond just reducing the cost per round.
I never, ever would have thought of that. What a great frickin' idea.

The only time I ever shot a hand-loaded cartridge, it was indeed a .357 wheel gun, (though long barrel) but... I think my buddy basically had the opposite goal: To pack in as much powder as possible.

I went rock climbing for the first time immediately after that, which was really interesting, because I was deaf in one ear pretty much for the rest of the weekend. "On belay!" "What?!" "On belay!" "Yeah, it's a nice day. Can I start climbing the damn rock yet?!"

All very good info. I’m trying to balance the convenience of carrying a snubbie with the inevitable unpleasantness of practicing shooting one. I shoot a lot (mostly semi auto pistols) and want a revolver that I can practice shooting without feeling like I get beaten up. I might have to look at somewhat larger frame sizes, like Colt King Cobra carry or the short barrel version of Kimber K6S.

Northern wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:24 am All very good info. I’m trying to balance the convenience of carrying a snubbie with the inevitable unpleasantness of practicing shooting one. I shoot a lot (mostly semi auto pistols) and want a revolver that I can practice shooting without feeling like I get beaten up. I might have to look at somewhat larger frame sizes, like Colt King Cobra carry or the short barrel version of Kimber K6S.
If you go here
https://www.handgunhero.com/

You will find that many semi-autos are in fact, smaller and thinner than many revolvers, even snubbies. Or at least, 'about' the same size, but thinner,

As an example..Glock 43x and Ruger LCR

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/glo ... -ruger-lcr

Northern wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:24 am All very good info. I’m trying to balance the convenience of carrying a snubbie with the inevitable unpleasantness of practicing shooting one. I shoot a lot (mostly semi auto pistols) and want a revolver that I can practice shooting without feeling like I get beaten up. I might have to look at somewhat larger frame sizes, like Colt King Cobra carry or the short barrel version of Kimber K6S.
Lordy. Another 327 Federal candidate. Shoot 32 S&W Long for practice. Not even remotely unpleasant even out of my LCR. And 327 is more than adequate for self defense while 32 H&R is perfectly viable as well. A damn shame ammo manufacturers aren't supporting it.

F4FEver wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:02 am
If you go here
https://www.handgunhero.com/

You will find that many semi-autos are in fact, smaller and thinner than many revolvers, even snubbies. Or at least, 'about' the same size, but thinner,

As an example..Glock 43x and Ruger LCR

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/glo ... -ruger-lcr
I’m well aware of this and have reasons why I’m not gravitating toward the kind of semi autos that you are suggesting. It’s not just about size, it’s about the convenience of the safety afforded by double action revolver triggers over the Glock trigger for the specific kind of carry I want to do, as well as other operating features of those guns that don’t work for me for my own personal reasons.

I don’t mean to sound curt, but I specifically started this thread because I’m looking at revolvers and wanted to hear about experiences with some that I’m considering. I advisedly did not ask for unsolicited recommendations of semi autos.

I'll second the thought. I carried a LW J frame for 20 years, but the new pocket .380's are just better in every way. 12 rounds, tritium night sight, reliable, light, and flat, cheap...Ruger LCP Max. The LCP has much less felt recoil so its easier to shoot and control, even for smaller hands.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

The 2" K6s is excellent with .38 Special - certainly no more recoil impulse than .380. Sure, it stings after a while shooting .357, but while a semiauto in .380 or 9mm can gain a significant increase in capacity, it cannot match .357 Magnum for capability. Large capacity semiautos own the niche for self defense against - admittedly rare threat of - multiple armed attackers, but if wild animals are a potential threat then a revolver offers greater power and penetration. Not to mention flexibility between low-power wadcutters vs. magnum hollowpoints.

OTOH, revolvers will be louder and recoil more. That's just physics. Me, I like the recoil but ear protection is my best friend and dearest confidante.

FrontSight wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:41 pm I'll second the thought. I carried a LW J frame for 20 years, but the new pocket .380's are just better in every way. 12 rounds, tritium night sight, reliable, light, and flat, cheap...Ruger LCP Max. The LCP has much less felt recoil so its easier to shoot and control, even for smaller hands.
I'd like to try that LCP Max. I have the original LCP and with my big fat hands really does not bother me. I carry that thing all summer. I'd like a few extra rounds. It could go with my Ruger Max-9 as a BUG > that I love but alas the wife stole it in favor of the LCP even with the laser I put on it.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

wings wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:41 pm
The 2" K6s is excellent with .38 Special - certainly no more recoil impulse than .380. Sure, it stings after a while shooting .357, but while a semiauto in .380 or 9mm can gain a significant increase in capacity, it cannot match .357 Magnum for capability. Large capacity semiautos own the niche for self defense against - admittedly rare threat of - multiple armed attackers, but if wild animals are a potential threat then a revolver offers greater power and penetration. Not to mention flexibility between low-power wadcutters vs. magnum hollowpoints.

OTOH, revolvers will be louder and recoil more. That's just physics. Me, I like the recoil but ear protection is my best friend and dearest confidante.
Thanks for the reply that actually relates to what I’m looking into. I haven’t had the chance to shoot a Kimber revolver but I really liked the feel of the trigger pull on the ones that I’ve held.

Since you're talking about pocket carry, then I would suggest an all-steel version. Don't go for the ultralights. My Dad carried a S&W all-stainless J-frame for years, and it is that gun that saved him on numerous occasions (he had a blued J-frame originally). In both cases, it was the shrouded hammer, thus double-action only.

There was one time when he had his J-frame in his coat pocket. I have that very coat today and do sometimes wear it in winter. One night, some would-be assailants came at him to hurt him. He reached into that pocket where his J-frame was and pointed it right at them, with the hand and J-frame still in his coat pocket. His plan was to shoot right through the pocket if they didn't turn and leave him alone. Fortunately, they did take off, but this illustrates the advantage of a small J-frame revolver. You can shoot in a pocket and keep firing (nothing to catch on the pocket's internals). You may have five...but you will actually get all five.

The Taurus 85 is the same thing, just made by Taurus. There are versions of the 85, the exposed hammer and the shrouded hammer. I would suggest the shrouded hammer for your style of carry.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

FrontSight wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:41 pm I'll second the thought. I carried a LW J frame for 20 years, but the new pocket .380's are just better in every way. 12 rounds, tritium night sight, reliable, light, and flat, cheap...Ruger LCP Max. The LCP has much less felt recoil so its easier to shoot and control, even for smaller hands.
I don’t mean to sound curt, but I specifically started this thread because I’m looking at revolvers and wanted to hear about experiences with some that I’m considering. I advisedly did not ask for unsolicited recommendations of semi autos.
Oh well...stand by, or maybe not...maybe his name is 'curt'....BTW-T tried to carry a 5 shot, Taurus 380 revolver and when comparing it to another gun, just didn't see the point BUT....
Last edited by F4FEver on Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Back on topic to Taurus revolvers. I don’t have a Taurus snubbie, but I do have this Taurus M82 “k-frame” clone - chambered in .38 +P. It has been a reliable and serviceable revolver in every way. It’s my “truck” revolver that I leave in my truck locked compartment; and it gets shot a decent amount Becuase it’s always where I am. It gets carried a decent amount Because of impromptu hikes & walks on the way home from work etc. Just light enough to be a decent trail pistol. The blueing is as nice as some of my old smiths & better than any of my Rugers. However, it’s a user that I’m not afraid to use in a “workman” like manner.

I wouldn’t hesitate to pick up a Taurus snubby and put it through it’s paces, I just don’t have a reasonable need for one & have that portion of my battery complete.

Like any carry gun, I tend to shoot it quite a bit before I rely on it for carry duty.

I think about the only “fair” criticism of revolvers for carry is the limited capacity. Almost any other limitation can be trained to. Heavy DA trigger pull? Can definitely be overcome with training and range time. I prefer a long consistent pull with a clean break over just about any factory polymer pistol trigger I’ve owned. The Taurus M82 I own has just that - a clean breaking trigger pull. That seems to be the most important variable in pistol shooting accuracy for me.

Plus I can load (or buy) a .38 +P to have that much more velocity and a heavier bullet than a .380. A 9mm carry round roughly approximates a .38 +p.

Not to hate on you .380 carriers - I’m sure given a “reasonable” sized pistol it’s a great carry round. (I’m thinking something like a CZ 83 or beretta 84.) The Kel-etc micro .380 I own is all but un-shootable being light, terrible trigger, and having almost non-existent sights. Basically, a “contact” pistol. I can’t shoot any pistol under about 15 ozs of weight worth a damn. The Ruger LCP max is 11 oz. With a short grip; I just know it won’t work for me. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

INVICTVS138 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:40 am Back on topic to Taurus revolvers. I don’t have a Taurus snubbie, but I do have this Taurus M82 “k-frame” clone - chambered in .38 +P. It has been a reliable and serviceable revolver in every way. It’s my “truck” revolver that I leave in my truck locked compartment; and it gets shot a decent amount Becuase it’s always where I am. It gets carried a decent amount Because of impromptu hikes & walks on the way home from work etc. Just light enough to be a decent trail pistol. The blueing is as nice as some of my old smiths & better than any of my Rugers. However, it’s a user that I’m not afraid to use in a “workman” like manner.

I wouldn’t hesitate to pick up a Taurus snubby and put it through it’s paces, I just don’t have a reasonable need for one & have that portion of my battery complete.

Like any carry gun, I tend to shoot it quite a bit before I rely on it for carry duty.

I think about the only “fair” criticism of revolvers for carry is the limited capacity. Almost any other limitation can be trained to. Heavy DA trigger pull? Can definitely be overcome with training and range time. I prefer a long consistent pull with a clean break over just about any factory polymer pistol trigger I’ve owned. The Taurus M82 I own has just that - a clean breaking trigger pull. That seems to be the most important variable in pistol shooting accuracy for me.

Plus I can load (or buy) a .38 +P to have that much more velocity and a heavier bullet than a .380. A 9mm carry round roughly approximates a .38 +p.

Not to hate on you .380 carriers - I’m sure given a “reasonable” sized pistol it’s a great carry round. (I’m thinking something like a CZ 83 or beretta 84.) The Kel-etc micro .380 I own is all but un-shootable being light, terrible trigger, and having almost non-existent sights. Basically, a “contact” pistol. I can’t shoot any pistol under about 15 ozs of weight worth a damn. The Ruger LCP max is 11 oz. With a short grip; I just know it won’t work for me. YMMV.

Thanks, this is really on point as far as experience with Taurus goes. And I appreciate the perspective regarding what I have felt are reasonable grounds to choose to carry a small revolver rather than a (garbage) micro semi auto that is apparently favored by some mansplainers.

The experience of this mansplainer is that pretty much everyone shoots a semi-auto better than they shoot revolvers. There are always exceptions, but I'd at least invite someone to try and consider. But if a revolver is just your thing, then by all means carry a revolver!!

While I don't carry revolvers for defense anymore, I will admit I prefer shooting revolvers whenever possible.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

FrontSight wrote:The experience of this mansplainer is that pretty much everyone shoots a semi-auto better than they shoot revolvers. There are always exceptions, but I'd at least invite someone to try and consider. But if a revolver is just your thing, then by all means carry a revolver!!

While I don't carry revolvers for defense anymore, I will admit I prefer shooting revolvers whenever possible.
I would generally agree with a few caveats. Most “new(er)” pistol shooters can shoot a duty sized or compact sized (not sub compact or micro) semi-auto pistol better. I say this as an instructor having trained several dozen brand new pistol shooters.

However, I’m one of the few in the likely tiny minority category where it’s probably a wash. I just went to the range this weds and shot my Ruger SP 101 (shooting .38 special decently hot hand-loads) “just about as well” as my Cz 83 .32 ACP. By most people’s accounts the CZ has a better SA trigger, and is a heavier pistol for a fairly low power caliber. I like shooting both!!!

However, I say this being a revolver shooter for well over a decade to “become proficient” (yet not master) it, and a former USPSA revolver division competitor.

So with time & experience you can become roughly equivalent. But in my experience it does take some time. So for the vast majority of people a “compact” 9x19 (or similar) is the most versatile defensive/EDC pistol, with the most common ammo.

If OP wants to carry a revolver and has the time to if not maste but become proficient at typical defensive ranges with it; the training cost and ammo cost are in my view; more important than Taurus vs S&W vs Ruger …etc.

Nice truck revolver, Invitvs! Bet it feels as comfortable as a well worn leather wallet in the hands.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi