Ruger Blackhawk

1
I really hate internet threads about if you can only have one handgun what would it be. I've never been in a situation where I could only have one handgun. But back in 1976 my future wife and I made a move from Mpls to Two harbors Mn because of my job plus we both wanted to get away from Mpls. By that time I had accumulated a small collection of guns including 5 handguns. Something had to go, the first to go was a little Colt 25acp, next was much harder my Colt MKIV 1911, then my Browning Hi Power and my Marlin 444. What I kept was my Blackhawk convertible in 45, and my MKI target with a 5.5 in. barrel. The Blackhawk had a 7.5 in. barrel and it was a sixgun that could do anything. It now has a much handier 5.5 barrel and can spend a day without fatiguing me on my hip. The single action is the most iconic handgun in the Americas, its the handgun that people think of when they think of the Americas. I feel that the Ruger Blackhawk is the best buy of all the different single actions available. Depending on the area some one lives in there is a caliber that will fit any situation that calls for the use of a handgun whether for protection from man or animal a single action all though not the first choice will still save your bacon if you know how to shoot it properly. Plus it is truly a premier hunting handgun. It is very robust and has its own loading tables in reloading manuals because of it. I guess if I was restricted to only one centerfire handgun it would be my Blackhawk. I feel it is Bill Rugers crowning achievement in handgun design.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

Re: Ruger Blackhawk

2
I had been "gunless" after I gave up my Thompson Contender 223 as the only place to shoot was a gun club that tolerated the NRA as a liberal organization. I kept looking at different guns then I finally decided screw it,I love shooting. I also discovered the LGC. I bought a blackhawk 357 with a 6.5 inch barrel. I love it. The single is action is simple and sturdy. It handles everything from mild 38 wade cutters to full power 357.It is accurate , easy to clean, and comfortable to shot. I still lust after other guns but if I couldn't have them I would be happy with the ruger, though sad I couldn't have others. Gun ownership is NOT like a marriage where you promise to have one and no others. Polygunnery is permitted though there may be a favorite.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Ben Franklin
Beto in wisconsin

Re: Ruger Blackhawk

5
I have a single six convertible in 22, a single six mag in 32 H&R, a single six bird's head in 32 H&R, a Blackhawk in 357, 3 Blackhawks in 45 Colt (one is a convertible), a Lipsey's Flattop in 44 Special, and a stainless Lipsey's Flattop convertible in 45. I love my Rugers.

Re: Ruger Blackhawk

6
punkinlobber wrote:I have a single six convertible in 22, a single six mag in 32 H&R, a single six bird's head in 32 H&R, a Blackhawk in 357, 3 Blackhawks in 45 Colt (one is a convertible), a Lipsey's Flattop in 44 Special, and a stainless Lipsey's Flattop convertible in 45. I love my Rugers.
I think the flat top bisley from Lipsey in 44spec for a reloader could be the best "only" gun there is. I know I'm talking from an sportsmans point of view but where I live personal defense on the street is not a priority. Plus I'm basing this on centerfire.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

Re: Ruger Blackhawk

7
I agree on the Blackhawk: strong as any action out there, these are built to take tough loads.

When you think about it, if, god forbid, you had to use your gun in self defense, it's likely to be against a single assailant. If you pick a large bore, heavy bullet, with good velocity, and you use good shot placement, it's likely you'll only need to fire one shot. So, a single action is not bad. "One Riot. One Ranger." They carried single actions...

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: Ruger Blackhawk

9
CDFingers wrote:I agree on the Blackhawk: strong as any action out there, these are built to take tough loads.

When you think about it, if, god forbid, you had to use your gun in self defense, it's likely to be against a single assailant. If you pick a large bore, heavy bullet, with good velocity, and you use good shot placement, it's likely you'll only need to fire one shot. So, a single action is not bad. "One Riot. One Ranger." They carried single actions...

CDFingers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Rang ... _Ranger.22
Image
Image
Image

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Re: Ruger Blackhawk

10
My Lipsey's Flattop 44 Special is a beautiful firearm that I gave a trigger job to with the hammer falling on a clean, crisp, 3 pound trigger pull. The grips were replaced with CLC flat bottomed grips of spalted maple. I shoot 240 cast SWC lead bullets on top of 7 grains of unique. Groups are approximately 1 and 1/4 inches at 25 yards.

Re: Ruger Blackhawk

11
punkinlobber wrote:My Lipsey's Flattop 44 Special is a beautiful firearm that I gave a trigger job to with the hammer falling on a clean, crisp, 3 pound trigger pull. The grips were replaced with CLC flat bottomed grips of spalted maple. I shoot 240 cast SWC lead bullets on top of 7 grains of unique. Groups are approximately 1 and 1/4 inches at 25 yards.
Getting off topic and just talking about the 44 caliber what I shoot in my only 44 which is a S&W 624 with a 3" barrel is a 250gr Kieth SWC over 5 grs of red dot. Its the only load that gun will ever see. I would so much love to play around with a flat top in 44spec. Sure would like to see a pic of your gun with those custom grips. Spalted maple is beautiful.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

Re: Ruger Blackhawk

19
20 years ago, a friend introduced me to one, John Linebaugh of Cody Wyoming. He took my 7.5" 45 Colt Blackhawk, cut the barrel down to 4 3/4", put a Super Blackhawk grip on it, tuned it up, put an over sized base pin in it and a new cylinder punched out from a 44 Mag Vaquero Ruger to 45 Colt(so I could keep the fluted cylinder).

My main load is a 265gr SWC Keith from a RCBS mold over HS 6 or 2400 which runs around 1000fps. My heavy load is a LFN LBT 325gr over H110 for around 1250fps.

Shown below next to my Charter Arms Bulldog 44 Sp.

Image
The most practical kind of politics is the politics of decency.
Theodore Roosevelt

Re: Ruger Blackhawk

20
punkinlobber wrote:He uses beautiful wood and makes beautiful grips.
He's active on Lee Martins sixshooter site. Did you have to send the grip frame to him?
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

Re: Ruger Blackhawk

21
DCG wrote:20 years ago, a friend introduced me to one, John Linebaugh of Cody Wyoming. He took my 7.5" 45 Colt Blackhawk, cut the barrel down to 4 3/4", put a Super Blackhawk grip on it, tuned it up, put an over sized base pin in it and a new cylinder punched out from a 44 Mag Vaquero Ruger to 45 Colt(so I could keep the fluted cylinder).

My main load is a 265gr SWC Keith from a RCBS mold over HS 6 or 2400 which runs around 1000fps. My heavy load is a LFN LBT 325gr over H110 for around 1250fps.

Shown below next to my Charter Arms Bulldog 44 Sp.

Image
John Linebaugh started it all, his early work with Ross Seyfreid on the 45 colt is what inspired me to have my BFR made by the Precision center in 45 Colt rather then 454 casull. The BFR is just an industrial strength Blackhawk on steroids.
"Hillary Clinton is the finest, bravest, kindest, the most wonderful person I've ever known in my whole life" Raymond Shaw

Re: Ruger Blackhawk

22
My Rugers are nothing special. They are all hard workers. My first handgun I purchased for myself was a Ruger Super Blackhawk with a 7.5" barrel. A local game warden purchased a SBH. He was trying his new EDC out. He let me shoot it a few times. I walked into the shop and ordered one just his. I have never regretted purchasing that pistol. The SBH has been with me everywhere. It has been through all types of abuse. I have even used the handle butt to drive fencing staples.

Since then I have purchased two more Blackhawks. My next Ruger SA was a 357 mag blackhawk with a 4.5" barrel. It's a sturdy gun and it's small enough to conceal when I am dressed accordingly. Recently I purchased another Blackhawk. My latest is a 357 convertible with a 6.5" barrel. Lately ammo supplies are unpredictable. I couldn't see how I could go wrong by adding the convertible to my collection. The convertible isn't bad with 9mm ammo. I would be ok for self defense purposes with 9mm ammo but it can't compare to the performance I get from 357 ammo.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Wolverines!
"The problem with internet quotes is it is very hard to determine their authenticity." --Abraham Lincoln

Re: Ruger Blackhawk

23
eelj wrote:besides being an everymans gun, it is also a canvas for the gun makers art.
Something about the mid-20th century brute simplicity of Bill Ruger's design seems to resemble a block of marble from which almost anything can be carved. Just like the cars of the mid-century lent themselves to endless modification and re-imagining.

Re: Ruger Blackhawk

24
Add me to the list....of all my guns I think my Blackhawk is the prettiest. I mean, even with the crappy photography, look at it!
bisley.jpg
I greatly enjoy shooting this one, though I'm still mastering the juggling act of unloading the spent brass. Yeah, I think this is one of my favorites. It's Eelj's fault that I bought this beast.
I don't like to think of my self as an artist so much as someone who stares at empty spaces and imagines s--t.

Re: Ruger Blackhawk

25
eelj wrote:
punkinlobber wrote:He uses beautiful wood and makes beautiful grips.
He's active on Lee Martins sixshooter site. Did you have to send the grip frame to him?
No I just made sure that I purchased a grip for the right grip frame style. When I got it there was a very small fitting issue that had to be addressed with a small round file. Five minutes of work and it fit wonderfully.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests