Re: The GP1935 Browning Hi Power Pistol

senorgrand wrote:Shoot a CZ 75...it's wicked accurate and you could pisol-whip a bear to death with one if need be.

I just realized that with my next two sales and my next purchase, other than wheelguns, I'll own all Browning designs. Wow.
I got one in stainless steel, +1 on the pistol whip....it's almost as heavy as my grandads service pistol (Lahti L-35). If I remember correctly the design criteria was a 9mm that could penetrate a helmet with a single whack!!! :roflmao:

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

I really loved my HP, but I have become addicted to anyother John Browning design that was made by FN after being rejected by Colt...the FN 1910/1922. I have 4 of the 1922's, all during or around WWII, all 7.65 Browning/.32ACP, which was John Browning's favorite caliber. His later designs, such as the 1922 and the HP are vast improvements over the 1911 and 1903..and toe grandfather, the Browning 1910 was made until the late 1960's, and then redesigned to beat the 1968 GCA import restrictions as a "target pistol".

There are several very good articles on the HP pistol in the Stephen Camp sticky above...he frequently carried one and was a big advocate for them.

mark
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians." Pat Robertson, failed lawyer, worth over $100 million...

I've never shot or owned a Hi Power. How does it compare to a CZ-75? I've owned several CZ pistols and have loved them all.

The gun in the OP is gorgeous.

As far as the Hi Power being a gun of the Nazis and racists - well, if it's a good product, good guys as well as bad will gravitate toward it. FWIW I think many folks these days gravitate toward the creations of some Austrian dude.

I remember reading a book called "The Operators" which was about undercover British military special ops people who mainly worked in Northern Ireland. Their primary sidearm was a Hi Power. When they were in cars, they had them with 20-round magazines.
"Only the dead have seen the end of war."

"What about zombies?"

"Oh yeah - well, forget what I just said."

FulkFuita wrote:I've never shot or owned a Hi Power. How does it compare to a CZ-75? I've owned several CZ pistols and have loved them all.

The gun in the OP is gorgeous.

As far as the Hi Power being a gun of the Nazis and racists - well, if it's a good product, good guys as well as bad will gravitate toward it. FWIW I think many folks these days gravitate toward the creations of some Austrian dude.

I remember reading a book called "The Operators" which was about undercover British military special ops people who mainly worked in Northern Ireland. Their primary sidearm was a Hi Power. When they were in cars, they had them with 20-round magazines.
I think the Hi Power deserves to be recognized as a "good guy" gun primarily because it did serve as the primary sidearm of the British military for 40-50 years as well as being used by both the Brits and Canadians during WW2. And it does have JMB's finger prints on it.

On another note about the SAS, I've read a couple of Andy McNab's books and it seems those guys were pretty loose in their safety standards in regards to carrying their firearms. I'm sure they knew what they were doing, obviously, but I was still surprised to read about trained operators walking around with their fingers on the triggers of their rifles and carrying pistols "Mexican" style without a holster.

Jerseyite wrote:I think the Hi Power deserves to be recognized as a "good guy" gun primarily because it did serve as the primary sidearm of the British military for 40-50 years as well as being used by both the Brits and Canadians during WW2. And it does have JMB's finger prints on it.
It remains the standard service pistol in the ADF and many other Commonwealth countries. :)
The Drop Bear, Thylarctos plummetus, is a large, arboreal, predatory marsupial related to the Koala.

I bought this one in 1980 and never saw the need to buy another high-capacity 9. It's highly reliable with everything I shoot, but not everything that's sold. For instance, it wouldn't load 147 gr slugs 20 years ago, so I don't use them, but every 115/124 gr hollow point and metal case I've put through it has fed flawlessly. My night table wouldn't feel right without it there. These are Spegal grips in kingwood, IIRC.
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

chevalier wrote:I dunno- I think the racists are buying plastic guns these days- like a lot of the rest of us. Who makes a quality all-metal gun besides SigSauer and still the FN/Browning Hi-Power?
Really depends on your budget. Beretta has several to pick from but they are all full size. They did make some compact inox models iirc.

For a budget all metal gun, try a Bersa Thunder 380 or the real Walther (James Bond gun, not cheap $500+). The Bersa is my carry piece. I love it more than my Berettas. Paid $299 for it. Has lifetime warranty fir the original owner. Simple blowback design. My 8 year old loves it dearly as well. He wants me to give it to him when he is older. I think I will.

Back to the HP. There is one used 40 S&W for sell locally for $600. Really good condition. Might go for it.
I am 2A+

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

I'd like a .40 mmiii with a .357Sig barrel. Not that I am unhappy with 16rds of 9mm, I just think it would be a lot of fun and a nice compliment to my existing BHP. I'd also like an Inglis with a shoulder stock, but that might require a monetary miracle!
The Drop Bear, Thylarctos plummetus, is a large, arboreal, predatory marsupial related to the Koala.

dogngun wrote:
Doc wrote:Handgun of choice for the Commonwealth ... and also Nazis and racists the world over:
I think the young lady with the HP might be Charlize Theron...she's South African.
(Do they all look like that down there?)

mark
I doubt it, that girl will be almost 60 now. The picture is dated 1976 - pre Zimbabwe. I'll take the sterling, by the way.

Chamber's empty, magazine's full, safety's broken.

Czusa has several offerings in the all metal category, and they pretty much all rock. The full size 75/85 feels quite similar to the HP, while my RAMI is almost more like a wide bodied micro 1911, but with a DA/SA setup. Great pistols.
http://www.cz-usa.com/products/by-category/handguns/

I also have to agree on the Bersa, at least in 9mm. It is actually based on the HP, and it's lineage is clear. Fairly bulky, but they're truly ambidextrous, feel solid, and are relatively inexpensive.
Every one you've ever met or will ever meet, knows something you don't. -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Anti-Gravity Activist

Black Lives Matter

HPs were used by the Nazis for the simple reason that they took over production at the FN factory in Belgium from 1940-44. The Germans were not going to let a factory that produced a pistol with a caliber used by their armed forces stand idle.
If a German officer or MP was lucky he was issued a HP or P-38. More likely, especially if he was rear echelon, he was equipped with whatever the German supply train had on hand. That could be anything- a Radom, Astra, Beretta, TT-33, or even a Norwegian copy of the M1911.
PS: I saw the pic of that poor chewed up target. Nice shootin', Tex!
"... the rich rob the poor under the cover of law. We plunder the rich under the cover of our own courage." - Captain " Black Sam" Bellamy ( executed for piracy, 1717).