Re: Ruger MK IV in a biger caliber?

eelj wrote: I would love to have a Ruger Bearcat in 32H&R as just a light kit gun in a caliber that I could reload but they won't make one and I can't afford to pay over 2 grand to have one made.
You could get a .327 SP101 and have someone bubba off most of the under-lug to lighten it. At that stage, it might even be possible to sell it without too much of a discount and with a clear conscience.

It's fun to speculate about going further with the intention of NOT using it with full-pressure .327 ever again: Pare down the frame a bit and maybe have some shallow flutes cut in the barrel. The latter seems particularly questionable and probably misguided, not to mention ugly unless you would pay far too much to have the cuts polished up. Either of these things seem like they would make it unsaleable either practically or morally.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

If Ruger were to produce the MkIV in 32 S&W Long, they would pull the rug out from under the European manufacturers like Walther, Pardini etc. as the MkIV in general comes at approx. half the price in comparison. Ruger would totally own the market for reasonably priced 32 guns and would sell like hot cakes. I find it a bit hard to understand that nobody has just claimed this segment of the market. Great precision with little recoil and cheap reloading with standard components seem to me a fairly OK recipe for success.

Marlene wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:03 pm Blowback operated pistols are generally limited to about the .380 cartridge, with the exception of designs with a LOT of slide mass to take up the recoil (think submachine guns like the Sten or the heavy slide of the High Point). If .32 centerfire were more popular with Americans, a design like the Mark IV would work quite well. I'd really enjoy one chambered for .32 ACP or maybe in .32 S&W Long wadcutter loads only. It would be quite a custom project to build one.
I'd take one in either of those calibres (32 ACP or S&W Wadcutter) since I had already one handgun chambered in each. Well, I have one in 32 S&W Long, but it loves wadcutters anyway.
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.