.577 Boxer Revolver

So I just finished up a series of books called "Johannes Cabal the Necromancer", which was a thoroughly enjoyable set of books, and the lead characters favorite gun was a .577 Webley Boxer revolver. With a bit of research, it appears that it was actually made for a very brief period of time, requiring quite a bit of work to reload it, although a couple of other manufacturers came along with break top versions (also short lived)

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/577-ca ... -revolver/

45 acp on the left
577 Tranter on the right

Alas, as I was poking around to see if one of these mythical beasts was available for sale, and if it was, could it fit into a budget, and I find that because of the size of the caliber, it's in the same category as a howitzer- Subject to NFA, certainly wouldn't be available even if it was on Gunbroker somewhere, regardless of the fact that they were made in the 1800's.

Still. I'd like to shoot the 500 magnum of it's day!
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Re: .577 Boxer Revolver

shinzen wrote:and I find that because of the size of the caliber, it's in the same category as a howitzer- Subject to NFA, certainly wouldn't be available even if it was on Gunbroker somewhere, regardless of the fact that they were made in the 1800's.
not sure about this. the reenacting world is chock-full of .577 (and .58) guns. and howitzers, too.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Got that info here, I'm not an expert with these to be sure: EDIT: Would help if I re-read the whole thing, they are talking about new production, not the antiques. The search for one in my price range begins! :roflmao:
Sadly, the future for newly-made
.577 revolvers is pretty bleak. The
National Firearms Act of 1934 classifies
rifled, breech-loading guns with
bores larger than .5" as “destructive
devices” and levies on the transfer of
such arms a $200 tax. Production for
resale of destructive devices requires a
license costing thousands of dollars a
year to maintain.
Big-bore sporting long arms are
largely exempt but the BATF would
not extend any such sympathy to a
.577 revolver and treats the gun exactly
the same as a 155MM howitzer.
http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/news/ar ... _Bores.pdf
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote:Joel, again you make me utterly jealous. How's it shoot?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I made cartridges from shortened 24 ga plastic shells. It has surprisingly little recoil, but it never did hit my 12" X 12" target at 25'. The cartridge on the left is a .500 Eley revolver cartridge.

They are pretty neat, but yeah, the price for them due to low original production is pretty crazy. If someone build a modern one with the looks of the antiques I might bite. May have to suck it up and just get the smaller caliber version to sate the need.

Joel- have you looked into having a batch of cases turned for it instead? I was reading an article online that was discussing accuracy issues with a modern manufactured one and the comments were that the lube used made a pretty big difference in the Redhawk they converted.

http://www.classicarmsjournal.com/577-revolvers/2/
- Maya Angelou

Not really. I also made .577 pistol cases from 24 ga brass shells. Many years ago I made obsolete cases on my lathe. I found turned cases didn't last as long as cases formed from drawn brass. The only cases I still turn are 577/450, because I like to use smokeless powder in them Essentially you end up with a case with 45/70 capacity.