S&W Model 15?

My LGS has a Model 15 of unknown vintage. It has the diamond grips though. $500. Barely a turn ring and a tiny amount of holster wear.

Thinking of using it as a training gun using 148 wadcutters.

Yeah or nay?

Also, could I shoot +p out of this little gall?

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Re: S&W Model 15?

I have one and it is an exceptional handgun. I have never felt the need to even work up a +p load for it. A coffee can with about 500 target loads in it makes for an enjoyable afternoon of perforating recyclables. The Smith K frame and the 38spec is truly a match made in heaven.

eelj wrote:I have one and it is an exceptional handgun. I have never felt the need to even work up a +p load for it. A coffee can with about 500 target loads in it makes for an enjoyable afternoon of perforating recyclables. The Smith K frame and the 38spec is truly a match made in heaven.

Thanks!

I wouldn't feed it a regular diet of +p, just wondering how it would do if it had to be pressed into SD service.

I plan on feeding it mostly 148 HBWC with a smidge of Trail Boss.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

senorgrand wrote:
eelj wrote:I have one and it is an exceptional handgun. I have never felt the need to even work up a +p load for it. A coffee can with about 500 target loads in it makes for an enjoyable afternoon of perforating recyclables. The Smith K frame and the 38spec is truly a match made in heaven.

Thanks!

I wouldn't feed it a regular diet of +p, just wondering how it would do if it had to be pressed into SD service.

I plan on feeding it mostly 148 HBWC with a smidge of Trail Boss.
I would like to see a comparison test between trail boss and bullseye. I also like red dot for light to mid range with conventional lead bullets. For decades the most common combo for bullseye shooters with the 38 was 2.7 grs of bullseye and the 148gr WC, back in the late 70s the 2.7 gr "surprise" theory hit the news and the magic combo became 2.8grs. With the bullet that I cast I prefer 3.1 grs.

Marlene wrote:Trail Boss sits right between Bullseye and Accurate No 2 on the burn rate charts (a very short distance) right with a bunch of the fastest powders.

What’s the 2.7 grain surprise?
It was all the talk back in the early 80s, I have always been suspicious of its validity but supposedly 2.7grs turned unstable and could blow up a gun. I always figured it was a double charge that some gun writer was too embarrassed to admit too. It's a moot point for me since I have found 3.1 grs to give me consistently tighter groups and I'm no shooting master. I love bullseye and it also has 16ozs in the 1lb jar rather then 8.

As to the 2.7gn thing,
that's a very small charge in a really big case. May have gotten flash-over detonation, which is still being debated. Seems a very small amount in a big case can go all at once rather than the controlled burn desired and pressures can spike crazy-fast.
eelj wrote:
Marlene wrote:Trail Boss sits right between Bullseye and Accurate No 2 on the burn rate charts (a very short distance) right with a bunch of the fastest powders.

What’s the 2.7 grain surprise?
It was all the talk back in the early 80s, I have always been suspicious of its validity but supposedly 2.7grs turned unstable and could blow up a gun. I always figured it was a double charge that some gun writer was too embarrassed to admit too. It's a moot point for me since I have found 3.1 grs to give me consistently tighter groups and I'm no shooting master. I love bullseye and it also has 16ozs in the 1lb jar rather then 8.