Re: Sig Sauer P365

max129 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:02 am Andy, I don't blame you for preferring your Glock. They are well engineered, even if I don't prefer the magazines and the trigger on most. (Just personal preference.)
Andyh said:

Ah, some salt. I don't know what 6 round thing you're talking about. I have 15+1 on one hip and another 15 on the other side.
That is the natural capacity of my Sig P320 Compact - and I do love taking it to the range. But I cannot carry it. I tried for a week using an IWB holster.

My original intent with the P320 Subcompact was to use it as a concealed carry firearm (natural 12 round capacity). And I can carry the SC in the Winter, but not in the Summer. Just a tad too large and prints even with a big baggy tee shirt. So now I have more range guns ;-)

In engineering my team is always telling me, "You can restrict cost, time or quality - pick any 2 and the third will find its natural state." I am seeing the same thing in truly concealable firearms. You can control for ammunition, size or capacity, but if you try to 'have it all', there are compromises.
Yeah, the Compact is bigger than it should be--it's the super-long tailpiece which makes mine almost as long as my full size VP9. You COULD get a sub-compact caliber x-change kit without having to go through the permit process (if your state requires it). They sell on-line for the low to mid $300's rather than the MSRP of $407. Cheaper than a P365.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel I do have the Subcompact as well. And I like it better in most ways than the P365. But is too large to carry in the Summer months for me. IWB rubs me too raw and OWB prints too much. The Subcompact does not really fit in my pocket.

max129 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:43 am YankeeTarheel I do have the Subcompact as well. And I like it better in most ways than the P365. But is too large to carry in the Summer months for me. IWB rubs me too raw and OWB prints too much. The Subcompact does not really fit in my pocket.
Max, what you need is a Derringer! :beer2:
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel said:

Max, what you need is a Derringer!
The only Derringer I have seen that I would trust is the Bond Arms model that shoots 410 shotgun shells.

Bond Arms BASSIV45/410 Snakeslayer IV 2RD. This thing costs $500 discounted at Bud's Gun Shop.

And it is roughly the same size as my S&W 340 M&P, which holds 5 rounds of .38 or .357.

I want to move from carrying the 340 M&P to carrying the P365 for two reasons:
1) Capacity of course, and much faster reload
2) Shootability - my groups with my P365 put my groups with the 340 M&P to shame. And I have practiced for more than 1,000 rounds with my J-Frame 340.

And :beer2: as well.

If you aren't talking g43 or 42, then It's not the same class of firearm. I mean, I love shooting my g34, but I'd rather carry the p365, if it works out.
AndyH wrote:
sorebutton wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:24 am So you are glad other people's new guns don't work perfectly, because it makes you feel better about your soon-to-be outdated 6rd Glock? Well, ok...
AndyH wrote:All this 'hard to rack when full' and hard to seat a mag with one in the chamber really makes me love my Glocks. Thanks guys! ;)
Ah, some salt. I don't know what 6 round thing you're talking about. I have 15+1 on one hip and another 15 on the other side.

And no, I'm not glad that anyone else's firearm doesn't work. My SD guns must must must eat anything and must must must always work. The AK of pistols fits those criteria. And that makes me happy.

PS - you did note the smiley, right? ;)
Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

sorebutton wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:55 pm If you aren't talking g43 or 42, then It's not the same class of firearm. I mean, I love shooting my g34, but I'd rather carry the p365, if it works out.
AndyH wrote:
sorebutton wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:24 am So you are glad other people's new guns don't work perfectly, because it makes you feel better about your soon-to-be outdated 6rd Glock? Well, ok...
AndyH wrote:All this 'hard to rack when full' and hard to seat a mag with one in the chamber really makes me love my Glocks. Thanks guys! ;)

And no, I'm not glad that anyone else's firearm doesn't work. My SD guns must must must eat anything and must must must always work. The AK of pistols fits those criteria. And that makes me happy.

PS - you did note the smiley, right? ;)
Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I won't be talking about the teeny guns because they don't fit my hand and they hurt to shoot. Frankly, being happily retired, I have no need to try to hide a subcompact in a suit or anything with a tucked-in shirt. I can do sympathy but not empathy, if that makes sense, 'cause I've not had to do all the fashion contortions. The G19 is on my right hip in an IWB kydex clip-on, and the spare mag is on the left side. No NY reloads yet, but if I wore a wide-brimmed hat, I could put a dozen of YT's super-minis around the brim like dingleballs. :roflmao:

Max - I hope your new gun breaks in smoothly!

AndyH wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:00 am No NY reloads yet, but if I wore a wide-brimmed hat, I could put a dozen of YT's super-minis around the brim like dingleballs. :roflmao:
You'd be able to shoot horses with them, well, horse flies, anyway!

I have decided to blame the Sig-Sauer team for 'over marketing' the P365 by exactly one round. This is not a new magazine issue. I have 4 magazines, all from Sig. I loaded them fully for 3 weeks to break in the springs.

First, you can barely load the 10th round. You feel like the metal claws at the top will bend.

Second, it is hard to seat the magazine with the slide closed.

Third, if you leave the chamber empty, and force in a 10 round magazine, it is hard to rack the slide reliably (again, tried with a very broken in range gun - same issues.)

But then I tested ALL of the above with only 9 rounds in the magazine. Everything was easy and worked smoothly. My theory is (without any tools to 'see' inside the closed action) is that the 10th round in the standard magazine is both too compressed in the mag and is also too compressed against the bottom of the slide. This makes the full mag too hard to seat and the slide too hard to rack. Just leave out the 10th round and the problem is solved.

So it appears to me that marketing wants me to believe I have a 10+1 firearm. I think I have a 9+1 firearm. But it shoots great, 9+1 is not bad at all, and the reload ability is great (I can carry a 12 round spare mag). While a bit bigger than my S&W 340, and more square, the P365 fits nicely in my cargo pants pockets. I have an IWB holster for when I need it.

For my own sanity, I am just declaring 9+1 a victory and still a great carry weapon.

I have learned the hard way, multiple times, not to purchase first-gen Sig. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan. But I had issues with 556xi, MPX, p320 first-gens, and maybe more I'm forgetting about. They beta-test on the public these days. It's just their business strategy.

justinf said:

I have learned the hard way, multiple times, not to purchase first-gen Sig.
Justin - I hear you, and I think you are 100% correct. I actually was waiting until people said the make was updated and fixed.

There were early issues with dead triggers and broken strikers.

I just didn't wait long enough ;-)

Thanks for your input. I think your comment about 'Beta testing in the public' is sadly correct.

max129 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:10 pm
justinf said:

I have learned the hard way, multiple times, not to purchase first-gen Sig.
Justin - I hear you, and I think you are 100% correct. I actually was waiting until people said the make was updated and fixed.

There were early issues with dead triggers and broken strikers.

I just didn't wait long enough ;-)

Thanks for your input. I think your comment about 'Beta testing in the public' is sadly correct.
Of course, I still own and purchase Sigs. And I still have the P320s. They make great guns, I just am convinced that these days they don't bring them to market with enough testing and refinement, much like what you said above.

Soliddawn wrote:And now this!

The article: https://www.osagecountyguns.com/blog/ne ... r-p365-xl/

Sadly, there's no telling when or if we'll ever get the 365 in California. Otherwise I'd own one already, after the fixes Sig has done and how well it shoots (from the many reviews I've seen) the 365 is one to pick up
Wondering if the current chassis will accommodate the longer slide? Sig's modular design of the P320 would lead me to believe it might happen.

That said, I'd still stick with the shorter barrel for Concealed Carry.
LGC Texas - Vice President

rolandson wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:05 am Reading the literature from SIG, they claim it has a stainless frame, but I could swear that the frame on this was p!astic. It's on loan to the range I was using and I wasn't comfortable stripping it down to look at its insides...or giving it a scratch test. Next time I am out there, I'll bring a magnet. I think that SIG is referencing some internal structure as the "frame" while calling the part that I would refer to as the frame the "receiver/grip module".
I haven't looked at the internals of a P365, but I suspect (based on an image search) that what they call a frame is similar to the Fire Control Unit on a P320; which is stainless steel.