Re: Lets talk 1911s

CDFingers wrote:[

What does the safety pin do?

CDFingers
Actually, I confused the grip safety with the thumb safety. The grip safety floats on the sear spring and is "pinned" (secured, rather) to the frame BY the thumb safety pin. JMB really had a great idea mired by people infinitely less talented doing the reassembly. It should be noted that unless you like tinkering with your 1911, you should NEVER reach the point of talking about how the safeties go together. :fun:
Last edited by atxgunguy on Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
LGC Texas - Vice President

Wabatuckian wrote:CD,

A pinned grip safety is deactivated; it's held down by a pin.

This is acceptable for target use.

Regards,

Josh
Ah. My grip safety functions and is not deactivated. I don't mind it being there. As I understand it, it's the original design.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Your gun liiks great CD, there is a lot of so called must have modifications that people seem to think is necessary. Flat mainspring housings and pinned grip safeties are 2 of them. Myself I prefer the arched housing and a functional grip safety.

eelj wrote:Your gun liiks great CD, there is a lot of so called must have modifications that people seem to think is necessary. Flat mainspring housings and pinned grip safeties are 2 of them. Myself I prefer the arched housing and a functional grip safety.
Pinning the grip safety is a special kind of dumb. The same people probably hit the sear with a polishing stone so that it is both unsafe and has a hair trigger.
Last edited by atxgunguy on Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

atxgunguy wrote: Pinning the grip safety is a special kind of dumb. The same people probably hit the sear with a polishing stone so that it is both unsafe and has a hair trigger.
It's a reasonable thing to do for certain kinds of target guns. Bad idea for general purpose use, but that doesn't make it dumb.

(I say this as a person whose Hi Power has the magazine safety removed)

Marlene wrote:
atxgunguy wrote: Pinning the grip safety is a special kind of dumb. The same people probably hit the sear with a polishing stone so that it is both unsafe and has a hair trigger.
It's a reasonable thing to do for certain kinds of target guns. Bad idea for general purpose use, but that doesn't make it dumb.

(I say this as a person whose Hi Power has the magazine safety removed)
Ok, dumb is perhaps a harsh word. I'd reword to, "Something I'd never consider doing in the name of wanting keep things on the safe side. YMMV."

Also...removing a magazine safety is just military specifications getting in the way of good clean fun, I say.

atxgunguy wrote:
eelj wrote:Your gun liiks great CD, there is a lot of so called must have modifications that people seem to think is necessary. Flat mainspring housings and pinned grip safeties are 2 of them. Myself I prefer the arched housing and a functional grip safety.
Pinning the grip safety is a special kind of dumb. The same people probably hit the sear with a polishing stone so that it is both unsafe and has a hair trigger.
As Marlene said, it's not.

Additionally, sear work is part of a trigger job. You keep the angles correct (neutral or slightly positive engagement angle) and it's safe. I mean, you have to know what you're doing, but on such a gun, you can smack the hammer with a rubber mallet and it's not going to trip. I know, because I do it.

Regards,

Josh

321FLSurfer wrote:Nice brood Justin!
Thanks guys... obviously these are a little higher on the spectrum but I have a couple Dan Wessons and a TRP are are really close to this level for the kind of money we started out talking about. Really close. Dan Wessons in particular still blow me away what you get for the price.

KlownKannon wrote:Has anybody here had experience with Taurus 1911s? Asking for a friend.
:D

I have a buddy that has one, it runs well and has a bunch of rounds through it. Fit and finish decent at best. I'd probably go Range Officer for a few hundred more, but that's just me and my biases.

KlownKannon wrote:Has anybody here had experience with Taurus 1911s? Asking for a friend.
Not a bad starter 1911 for "getting into the game". At that price point, you can get Rock Island 1911s and they are a much better value for what you get.

PT-1911 was my first 1911. As mentioned above, it is the 1911 I choose to carry and I shoot the most. I got mine when prices were dropping like a rock after the 2016 election. For the price, it has some really good features. Very accurate and reliable. I have had zero issues with it (except that it got me into spending money on 45 ACP and 1911s).

That said, I rarely hear negative opinions about the RIA 1911. I have no experience with them and cannot make a comparison.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

SeanMoney wrote:Has anyone ever bought or used the ATI GSG 1911s? They seem like and easy cheap way to get into one, especially if you like 22lr. ;)
I own the GSG 22lr adaptor and use it on my Colt 1991. Functions well and has been reliable with all kinds of bulk ammo (not picky). The only thing I feel they cheaped out on was the chintzy plastic front sight but I imagine that could be changed out by someone who cared more about it than I did. Very good kit at a decent price. Not exactly the trainer I imagined using it for since shooting the two calibers really make them different guns even while the handle and trigger are exactly the same.

The GSG 22lr kit is the exact same one that they branded as a Sig 1911-22 if that makes any difference to anyone. So yeah, I'd say an ATI version of it should be fine if it's a good price.

I give it a thumbs up even if I don't choose to shoot it so often.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi