Re: I use reading glasses

So I went out and got these 3-1 readers at Whole Paycheck..er I mean Whole Foods, they are 2.5 have a close-up, computer and "normal" vision with no lines.
They were like 24.95 I think? Pricey but they work and I've been shootin' with em on at the indoor range.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.

I use reading glasses

My problem with my progressives is that I would have to tip my head back to get the front sight in focus. This would usually change my POA, so I would tip my head down to get back on target so I would tip back to get in focus. All this nodding kept me from settling down, breathing right, etc. My astigmatism is too bad to use cheap readers, so I had a single focus set made up that brings the front sight of a pistol at arms length to a focus. They work well enough for my rifle with iron sights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bucolic wrote:My problem with my progressives is that I would have to tip my head back to get the front sight in focus. This would usually change my POA, so I would tip my head down to get back on target so I would tip back to get in focus. All this nodding kept me from settling down, breathing right, etc. My astigmatism is too bad to use cheap readers, so I had a single focus set made up that brings the front sight of a pistol at arms length to a focus. They work well enough for my rifle with iron sights.
That head tipping is what happened with my progressive lenses too. Now I use a pair of dollar readers. I get them so they're focused on the front sight with my arm extended as in bullseye shooting. The target is a blurry blob. I figure some day I'll have shooting glasses made. Those twenty five dollar progressives from Whole Foods sounds intriguing, though. I'll shop around.

The vision thing is a challenge for me in shooting.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

I use reading glasses

Pinholes like the adjustable Merit device work for me. I hear they are going out of business though. Midway reports them as discontinued. There are others out there but most are not adjustable. Looking through a tiny pinhole brings everything into focus at the expense of loss of brightness. Physics is a tough mistress.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marlene wrote:If readers make the front sight sharp, then yes. If not, try "computer" glasses.

Before I got progressives, I had a pair of glasses made at front sight distance. They were pretty good.

Here's a bunch of articles on the subject, including one written for eyecare professionals, in case you're having your local optometrist make you glasses for shooting.

http://bullseyepistol.com/wong.htm
I use 1.50 for the computer but I have to go to the 2.50 for my iPhone, I'm thinking the 1.50 is what I should use for shooting but next time I'll try both and see how it goes.

Thanks to all that took the time to respond.

denchiro wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:15 pm I use Sony gadgets cause I like their quality. I mix music trying to grow up as a professional DJ and sometimes I feel I get crazy cause of all that tunes and lines and vibrations depicted on my screen. My eyes almost bleeding, that's why I have a pair of computer glasses that help me to work without any additional tension for my eyes.
:oops2: :sorry:
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

I found this out also at about 10 yards or more I can see either the sights clear...or the target...I choose the front sight and did OK.
Diopters (Reading Glasses) don't works well for over 5 yards it seems, at least the ones I got didn't.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.