Pocket CCW: Kimber K6S or S&W 642 PC

I have been looking for a pocket carry revolver for awhile and I think I am down to the last two candidates:

Kimber K6S and the S&W 642 Performance Center.

Here's the rundown of each:

+Lighter (15 oz)
+Better after-market (grips, holsters, etc)
+Cut for moonclips
+Proven design
+Much cheaper ($578 OTD)
-Sights suck
-Only 5 shots
-38 +p and not 357

Kimber K6S

+357
+6 shots
+great sights
-Heavy (23 oz)
-Can't be cut for clips and standard speedloaders won't work
-1 year warranty
-Unproven design
-Cost (about $920 OTD)

What do you folks think?

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Re: Pocket CCW: Kimber K6S or S&W 642 PC

The 642 and its Airweight brethren are popular pocket carry choices because of their weight. The K6 is an excellent small revolver, but I don't know that I'd want to carry it in a pocket because it's heavier and slightly fatter. By the way, standard speedloaders work fine with a K6-- I use the HKS #10 with mine.

Another consideration is how much practice you'd be able to do with the small revolver. I've had a couple of Airweights-- a 642 and a 438-- and got rid of them because I didn't want to deal with that level of recoil any more. A heavier one is easier to handle--- I can do more than a hundred rounds of .38+P level ammunition in an outing with the K6 or a 640 with no trouble, but dreaded trying to finish a box of 50 with the Airweights. You might not have the same problem if you're endowed with massive manly wrists (I'm not).

If it's definitely going to be pocket carry all the time, then an Airweight is going to be the right choice, I think, despite its shortcomings. If you really want to try a heavier pocket pistol, a 640 might be better than the Kimber, as it's not as fat and thus conceals better. Check out the Mika holsters for pocket carry; they conceal better than the usual DeSantis.

You might be better off if you can figure out a way to belt carry. I do it by wearing Hawaiian shirts when it's warm, and a light Scott E-Vest when it's not. Pocket carry doesn't work very well when you're sitting down.
Reunite Pangea!

I've shot my friend's K6S on a few occasions. If you stick with 38sp+p, it's a very comfortable and viable option for CCW/IWB. 357mag through the Kimber is very...unpleasant. My own accuracy goes to shit at 7-yds with 357, but 38sp (+p) yields nice groups.

While it's very nice to look at and all...for the money, it's not worth it.

Also, the weight makes the K6S barely pocketable. My friend reiterated a remark he saw on the interwebs of it being, "a j-frame sized anvil" in your pocket.
Last edited by atxgunguy on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
LGC Texas - Vice President

atxgunguy wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:27 am ... Also, the weight makes the K6S barely pocketable. My friend reiterated a remark he saw on the interwebs of it being, "a j-frame sized anvil" in your pocket.
Perhaps I'm biased because I own a 642, but I can't see trying to pocket carry the K6S. If you are a big guy you might be able to pull it off, but I see the J-frame as pretty much the upper limit on size and weight for the front pocket. And that is assuming cargoes with ample pockets. With jeans, I typically switch to my LCP.
Member, LGC

senorgrand wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:27 amThanks!
For what it's worth from someone with no experience!

I don't think you're going to like shooting 357 out of either (I don't really like it out of my 686), so the .38 isn't a disadvantage since that's what you'll load it with. Just to add some confusion, I got to shoot drigeba's .32 mag SP101 at the Sacto meetup. That's a nice round as well and would get you back up to 6 with an LCR 327, with the ability to upload to 327 if you want to bring on the hurt. Also CA legal, for what it's worth.

senorgrand wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:57 pm It turns-out the S&W 360 Airweight is on roster. While I doubt I would ever shoot full house 357s from it, I would like the option of shooting reduced 357 loads that had a bit more umph than 38 +p.

What do you think?

Nice gun but that grip would end up in the trash if I owned it. Anyway, I think that the 360 is a nice choice that gives you the opportunity to use .357 if you decide you want to. Speer Gold Dot 135gr is about the tamest magnum that I have tried, almost like 38 Special +p+. Not much more recoil than 38 +p, you could practice with the 38s and carry magnums.
Also, the 640/649 is a nice but slightly heavier option.

An exposed hammer might not be the best choice for pocket carry, though you could probably train yourself to always have your thumb on the spur when you draw. Probably need a smaller grip, too, unless you have big pockets.

Edit to add: if the 360 appeals to you, check out the 340PD. It's an Airlight .357 with an internal hammer. Weighs 11.4 ounces, so sure to be a lot of fun to shoot. :crazy:
Reunite Pangea!